75 gallon tank 2nd floor apartment - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (38/100%)
75 gallon tank 2nd floor apartment

Hi everyone,
I am moving next year into a new apartment complex, probably to a 2nd or third floor apartment. The complex is brand new (is still under construction). I want to upgrade my Oscar from his 55 to a 75 gallon tank when we move. Will the tank be OK in the new apartment if I put plywood under it and place it against a load bearing wall?
Thanks
Christina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 09:07 PM
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (66/100%)
You'll be fine either way...I'd forget the plywood underneath...I don't think it will really help

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 09:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (36/100%)
i had an oceanic 92 gal corner in an ooollllllldddddd building on the 2nd floor u will be fine the only thing u have to worry about is if the tank breaks for flooding... my apt made me get flood insurance to keep it..

i love to watch grass grow.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 10:05 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Most folks would say you're safe up to a ~100 gallon tank. The only thing that would concern me is an iron stand (seeing as the legs are pretty small, leading to a high punching load on each leg). Most wood stands distribute the load pretty well, so I wouldn't mess with the plywood. It would likely give you more issues than what it's worth. Good idea keeping it along a wall though.

I got lucky moving into my new apartment. All of the floors are solid concrete, so I have nothing to worry about. Just make sure you never have a leak, or your neighbors below you might become enemies. I had to ask before signing the lease that large aquariums are allowed, some places discourage it (or make you pay a larger security deposit).
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 10:33 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
I have a 75g in a 3rd story apartment right now. Not a problem. The only thing I would be concerned about is the age and construction of the apartments. These apartments are just a couple of years old with concrete floors (even the upper floors) so nothing's going to punch through.

I was required to get approval from the manager's office. They simply checked to be sure I had insurance to cover any damages it could cause. Then I got a paper in writing saying it was fine.

Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g -
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' —— • 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

• 29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' —-- • 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
• 5g - RCS colony —————————————————— • 2.5g -
Retired
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 01:52 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
it depends how old your apartment is really. if its a new one your probably safe if its old i think 75 is probably the limit i would go to.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode