looking for advice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
looking for advice

I am starting a 15g high planted tank. I have never done this before and am looking for good starting plant suggestions and any general advice. The dust has settled after putting down 3 inches of flourite and about an inch to an inch and a half of a sand cap. I have a "C" Whisper filter and heater and am going to try a DYI Co2 injection that I found on this site. Thanks to all for reading
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 11:37 PM

I wouldn't start with a highly/heavily planted tank for your first tank, I would start with a lightly planted tank, because if you're a starter, then you would for sure have a lot of problems with your fauna (fish) and plants, even though you read a lot. start easy first then go big! And welcome to the plantedtank!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanx for the reply and i'll do that and start slow-cool

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 02:13 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
I actually disagree, if you are going for a planted tank you will have your lights on for a long period of time regardless of whether you have a lot of plants or a few. The difference is that if you have a few plants, you are going to have lots of algae, whereas with lots of plants you will have less. If you start out with a hardy fish species and a fast growing plant for the wattage you are going to use, then the biggest problem will be algae.

What you should do is make sure the CO2 is up and running and then fill the tank with a bunch of fast growing stem plants. By choosing easy to care for plants you are avoiding the pitfall of adding in all the plants you want which may or may not do well in a non-established tank.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 02:21 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Don't know if it'll help you, but I just posted my journal of my first tank, also a 15g.

Here it is: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...15-gallon.html

Hope it'll tell you some things NOT to do!! Best of luck!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanx for all the advice-the algae theory sounds right and i read skoorbza's blog and i'm glad to see that i'm not the only one out there that has used playsand w/out rinsing it-lol-so far so good-went out and got a few plants yesterday-some italian val and some dwarf hairgrass. Its all work in progress.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 12:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
IMO Dwarf Hairgrass is not really a beginner plant.... although I wish you all the luck in the world with it!

I'd start out with a tank full of Hygro.... get it growing good then thin it out and add other plants. You will have fewer problems with fast and easy to grow plants like Hygro.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 01:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Have to agree. Load the tank up with easy fast growing stems. Hyrgo is one of them but there are plenty of others. If you start off slow you are definitely inviting algae to take over. Check the swap and shop. You should be able to get plenty of stems at a reasonable price. Then when the tank is established start thinning and replace with other plants. That will give you some time to decide what else you might like in the tank. As you thin out the stems you can resell them on the swap and shop.

You didn't mention how much light you will have. That will play a big part in what type of plants you will go with.

Larry Bugg
Atlanta Area Aquarium Association
North American Discus Association - Vice President
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have the 15 watt that came with it but I am upgrading that this weekend.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 06:06 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Smile

My 10 G has been running about 3 weeks. I keep sticking plants in there. Some are actually doing well, some are melting away.
My biggest challenges so far is knowing HOW to plant. Does it go in the soil, float or tie it down?
How do you keep them from floating 2 seconds after you plant them?
And how do I get rid of the tannin from the driftwood. I hate that yellow water. Purigen was recommended but I can't find it.
Anyway, didn't mean to hijack the thread here, just wanted to say go for all the plants you can and see which ones will work for your light and soil, be patient and enjoy the process.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 06:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
[quote=grammypat;676312]Some are actually doing well, some are melting away.]
Some plants will melt the first week or two after being planted until they adjust and start growing. Crypts are infamous for this

[My biggest challenges so far is knowing HOW to plant. Does it go in the soil, float or tie it down?]
Depends on the plant. Stems go in the substrate but plants like anubias and Java fern have rhizomes that have to be above the substrate, that is why you find them on driftwood or rocks.

[And how do I get rid of the tannin from the driftwood. I hate that yellow water. Purigen was recommended but I can't find it.]
Best way is to boil the driftwood before putting it in the tank.

Larry Bugg
Atlanta Area Aquarium Association
North American Discus Association - Vice President
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 06:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1
Find Purigen on ebay.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode