JEBO 835 100GA filter & first cleaning - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
JEBO 835 100GA filter & first cleaning

I set up my 60GA tank on 2/12/14.. It is planted but not heavily.. I am using API C02 Booster & Excel Flourish, along with API Root Tabs as I cannot afford a C02 system yet (still looking for a job). There has only been a couple of causalities so far, and none of them my original fish from my 50GA tank.. Even the three goldfish I put into the tank to prime it, are still growing!. All total, I have (5) yoo-yoo loaches, (3) clown loaches, (2) algae eaters, (3) gold fish, (3) red-line torpedoes, (1) full-grown angel, and (1) rosbora. So far so good, but I do have a question. I installed a JEBO 835 100GA cannister filter and I am about to do my first cleaning. I have asked several people and they mentioned that I could get about 6 months out of the first set-up before I would need to clean it. While doing some plant pruning, I noticed that the return tube water pressure wasn't very strong. I figured its time.. Does anyone else use the JEBO filter foam or just any piece of foam? I have never used a cannister before and plan to just change the carbon and the top piece of foam. The filter media and bio foam I will not touch as I do understand that is where my biologicals reside.. If you do use the JEBO filter foam pads, any suggestions as to where the best place to buy them? Thank you all for the help..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 02:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I don't use that specific canister but there are some general ideas that apply to most canisters. My first thought is that you have done well to understand that you do want to protect the little friends! After this long, you don't have to be as careful as when it was only a month old but they are doing a job for you and deserve respect.
Many find that they can replace some of the media if they choose as that leaves a good deal of the bacteria in other media and the tank itself. At this point there will be good bacteria all through the tank so losing 10-20 % is not a problem.
But many find no need of carbon, It tends to be a messy, unneeded expense so we change out that portion and replace it with other media which doesn't clog as quickly. Carbon is often considered to have all the tiny pores filled after only a few weeks. A layer of cheaper, easier to manage sponge perhaps?
From there I would look at simply rinsing out the other media to clear it of the major debris and then reuse it. At some point, you may find things begin to fall apart from simple wear. At that time I often buy a pad of media and cut it to fit. Very easy job and much cheaper. It also gives you an unlimited number of types of media to choose which you feel works best for you.
This is the type from one source but there are many others.
http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Floss-...ter-Media.aspx
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks Rich... I will replace the dirty floss with clean stuff and can incorporate an additional layer of floss instead of using carbon. I will gently rinse the ceramic filter media in some "removed" tank water, as I will also do a partial water change... Appreciate the input...

Lori

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode