Can All this fit - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can All this fit

Started a new 60 gallon Aquarium. Making sure that I"m not overstocking it, this is what I'm wanting to put in there.

Emperor Pleco - 1
Male Betta - 1
Orangetail Lyre Tail Molly - 4
Blue Redtail Loach - 2
Reticula Corydoras Catfish - 2
Blue King Tetras - 4
Rainbow Shark - 4
Jet Black Angelfish - 2
Zebra Loac - 1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 06:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Probably a little overstocked. And dpending on how big the Tetras get they may be food for adult Angel fish.
But getting one and two of a knd of several types of fish because you think they look cool is not actually a cool way of stocking a tank. Fish live in schools. If there are less than a few of them together they feel lost from the school and suffer stress from it
that isn't there when in proper numbers.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

How many need to be of each kind then to feel like in a school

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 07:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Put AqAdvisor in search on Yahoo and it will help you a lot on this and the stocking question.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 07:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
IMO just stick to a school of one small species. Small groups of 4 tetras / mollies won't be as awesome as like 8 - 15 tetras that school all the time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 10:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Emperor Pleco - 1Is this the one? Looks like a nice fish! Make sure you follow their dietary needs. This will be tricky with other species that prefer more protein. How do you stop this one from eating the other fishes' food?
http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/...species_id=126
Male Betta - 1 Good, just one, and no other relatives (Gouramis, Paradise fish)
Orangetail Lyre Tail Molly - 4 Omit- hard water fish, not compatible with the others.
Blue Redtail Loach - 2 WAY too big for this tank. Omit.
http://www.loaches.com/species-index...otakia-modesta
Reticula Corydoras Catfish - 2 Shoaling, get more. Half a dozen or more.
Blue King Tetras - 4 Need better ID on this one. Most Tetras are schooling fish, and if this is one of the species that may reach 1.5-2" then I would try for 12-18 fish in this sized tank.
Rainbow Shark - 4 While not as territorial as Red Tail Sharks, these may be just a bit too pushy to keep this many in one tank. Leave the Cories and Loaches on the bottom, and skip the shark.
Jet Black Angelfish - 2 OK, just make sure it is 2 females, or a male and female that get along. If you can get juveniles, get about 5, then select whichever pair works. Sell the others, or put them in a different tank.
Zebra Loach - 1 Peaceful shoaling fish that will thrive best in a group. Half a dozen is the minimum I would keep. Really nice fish.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2014, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Emperor Pleco - 1Is this the one? Looks like a nice fish! Make sure you follow their dietary needs. This will be tricky with other species that prefer more protein. How do you stop this one from eating the other fishes' food?
http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/...species_id=126
Male Betta - 1 Good, just one, and no other relatives (Gouramis, Paradise fish)
Orangetail Lyre Tail Molly - 4 Omit- hard water fish, not compatible with the others.
Blue Redtail Loach - 2 WAY too big for this tank. Omit.
http://www.loaches.com/species-index...otakia-modesta
Reticula Corydoras Catfish - 2 Shoaling, get more. Half a dozen or more.
Blue King Tetras - 4 Need better ID on this one. Most Tetras are schooling fish, and if this is one of the species that may reach 1.5-2" then I would try for 12-18 fish in this sized tank.
Rainbow Shark - 4 While not as territorial as Red Tail Sharks, these may be just a bit too pushy to keep this many in one tank. Leave the Cories and Loaches on the bottom, and skip the shark.
Jet Black Angelfish - 2 OK, just make sure it is 2 females, or a male and female that get along. If you can get juveniles, get about 5, then select whichever pair works. Sell the others, or put them in a different tank.
Zebra Loach - 1 Peaceful shoaling fish that will thrive best in a group. Half a dozen is the minimum I would keep. Really nice fish.
Holy crap you are my hero. Thank you for going through that. I don't understand the Molly's (Hard water fish?)

The Angelfish I was going to get a mated pair hopefully.

I'll get an updated list with your recommendations now

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode