Cloudy tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cloudy tank?

My tank has a bit of a white cloudiness to it today. Let me give you some background...

125 gallon tank, lightly planted.

I added SMS substrate 2 weeks ago (I pulled out all the gravel) so I am still cycling. Yesterday I did a water change and it has seemed cloudy ever since.

The SMS was a bear to rinse. Even when I put it in the tank after so many rinses I thought I was insane, the tank still looked like mud. But it cleared up and until yesterday's water change it looked fine. I changed about 20% of the water.

So what is the white cloudiness? From not being cycled? Could I have put too much Prime in the new water? Is the SMS just not clean enough?

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 01:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
sounds like a bacterial bloom. It'll pass in a few days
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 03:40 AM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfalconf35 View Post
sounds like a bacterial bloom. It'll pass in a few days
yup

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cool, thanks you two. I haven't had to cycle this tank in a year, but ripping but the old substrate probably destroyed the old cycle. Nothing like starting over.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's been a week now and it has not passed. I did a 20% water change today but it did not help one bit.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 04:45 AM
Algae Grower

Are you by any chance using straight tap water when you refill after water changes? If so you would be killing all your beneficial bacteria and prolonging the cloudyness. If you are, in the future make sure you always treat the tap water with a dechlorinator first or just get it ready in buckets the day before and let it sit out for 24 hours.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 10:36 AM

PTrader: (8/100%)
you can always take a panty hose fill one leg with carbon,tie off the end, Cut off excess, and drop it in. Panty hose the kind like long socks cost .33 at wal Mart, and make for a Cheap way for those of us without Canister Filters to Run Carbon.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Will the carbon help? I have a large container of carbon and a bag that it goes in for the canister filter. There is carbon in there now, it might be 2 months old though.

I usually put tap water right in the tank and then treat it. Last time I did the water change though because I was not cycled I treated it before it went in the tank, and that is when the cloudiness started.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 01:50 PM
Planted Member

if it is bacteria bloom the best thing is to just wait it out, carbon won't help that. It is usually just a week, but I have seen it take a couple before.

The usual instructions on dechlorinator is to add enough for the volume of the tank to the water, then put in the tap water. That is the instructions from Prime, which is what I use. If you do it backwards with a large change it can cause problems. With a healthy filter and smaller change the chlorine is to small a concentration to matter, but I'd still do it the proper way.

46 gallon bowfront, Dalmatian Mollies, Swordtails, Otos
75 gallon Lake Malawi African Cichlids
3 gallon nano desktop with Betta at the office
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 04:57 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbob2112 View Post
if it is bacteria bloom the best thing is to just wait it out, carbon won't help that. It is usually just a week, but I have seen it take a couple before.

The usual instructions on dechlorinator is to add enough for the volume of the tank to the water, then put in the tap water. That is the instructions from Prime, which is what I use. If you do it backwards with a large change it can cause problems. With a healthy filter and smaller change the chlorine is to small a concentration to matter, but I'd still do it the proper way.
Up until now I have always had smaller tanks, so I usualy just dechlorinate the water first in a bucket, and to be safe I let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes before I fill the tank back up. I've never had a bacterial bloom after a water change using that method.

But now, with a 65 gallon I am going to have to fill the tnak up directly and put the dechlorinator in first. Hopefully it will still work fine for me. The dechlorinator I always use is Aquasafe, I like how you can see the bubbles of chlorine/chloramine coming out of solution with it .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode