Time to Euthanize? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
TJT

PTrader: (0/0%)
Time to Euthanize?

This is the second fish ive lost in 2 weeks over night right after i did a waterchange. The real problem with this time is its one of my Blood pigeon discus. Last week i lost a Rosey barb over night, the next morning he was stiff at the surface not even breathing. Right now my Discus is breathing heavy, floating to the top, but when i put the net close to him he can still swim but it isnt looking good.

I have also noticed he is VERY bloated, at least twice the size of the other discus i have only where his stomach is. I really dont know the cause of them dying, i know my nitrates nitrites and ammonia are all in check, the temps are decent. Do fish usualy bloat from something?

Also is it time to finish the job for this guy, i dont want him to suffer but i dont want to kill him if he might have a chance, yesterday he was swimming and eating fine, but he did seem a bit timmid when i was cleaning the tank. The last time i had seen him hidning like he was last night was right when he came down with the itch, but i treated that and it went away in 2-3 days.

obvously some quick help would be nice i dont want this fish to suffer if it doesnt have too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 04:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1
I do not know discus, so I will not give advice there. But I do know ich, and it doesn't just go away easily. What did you treat it with, and was this done in a QT tank?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
TJT

The only fish in the tank that had it was this discus. I used Nox-ich for about 3 days and it cleared up quickly, i also raised the temps from about 78to 84 over those 3 days.

All the visual signs of "ich" are gone, i havent seen any fish acting strange untill i started cleaning the tank last night and this discus was hidning behind a rock much like when he had ich about a month back.

I didnt treat him in a QT tank, it treated the whole main tank that all my fish are in.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I ask because ich has many stages to it's life cycle, including one where it is visible, one where the trophonts bore into the fish, and one where they drop off and reproduce, usually coming back with more on the second round. How long has it been since the ich was visible, and you treated?
edit: I see, about a month.
Hopefully a discus expert will be along soon to give advice. I wish you well, and hope the fish will be ok.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
TJT

Thanks for your help.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
TJT

Ive done some calling to the lfs and they said it might be dropsy, because of the swelling and how quickly it happened(overnight). I did some reading and the only thing i cant notice is the "pinecone" look from the scales because of how small the discus scales are.

i posted a picture i found on the internet of a fish with dropsy and basicly this looks exactly like the body of my discus without the scale "pinecone" look.

http://64.92.110.31/images/categories/C53.jpg
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 05:43 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/

these guys might be able to help.

90G - CA community tank (Jack Dempsey, Fire Mouth, Blood Parrot). 8 Tiger Barbs, 3 Clown Loaches, 3 bristlenose Pleco's.
20G (tall) - Planted. 4 neons, 8 rummy nose tetras, 3 ottos.
5.5G - Dwarf Hairgrass playland for Beta and 2 ottos.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 09:11 PM

PTrader: (8/100%)
I as well dont know Discus but i do know from many many cases of ich that it takes 14-28 days to completely be rid of it.

If you dont know this already the best treatment for ich is as follows:

Raise temp to 84 slowly.

Add Aquarium Salt, i usually use double what the container says to treat ich.

Treat with some sort of ich med, Don't run carbon while treating it just sucks the medicine back out of the water.

Keep the Temp at 84,and the Aquarium Salt in the water for a full 28 days. Follow the Ich Med Directions to the letter as far as doses and water changes if called for.

This is what has worked for me, i also use Aquarium Salt all the time, and since i started using it i have not had a single case of ich.

The bloating could be caused by ich that have burrowed into the flesh of the fish and caused swelling, but that is pure speculation on my part.

In saltwater many keepers swear but Kent Extreme Garlic and Selcon to help treat ich, i cant say that they help with ich, but they do help boost the fishes immune system and i have seen the combination of the two cure hole in head and lateral line erosion first hand. You soak their food in the two then feed as normal. If the fish is still eating it couldn't hurt to try. I always reserve killing an animal as an extreme last resort, usually if it is at risk of infecting the rest of the stock.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
TJT

UPDATE

What you have said i bacilly followed to a "T", thats why i dont belive it is itch.(also i dont want to dose my tank with aquarium salt right now as ive read it will cause the fish to retain more water and basicly kill them quicker if it is in fact dropsy. Ive read Epsom salts work though as the fish dont obsorb it like normal aquarium salt)

When i went to the lfs for some help he suggested a medication called KanaPlex from Seachem. I dosed today about 7 hours ago. At that time the discus couldnt swim off the surface of the water, he kept going from coner to coner where he would sit and breath.

Ive just come homw from work and looked in all the coners and he wasnt there. So i checked around the tank, he isnt out of the woods by anymeans, but he is swimming around the tank... all be it still a little strange as he is consistantly swimming facing down(like he is fighting floating to the top) but he does look better then laying flat on the surface of the water.

I reduced my lighting so if he were to be at the top it wouldnt stress him out, ive also turned my powerhead off as when my fiancee found him this morning the current had him pinned in the conner(she was upset seeing him that way and rightfully so)

Id have to say just the fact he can swim he looked 100 times better, but i have a feeling tonight will be the real test if he makes it threw the night or not.

He does seem bloated still i cant say if its more or less.

I wanted to do a small WC tonight around 10-20%, should i just wait a day and see if he gets better, i dont want to stress him out anymore. I just want to make sure i keep the water clean as ive read dropsy is passable to other fish.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
TJT

Well in 24 hours this discus went from being found pushed into the coner of my tank from my power head unable to swim and about twice as wide as normal to today where he is swiming around the tank comming to the front of the glass when i walk bye waiting for food... Talk about a turn around, i was really consitering putting this fish "out of missery". Im glad i gave him a while.

Im going to do some small WC for 2 weeks and try to keep him as happy as i can, i know 24 hours doesnt mean hes over whatever he had but ill do my best with keeping him tank really clean(i alreayd do 40% wc a week but ill start doing smaller ones threwout the week)

I did have a concern, im treating the tank with KanaPlex from Seachem, will this have any side effects on the babie fish that are litterly 2 days old, i realized i had them the day i saw the fish sick. Im going to finish treating the tank for 4 more days(once every 2 days) but just want to make sure this stuff is ok on the little guys.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 07:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Yay, so glad your fish is doing better! I am not sure about the Seachem product, but you could ask them. They are very fast to reply to answers either through e-mail, or at apc.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode