Mendel's chart - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Mendel's chart

Does anybody know where online to find a Gregor Mendel chart where you input the info?
My cacatuoides started breeding again and I was trying to find out what I was gonna end up with.

The original parents were-
Albino Orange Flash (Male) x Regular Coloration (Female)= All Regular Coloration offspring

From them
l
l
l
V
Breeding Pair-
Regular Coloration (Male) x Regular Coloration (Female) = ?

Am I gonna get some Regular Albinos? Orange Flash Non-Albinos? Orange Flash Albinos?

Any help would be great!

Thanks

Loren

Eheim Pimp #315 (2213)
My Tank Photos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 03:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
You can't really tell unless you know if the coloration genes are dominant or recessive. You can figure that out after the babies are born by placing the offspring in the chart but for now it's just a guessing game.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 03:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)
I think the chart you are talking about in called a "Punnet Square"

From my own calculations,

Assuming that the Orange Flash Albino allele is the recessive trait (r) and the Regular coloration is the dominant trait (R). The Original father would be "rr" and the female would either be "Rr" or "RR". Assuming that if the female was "RR", the cross between the "rr" father and the "RR" mother would give you 100% "Rr" which would all show the dominant trait (regular coloration). I think this might be what the original parents might be since the offspring both displayed the dominant trait.

As for your question :
Quote:
Am I gonna get some Regular Albinos? Orange Flash Non-Albinos? Orange Flash Albinos?
If both the offspring are "Rr", if they do breed, their offspring should be 25% RR, 50% Rr, and 25% rr. If my calculations are right, then you should have 75% Regular colored offspring and 25% of the offspring should be Orange Flash Albino.

I might be wrong though.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the input

Quote:
OhNo123I think the chart you are talking about in called a "Punnet Square"

From my own calculations,

Assuming that the Orange Flash Albino allele is the recessive trait (r) and the Regular coloration is the dominant trait (R). The Original father would be "rr" and the female would either be "Rr" or "RR". Assuming that if the female was "RR", the cross between the "rr" father and the "RR" mother would give you 100% "Rr" which would all show the dominant trait (regular coloration). I think this might be what the original parents might be since the offspring both displayed the dominant trait.

As for your question : Quote:
If both the offspring are "Rr", if they do breed, their offspring should be 25% RR, 50% Rr, and 25% rr. If my calculations are right, then you should have 75% Regular colored offspring and 25% of the offspring should be Orange Flash Albino.

I might be wrong though.
Thats if your figuring that the the albino and orange flash is a result of the same gene. They are seperate traits. You can have Regular orange flash, Albino Orange flash, Regular Albino, And Regular from the traits in my fish I believe. So I figure I have a couple genes at work here. I remember in highschool doing multiple gene Punnet squares. I just can't remember how to do it

Loren

Eheim Pimp #315 (2213)
My Tank Photos

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 06:37 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Though I'm not sure about shrimp in particular, when you factor in related alleles, it's very difficult to isolate and promote a single trait. Unless you can find literature regarding which traits are dominant/recessive and which characteristics are linked, you'll have to experiment for several generations worth of brood before you can gather enough information to be able to have an effective breeding program. I grew up amongst dog show folks and while the numbers were few, those who had knowledge enough to apply Mendel's principles to their breeding programs fiercely guarded their knowledge.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 08:18 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumiSumi View Post
Though I'm not sure about shrimp in particular, when you factor in related alleles, it's very difficult to isolate and promote a single trait. Unless you can find literature regarding which traits are dominant/recessive and which characteristics are linked, you'll have to experiment for several generations worth of brood before you can gather enough information to be able to have an effective breeding program. I grew up amongst dog show folks and while the numbers were few, those who had knowledge enough to apply Mendel's principles to their breeding programs fiercely guarded their knowledge.
agree. Most traits are not "mendelian." In fact ole' Greg fudged some of his numbers in pea plants, to make them look better. Only really close breeding experiments will determine the nature of the genes involved. I do lots of genetics with fruit flies, where the genome is reasonably annotated and many genetic tools available, and some traits still can't be "mapped."

Also, the fish genome is fairly complicated. The fish lineage went through two rounds of genome duplications, creating a situation where there are many redundant genes.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 08:41 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Oh for some reason I thought it was shrimp! Silly me.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 04:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
It's true that very little genetics are truly determined by mendelian genetics and punnet squares. However, I do research with zebrafish and when we have mutant or genetically altered lines that we are using, when we cross 2 heterozygous animals (Rr for example) we usually do get close to 25% RR, 50% Rr and 25% rr animals. You are looking at 2 genes though, so it certainly gets more complicated. The one good thing though, is that you can be pretty sure all of the offspring of the first generation are heterozygous for the Orange flash (Oo lets say) and the Albino trait (Aa let's say) because you didn't end up with any babies that are either albino or orange flash from the first crossing, so you can assume the female wasn't a carrier of either gene. I was doing genetics for 2 traits the other week and this wikipedia site http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punnett_square helped me! It doesn't do it for you, but it helped me remember how to do it myself. Based on that, you SHOULD be looking at approximately 1/16 (6.25%) albino orange flash fish, 18.75% just albino and 18.75% just orange flash (1/3 of each of those homozygous for the dominant trait, 2/3 heterozygous for the dominant trait)

3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Karackle Thanks your the man! (or the woman)

Eheim Pimp #315 (2213)
My Tank Photos

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode