Cut tops, replant them, and remove the cut stems 5 25.00%
Other? Please post 2 10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
Trimming Stemmed Plants

How do you guys do it? Trim the tops and keep the cut stems planted? Trim the tops and plant the tops while uprooting the cut stems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 10:38 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
I do both. Sometimes I will replant the tops and let the cut stems continue to grow sometimes I will remove the bottom and plant the tops. Just depends on what I'm trying to do.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 12:28 PM
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (66/100%)
Right now since my tank is new I'm cutting the stems and replanting the tops next to the "old" stems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I cut and replant too at this time. I have from time to time remove cut off the bottom and replant the tops cuase the bottoms can get thin looking.

My planted tank. 55 gallon fluorite substrate over soil, 64 watts of light, excel twice a week. Weekly water changes. Angelfish pair, guppies, BN plecos and otos. Redone 11/13/2012
One non planted tanks. 75 gallon.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 01:06 PM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
Depends on the plant. Most stems I just trim the tops and sell them in the SNS.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 02:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Ain't this site great!!! LOL

Driving to work this morning I was considering just this and thinking about starting a thread. I live in Atlanta so I have a lot of time to think on my commute, ever been in Atlanta traffic? Decided I should do a search first only to find that ktsgolfer had already started one this morning. Thanks ktsgolfer.

This is exactly where I was thinking but with some specific's. Are there particular stems that you cut one particular way because they do best or look best cut one way. Example, I stopped using Ludwigia repens because when I trimmed it roots would become prolific and ugly around the cut area. I love the plant so I am just starting to use it again but plan on pulling the stem at trim time cutting off the bottom and replanting with the hope that the above water roots will not be so bad. I also use this method with my Cabomba because it just seems to respond and look better when trimmed in this mannor. With other stems I want to encourage side stems so I cut and let it grow out. Or maybe a combination of both with some stems.......first trim cut and let it grow back out, second trim cut below the first cut and plant where roots have formed.

While comptemplating this I thougt it would be great to have a list of common stems and the best proven method of trimming and maintaining each individual stem. This topic does seem to come up a lot and having a list to check would be great.

Can you guys list some of your favorites and how you trim each with some reasons for doing it that way?

Larry Bugg
Atlanta Area Aquarium Association
North American Discus Association - Vice President
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 12:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
bump

Larry Bugg
Atlanta Area Aquarium Association
North American Discus Association - Vice President
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 01:10 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
It depends on the plant and what look you are trying to create. When cutting top and replanting you get a plant that will grow tall with a narrow stands. Their will be some off shoots but not many. When you cut tops and leave the plant with roots, the plant will grow bushy. When I grew stem plants to sell or trade at my LFS I would use rooted stem plants as grower plants and cut tops to sell. Worked great! tall straight stems for selling that looked great. IN some of my show tanks I would use the rooted bush plant as mid ground plants as well as the tall stems in the back. Stem plants are great but get to be pain when you have to trim allot.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
haha crazy coincidence lol. i searched and didnt really find anything that helped me. so i started this thread. its amazing because the two plants that you described in your above post were the exact two that i were going to trim.

for the ludwigia i tried trimming the tops and leaving the bottoms however i found that i do not like how it looks. it looks really messy and bushy. so next time i will probably trim and replant the tops, and uproot the stems to get the nice organized straight stem look.

for the cabomba i noticed that the bottom leaves of the stems were browning so i decided to cut the tops and replant them in place of the cut stems which was i actually like a lot better.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 01:54 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yes , thats one of the draw backs to having stem plants that grow too bushy. The bottom leaves will not get enough light and turn brown. Stem plant are great as starter plants because they can be used as back, mid and foreground plants. In a 15gal tank I used Hygrophila polysperma as a foreground plant. I really turned out great. It took allot of training to get it to grow horizontal but was worth the time.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode