People that ship plants often or via envelopes, Questions for you! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (31/97%)
Question People that ship plants often or via envelopes, Questions for you!

I'm wondering if you can ship more plants in the bubble envelopes than in small flat rate box?
Do regular cardboard envelops work just as well or is padded/bubble necicarry?
I'm trying to find a way to ship for less money. I have no idea how the Regional Rate boxes work, I also can't find a chart for them for easy look-up.

I normally just use the standard flat rate boxes, but wondering if similar or more plants could fit in other boxes and end up costing less to the buyers.

So, what size and style boxes/envelopes does everyone use? How many of what kinds of plants can fit into each size you've used?

hoping to find a different shipping solution. Maybe a regular box will end up cheaper if I do the 'wet paper' method instead of bagged with water?

Thanks!!

♡ Forever Farms Babydoll Southdown Sheep ♡

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 09-12-2014 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Keep sales to the For Sale section
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 01:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (66/100%)
Hi secuono,

Just a quick FYI; Myriophyllum aquaticum aka parrot feather / watermilfoil is considered an noxious week in half a dozen states and cannot be shipped to them.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 02:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
You shouldn't use envelopes to ship plants. The equipment used by the post office to sort mail will turn the plants to pulp.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 03:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Speaking as a customer I won't order if I know they won't be boxed. I'm personally willing to pay extra if need be for proper shipping. I've recieved plants in envelopes with and without bubble wrap. It's not pretty. Usually a total waste of time.

Edit: I meant to add. I complain about shipping costs as much as the next guy. However, if you stop and think that it only costs a few bucks to send a package cross country from door to door in a few days, it's not that bad. Think about what's involved in doing that. It's not as simple and cheap as we all might think. In fact, it's quite surprising it's so inexpensive IMO.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

That's why I ask.
I see tons shipping in envelopes and never tried it before.

Then what about regular brown cardboard boxes not from the post office, how do you limit water to get the best price?
I usually flood the bag with water, since most plants do far better like that. It buffers temp changes, maybe helps with being bounced/tossed around as well.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 04:44 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi secuono,

Just a quick FYI; Myriophyllum aquaticum aka parrot feather / watermilfoil is considered an noxious week in half a dozen states and cannot be shipped to them.
Have a link to a list of states not allowed to ship them to??
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 04:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by secuono View Post
That's why I ask.
I see tons shipping in envelopes and never tried it before.

Then what about regular brown cardboard boxes not from the post office, how do you limit water to get the best price?
I usually flood the bag with water, since most plants do far better like that. It buffers temp changes, maybe helps with being bounced/tossed around as well.
I've never recieced plants in water, just paper towels or news paper dampened.

Flat rate boxes are going to be the cheap route IMO, non-flat rate boxes are weighed and charged according there too. You could find the weight charge shipping rates, weigh the packages yourself and if cheaper than a flat rate box go with that option instead, seems like a lot of extra work on your part though. Keep in mind though to do that you'll need a postal quality scale to determine your shipping weight, I myself wouldn't trust a scale that wasn't labeled as such.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I hate receiving plants in a wet paper towel. They are always banged up, hot and take extra to get going.
I don't want to do a ton of work just to save the buyer a penny or two. =/

Guess I'll stick with regular flat rate boxes....but the large box and $16 really puts some people off...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 05:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by secuono View Post
I hate receiving plants in a wet paper towel. They are always banged up, hot and take extra to get going.
I don't want to do a ton of work just to save the buyer a penny or two. =/

Guess I'll stick with regular flat rate boxes....but the large box and $16 really puts some people off...
Still cheaper than most online retailers
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherLandDescendant View Post
Still cheaper than most online retailers
Hah! With how things sell on here these days, my plants are even more cheap!

Stink bugs have been swarming since last week, last month, leaves have been dropping!!
My bog looks awesome right now, cannot believe fall is coming already!

I've been ripping out of the bog and tossing into the pond all the Parrot feather for a bit now, so much of everything! =D Koi were eating it, but now can't keep up.

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 09-12-2014 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Keep your sales activity to the For Sale section
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 02:44 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
When I was shipping it was always wrapped in wet newspaper or paper towel or both. Have mostly received that way as well. Always with good results so never thought about changing. Have received in padded and unpadded envelopes too and plants looked fine, but that was ups 2nd day.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode