Metal Weight Plate ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Metal Weight Plate ?

Hi: Can I use a simple Golds Gym Metal Weight Plate to weigh down my drift wood? I believe it is cast iron and it says it is coated in baked enamel. 2.5 pounds. This thing you can just get for $2.17 in Walmart. (cheaper than loads of fishing weights). It kind of looks like this, except smaller of course, and no yellow paint. It is all black: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Golds-Gym-...Plate/16622350 Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 02:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I would doubt the coating would be water proof and that the weight would rust, especally cast iron.

Why not use a piece of slate and some stainless steel screws to secure the driftwood to?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherLandDescendant View Post
I would doubt the coating would be water proof and that the weight would rust, especally cast iron.

Why not use a piece of slate and some stainless steel screws to secure the driftwood to?
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh.. slate and stainless steel screws. I did not think of that. I have slate and tried to silicone glue it but it did not hold. Thanks. dbw

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 03:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbw27 View Post
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh.. slate and stainless steel screws. I did not think of that. I have slate and tried to silicone glue it but it did not hold. Thanks. dbw
You'll need a high speed bit to drill it out, and the bit should be for concrete applications. If not you'll break the slate in half at the drill point.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Okay thanks. I can ask my friend who is in painting/construction to do it. :-)

Thanks!

dbw
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 03:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
High techie name is "masonry bit". Just use lighter pressure to avoid breaking the slate.
I do not find any need of stainless screws as the small amount of rust is not a problem and my tanks never stay in one form for the years it requires for most screws to rust off totally to let go.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 11:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You can probably get a single masonry bit for not too much. Or if you have a dremel, you could try using one of the grinding or diamond bits, but that would take a lot longer. Try to keep the spot you are drilling wet, or even drill with the piece of slate submerged. It keeps the dust down, and makes it a bit easier to drill through.

I'm fairly certain I once drilled through a piece of slate with just a regular high-speed bit (granted, it pretty much ruined the bit), so if you have a regular bit you don't like...

Anyways, I really like bolting driftwood onto slate, aside from just holding the piece down, it also allows you to place it in positions that gravity alone wouldn't support. I don't think there is too much to be concerned about with the metal in the screw, but I'd at least avoid brass. I use nylon machine screws, but I happened to have a 1/4" tap lying around, so I drill and tap a hole in the driftwood, and then just screw into the wood. If it's a piece you can drill through and keep covered in substrate, you could but a nylon bolt on it as well.

Probably just easiest to use a wood screw though.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 02:52 PM
Planted Member

I have used a gym weight to hold down a huge piece of driftwood in a sand-bottomed 180 gallon tank. We had zero issues with rust.

1- The baked on enamel is probably powder-coat. If so, it ain't going anywhere. It's like epoxy almost. Maybe it is epoxy. Either way, it's strong and almost definitely waterproof.

2- Corrosion is slowed dramatically in submerged environments. That's why sunken steel ships stick around for a hundred years or so. Dunking and drying dramatically accelerates the corrosion process. That's why your shaving cream can leaves a rust ring on the sink. It got wet, then it dried a little, then it got wet again, then dried a little, etc.

3- I used those weights to hold down strings of duck decoys in saltwater. They were exposed to the wet-dry-wet-dry process that I talked about earlier. Even then, there wasn't massive corrosion. There was definitely some, but not a lot.

Point is- slate is a great option. Slate and stainless is even better. However, if you can't find either or if you already have the parts laying around, a gym weight isn't going to ruin your tank.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 04:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Slate floor tile is available almost everywhere. Part of the reason I use it is that it is real easy to find as well as cheap and easy to work.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 04:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Slate floor tile is available almost everywhere. Part of the reason I use it is that it is real easy to find as well as cheap and easy to work.
Yep, just picked up a box from Home Depot for this. 5 square foot tiles for $7 and change.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 10:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Also, if you want smaller pieces, you can sometimes find small tiles for doing walls/counters/etc. at the big box stores. I think you have to buy an entire pack of like, 4 or 5 at once, but it's an option if you don't want to break/cut (hacksaws work) the bigger tiles.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode