Faux Wood And Rocks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Faux Wood And Rocks

hey gang ...
i wanted to hear your point of view on faux wood, rocks and decorations.
it seems that i never had a problem with them until i started getting into the planted aquaria side of fish keeping. i find myself unsure about weather to keep or put something in a tank if its fake, regardless of weather or not its a good imitation piece. am i just being silly? i almost want to say that it seems like a lot of you might be on the same boat as me because as i browse the site and admire all the different scapes and tanks, im not 100% sure, but it seems that a lot of what i see is definitely genuine pieces of rocks and wood. i dont see many (or any) of the sunken ships or treasure chests.
im not sure where it originates from but i think it has to do with the plants being REAL and ALIVE and the substrate being one chosen specifically with hopes that it sustain LIFE.
i feel like everything in there should be serving a purpose and working towards the same thing. (trying as much as possible to create or re-create a natural looking and feeling habitat)
am i taking some silly snobbish stance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 09:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
A lot of people on this forum will not use fake decorations, but you have some that do. Usually I get one or two decorations as gifts yearly and I usually stick them in my tank for a while because they were gifts. But normally I wouldn't use any of them.

The aquarium hobby is all about what you personally like. If you fine some good rocks and driftwood that are made out of resin and you like them by all means use them.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 09:47 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
I have used fake decorations where needed to provide shelter, hiding places, or spawning areas. I only used items that were made to look natural, and I put them in the back where they would not invite scrutiny. I recognize that such areas can be created with natural elements, but things like cichlid stones are convenient and safe, and can be easily removed if no longer needed. I also confess to having a tiny skull once in the corner of my 55g for awhile. I liked the effect of the natural tank with the tiny surprising element. I don't mind seeing little whimsical elements in a tank if they sort of blend, but I'm not a fan of gaudy ornaments or a tank of only faux things.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 09:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

Certainly it's possible to be snobbish about it, but--for the most part--having unnatural materials in a natural planted tank tends to be jarring, especially when they're mass produced items that lack the level of detail of the actual living elements in the tank.

That said, it's possible to structure your tank such that a high quality non-natural item can be appropriate. One of my favorites is a very atmospheric tank that presents as a path thru a dark, spooky forest to a huge, resin "haunted house" style mansion. The level of artistry needed to blend the elements, though, takes a very good eye for design and detail.

And, yes, natural materials can offer benefits to the tank, especially when it comes to introducing natural wood pieces.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 12:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I see no reason to object to the ones you mention. We need to keep an open mind on what others may feel right in their tank. I do admit to having a bit of doubt about some things and I know they would not suit me. Things like a cow's skull or a surfboard come to mind. But then the folks who had them did not really ask me what I wanted. Go for it if is feels right!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

i see what you guys mean. theres no right or wrong or its not written anywahere that these things dont belong..
just enjoy it and done. i guess i just needed to hear it is all. asi i mentioned originally i thought it was pretty silly of me to think so.
thanks guys for all the feedback.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 01:20 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Like most things, do what makes you smile. I've seen people proud of gaudy things. I never understood it, but they didn't understand my choice either.

Smile
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 02:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
When I am given things like this I often make them a decoration outside the tank. For example, I have a row of plastic plants stuck in a notch in the wall, and an Easter Island skull/monument in between a couple of tanks.

I avoid things like ceramic merpeople, or Sponge Bob, but will admit to a plastic alligator on a rock next to the pond.

Mostly my decor, both in the tanks and out are natural rocks and wood, often collected myself.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 02:31 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Totally up to you.

Personally I'm far from a "purist." Someone here has a Tardis in their tank. *Want*

The hardscape in this 'scape I did are resin hollow logs from Petsmart

And before I swapped out for the hollow logs (I wanted caves for the loaches I was adding to the tank), I was using some landscape bricks (excuse the crummy pics lol)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2014, 03:03 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
I like those bricks. It looks like a slightly overgrown garden. Very peaceful. I think it works because it looks like an intentional structure, which is a natural arrangement for bricks. I don't have any now, but I think broken pottery could look really nice in a tank. I have an Asian themed tank that I plan to redo pretty soon. I'm thinking of a nice broken vase piece to add some height to it.

My daughter has a pink dragon and a castle in her guppy tank. I don't judge.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 03:22 AM
Algae Grower

My kids have the sponge bob Easter island head thing in their guppy tank. Whatever makes them happy. Considering that they are six and two years old, that's the least gaudy thing in their room.Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410751218.973976.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  114.6 KB
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

@Quifish ...
ill be honest - i dont think thats gaudy at all...
i actually kinda like that!!
i mean i guess it can be gaudy but ive never watched spongebob so it looks kinda nice to me!
ha!, the more i look at it - the more i like it! LOL!!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 12:18 PM
Algae Grower

That's so close to nature...your kids have a tilt towards nature. and it looks good as well.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode