Setting up and leveling 125g - The Planted Tank Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
tylergvolk's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Saint Paul
Posts: 1,730
Setting up and leveling 125g

I've read many conflicting opinions on the net about how to property setup a tank of this size.

Brand new Marineland 125g
Used homemade stand painted
1960's built house (built strong)

The stand is going to sit across 4-5 trusses, in the center of my house, right on top of the steel beam that runs across the length of my house. I'm pretty confident that the house should support the weight of the tank but I wanted to see what your reactions were.

Also, starting 4 inches from either end, the stand tapers off downward by 1/16 to 1/8. Essentially creating a hump in the middle. Is this enough variation for me to be worried about or do you think that the variation is so small it's not gonna matter?
tylergvolk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 05:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
klibs's Avatar
 
PTrader: (29/100%)
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NH
Posts: 3,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylergvolk View Post
Also, starting 4 inches from either end, the stand tapers off downward by 1/16 to 1/8. Essentially creating a hump in the middle. Is this enough variation for me to be worried about or do you think that the variation is so small it's not gonna matter?
Not sure what this means. Can you do a quick diagram?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
klibs is offline  
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 05:28 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
brooksie321's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Mass
Posts: 1,041
You mean that if you put the tank on the stand there would be an 1/8" gap in the middle? Or it would be rocking on a hump in the middle?
brooksie321 is offline  
 
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 05:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
FewestKitten896's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 556
The location of the tank should be fine. Can you take a picture of your stand? Depending on how the stand was built, you could use shims but it depends on what the tank is sitting on, a flat piece of plywood or if it is sitting directly on your stand supports (2x4's or whatever you used for the frame.

I only have a 36" tank and had the same issue with the downward taper. I had plywood on top so I stuck shims between the plywood and the frame of the of the stand and evened it out so I have virtually no gap.
FewestKitten896 is offline  
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 09:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
tomfromstlouis's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Saint Louis
Posts: 802
You want the stand to be dead flat under the tank before filling. Check that, you NEED the stand to be dead flat under the tank.

My LFS owner claims that every tank leak story he hears confirms that not level or not flat were the primary problems.

I recommend thin shims under a stout sheet of plywood or similar. Glass does NOT like to be stressed.

RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tomfromstlouis is offline  
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 10:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (84/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 21,012
The top of the stand needs to be flat, so all of the tank surface in contact with the stand will be supported. And, the stand needs to be leveled with shims under the feet or along the edges, so the tank will be level when on the stand. You can use a thin cushion material between the stand and tank to even out the pressure on the tank, if there are small irregularities in the top of the stand.

Hoppy
Hoppy is offline  
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
tylergvolk's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Saint Paul
Posts: 1,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksie321 View Post
You mean that if you put the tank on the stand there would be an 1/8" gap in the middle? Or it would be rocking on a hump in the middle?
Hump in the middle
tylergvolk is offline  
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 12:56 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
brooksie321's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Mass
Posts: 1,041
When the stand is sitting on the floor? Is there any center support/leg to the floor or just both sides?
brooksie321 is offline  
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
tylergvolk's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Saint Paul
Posts: 1,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by FewestKitten896 View Post

I only have a 36" tank and had the same issue with the downward taper. I had plywood on top so I stuck shims between the plywood and the frame of the of the stand and evened it out so I have virtually no gap.
I will take a closer look at the stand and see if this clever idea will work for me.
tylergvolk is offline  
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 01:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Ca.
Posts: 625
Set the tank on the stand use a business card if it slides under the tank anywhere you have a issue if its a minimal gap I use a yoga matt purchased at your local Walmart Tarket Kmart ect set under the tank

125g,75g,50g,40g,27g,10g
Aqguy is offline  
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
tylergvolk's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Saint Paul
Posts: 1,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
You can use a thin cushion material between the stand and tank to even out the pressure on the tank, if there are small irregularities in the top of the stand.
Yeah, I've read a lot about this. I was wondering if 1/16-1/8 irregularities warrants a this cushion material or can I get away without one.

From the sounds of everyone's opinion, I should try and shim the stand first then use 1/4 styrofoam or yoga mat or something.
tylergvolk is offline  
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 02:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Contra Costa CA
Posts: 11,721
The irregularities that can be handled with a mat are like the grain of the wood, not a stand that is not level.
Diana is offline  
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
tylergvolk's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Saint Paul
Posts: 1,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
The irregularities that can be handled with a mat are like the grain of the wood, not a stand that is not level.
This is my question exactly. Are 1/16-1/8" irregularities small enough for no mat/pad/styrofoam or am I better off with one?
tylergvolk is offline  
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 11:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Contra Costa CA
Posts: 11,721
1/8" is way too big to put a tank on the stand with no mat. I would try to find out what the problem is, and shim or sand or whatever is needed to get rid of the irregularity.
1/16" is still a bit of a problem, but getting better. I would still try to get rid of it. However, I use 1/2" thick Styrofoam sold for insulation under my tanks, and 1/16" might not be so bad with that much cushion.

As suggested above:
Put the empty tank on the stand and run a business card around it. See if you can slip the business card between stand and tank. If you can easily do this there is cause to worry.
80 pound cardstock (middle of the range for business card thickness) is about 1/100".
Diana is offline  
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
 
tylergvolk's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Saint Paul
Posts: 1,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
1/8" is way too big to put a tank on the stand with no mat. I would try to find out what the problem is, and shim or sand or whatever is needed to get rid of the irregularity.
1/16" is still a bit of a problem, but getting better. I would still try to get rid of it. However, I use 1/2" thick Styrofoam sold for insulation under my tanks, and 1/16" might not be so bad with that much cushion.

As suggested above:
Put the empty tank on the stand and run a business card around it. See if you can slip the business card between stand and tank. If you can easily do this there is cause to worry.
80 pound cardstock (middle of the range for business card thickness) is about 1/100".
Thank you. I'll see what I can do and report back.
tylergvolk is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome