Cheaper Carbon Alternative ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (8/100%)
Cheaper Carbon Alternative ?

Prolly gonna be a silly question but can the Cheap BBQ charcoal that doesn't have lighter fluid on it be used in place of carbon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 09:21 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I would not use it, but there may be other options.

Why do you think you need carbon?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 11:10 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
i would not use it if you read the label carefully you will see it not just regular charcoal its Activated charcoal. my advice is if you want it cheap find a online vendor. http://www.tbaquatics.com/shop/index...e06cb654844b07 these guys are pretty cheap. i like the carbon i get from them its easy to clean and a nice size

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedEuphoria View Post
I would not use it, but there may be other options.

Why do you think you need carbon?

I think all tanks benefit from carbon, it drastically improves water quality.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sostoudt View Post
i would not use it if you read the label carefully you will see it not just regular charcoal its Activated charcoal. my advice is if you want it cheap find a online vendor. http://www.tbaquatics.com/shop/index...e06cb654844b07 these guys are pretty cheap. i like the carbon i get from them its easy to clean and a nice size
NICE site find really cheap thanks man!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 02:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
I haven't used it in years.
My local buddies don't use it either (planted or not).
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vance71975 View Post
Prolly gonna be a silly question but can the Cheap BBQ charcoal that doesn't have lighter fluid on it be used in place of carbon?
I was told that you can reuse charcoal just bake in the oven at about 400 degrees when it is all dry its ready to refill.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 03:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (42/100%)
I don't use any activated carbon in my tank unless it's a newly setup tank or I'm worried about water quality or something "bad" in there. For example, if I get a used tank I'll run activated carbon for a little bit to make sure there aren't any medicines still lurking in there.

I'm no scientist here, but I'm pretty sure activated carbon removes micronutrients (including Iron!) from planted tanks and should generally be avoided unless nescessary.

As an alternative to activated carbon, you might consider Seachem's Purigen, which is a resin which removes excess organics from the water and polishes quite nicely. It doesn't have any measurable effect on dosed chemicals.

Chris
Canon Pimp #20
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 04:36 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkus View Post
I was told that you can reuse charcoal just bake in the oven at about 400 degrees when it is all dry its ready to refill.
I think that's how that works.

If you can find natural wood charcoal.. I'd think that would work ($8/bag) . No added chemicals and binders like a brisket charcoal. And wood charcoal is mighty tasty on meats.

Although aquarium charcoal is better in terms of the grain size.. If you try to smash charcoal, it'll turn to dust most likely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 04:44 PM
Planted Member

it is the same element, but not the same stuff at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activated_carbon

It can't be "reactivated" by baking it in the oven or any other method in the home...read how it is made and processed to make it "Active"

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question209.htm
http://www.howstuffworks.com/framed....ys/ae1029w.htm

46 gallon bowfront, Dalmatian Mollies, Swordtails, Otos
75 gallon Lake Malawi African Cichlids
3 gallon nano desktop with Betta at the office
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 04:54 PM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Seachem has a product that is less aggressive than activated carbon or Purigen called Renew™. I don't know if you would like to try it though. It removes some of the compounds that we use for EI dosing.

It is recommended for use planted aquariums although it might be an "old technology" product. http://www.seachem.com/products/prod...ges/Renew.html

Renew™ is ideal for use in systems where phosphate released from all activated carbons poses a problem. Renew™ is also less aggressive than carbon, making it well suited for reefs and planted aquaria. It is also beneficial for use in soft water aquaria where the pH-raising property of many carbons is not an asset. Renew™ will remove organics and particulates in the sub-micron range; it will also help control ammonia, nitrates, and phosphates. This product is sold by volume. Cited weight is minimal weight.

EHEIM PIMP #164
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode