Increased growth (higher CO2) = shorter plant life? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Increased growth (higher CO2) = shorter plant life?

Hi all,

I'm wondering if boosting plant growth through higher levels of CO2 will shorten the lifespan of our plants.

I know that the longest-living plants are extremely slow growers, and although I don't know the mechanism it makes sense that boosting their growth rate would "use up" more of their...er....life-force....er...sorry...in a shorter period.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 06:57 AM
Algae Grower

I've had plants in a co2 injected tank for about two years now and they're still growing so I personally think it doesn't matter the co2 just creates ideal conditions for the plants to thrive where as low tech tanks are more harsh environments which reduces their growth rates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 07:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Smile "Life-Force" is an Inexhaustible Supply Around Us

Plants are annuals or perennials, they propagate by whatever there means are; providing fertilizer, carbon bring the primary component, and CO2 becomes the top the top “fert.”

Carbon dioxide is really no different than any other fertilizer, the plant can only be limited by it, the plant will never overuse it, any more than a plant would over-use Nitrates or Boron.

Joe

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRoun View Post
Plants are annuals or perennials, they propagate by whatever there means are; providing fertilizer, carbon bring the primary component, and CO2 becomes the top the top “fert.”

Carbon dioxide is really no different than any other fertilizer, the plant can only be limited by it, the plant will never overuse it, any more than a plant would over-use Nitrates or Boron.

Joe
Yeah, but that doesn't mean that partially depriving the plant of some set of nutrients/fertilizer won't help it live longer.

Yeasts, mice, and monkeys (humans maybe) live significantly longer in half-starvation mode.

I'm just curious, mind you. I give my plants plenty of ferts, CO2, and light. I don't care if that makes them burn out faster, as long as they look pretty before they do.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 10:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Stem plants live forever! We cut off the bottoms, and replant the tops, or we give away the tops to be used in other aquariums, so that our plant soon exists in tanks all over the world, never dieing! (That is only a slight exaggeration.)

Hoppy
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 12:48 AM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Stem plants live forever! We cut off the bottoms, and replant the tops, or we give away the tops to be used in other aquariums, so that our plant soon exists in tanks all over the world, never dieing! (That is only a slight exaggeration.)
True. I agree 100%

Aquatic stem plants are immortal, they do not have annual seasons/perennial etc like land plants.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 01:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have never had a plant die of old age, in fact it is debatable whether plants even can die of old age (and the discussion is generally centered on defining what exactly constitutes dying of old age).

I suspect the closest you will ever get in an aquarium is having a plant grow too large.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 07:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Smile Obviously a Plantest Bigot… Plants Rule!

I actually think you are betraying your mammal-centric belief system.

Members of kingdom Plantae generally do not have the same sorts of energy storage cells as members of other kingdoms. There are plants that grow for centuries, even millennia, some plants are biologically immortal. That does not even count the plants that clone themselves.

Plants simply function in a different biological system. Plants also tend to regulate themselves based on nutritional and photonic availability.

Some plants grow until they flower and/or fruit. I kept a couple of Sweet Basil (Ocimum basilicum) plants growing on the north side of my house for over 2-years, by removing the buds before they could flower, the one time I did not catch them the plants flowered, then withered within days.

Generally plants will not abuse an unlimited supply of nutrients the way my dog and I will.

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachawry View Post
Yeah, but that doesn't mean that partially depriving the plant of some set of nutrients/fertilizer won't help it live longer.

Yeasts, mice, and monkeys (humans maybe) live significantly longer in half-starvation mode.

I'm just curious, mind you. I give my plants plenty of ferts, CO2, and light. I don't care if that makes them burn out faster, as long as they look pretty before they do.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode