co2 question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 08:00 PM
rick4him

co2 question

I know this sounds weird but can to much co2 cause bba? I know a low amount can, but I have mine turned up rather high, and I am getting bba. Could it be because the co2 level has changed and that is causing the BBA?

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 08:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)
BBA is always caused from insufficient Co2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Junkie
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 09:10 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I am also interested in other peoples answer to this question. Like you, I read that low CO2 causes BBA so I continually turned it up. BBA eventually covered most plants in my tank and started growing on the glass surface. The battle against BBA almost led me to give up on planted tanks in May.

This summer because of work and other commitments I was unable to fill my CO2 tank for over two months. I also cut my fertilizer dosing back to almost nothing. Last week I realized that most of the BBA was gone. I now have the same question as you, was it the CO2 or my dosing?

I think my plan will be to add the CO2 and ferts back at low levels to see what happens.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 09:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
Insufficient flow or diffusion can be the culprit, if CO2 levels are indeed "high enough." You can have "good" levels in certain areas of the tank, but if there isn't proper flow to mix and distribute the co2, BBA can still thrive. Tom Barr has been doing some interesting stuff with measuring co2 levels, and it seems to show how much co2 can be reduced by plant beds and other obstacles that reduce flow

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 09:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)
BBA is not caused by high Co2. Too much light for you Co2 level is the only reason BBA comes about.

Turning up your bps doesn't necessarily make your Co2 levels higher if your diffusion method is not effectively dissolving or dispersing Co2.

Here are some things that will affect levels:

Lack of movement within the tank.
Diffusion/dissolving method inefficient.
Too much plant mass.
Low injection rate (bps)

The Junkie
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 09:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkookm View Post

Turning up your bps doesn't necessarily make you Co2 levels higher if your diffusion method is not effectively dissolving or dispersing Co2.

Here are some things that will affect levels:

Lack of movement within the tank.
Diffusion/dissolving method inefficient.
Too much plant mass.
Low injection rate (bps)
Bingo

Mike

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 12:06 AM
rick4him

I also seem to have gotten some GSA while I was on vacation. I had someone giving ferts, but I didn't feed. Could that have dropped the nitrites and thus causes a very small gsa outbreak? (along some sides of the tank?)

Also I am using a reactor so I would think my co2 is being broken up nicely. Do the lilly pipes do a good job at moving the water around? I really don't want to add a power head as it would REALLY mess up the look of my tank.

thoughts.?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 12:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

GSA tends to be related to low phosphates and high light.

The BBA IS caused by poor co2. So you need to figure out what's wrong there. mrkookm has given you good examples of what could cause this problem.

Mike

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 05:20 PM
The Circumloctioner

PTrader: (37/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick4him View Post
I also seem to have gotten some GSA while I was on vacation. I had someone giving ferts, but I didn't feed. Could that have dropped the nitrites and thus causes a very small gsa outbreak? (along some sides of the tank?)

Also I am using a reactor so I would think my co2 is being broken up nicely. Do the lilly pipes do a good job at moving the water around? I really don't want to add a power head as it would REALLY mess up the look of my tank.

thoughts.?
Lily pies do a great job of moving water around.
A drop checker would come in handy to see if you do in fact have enough CO2... Do you have one, or just remove it for photos?

No Pimp Club.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 05:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick4him View Post
I really don't want to add a power head as it would REALLY mess up the look of my tank.

thoughts.?
You want an inline reactor and a drop checker, a good alternative to teh reactor is to diffuse micro-bubbles (from a limewood or glass diffuser) into the filter outflow so the bubbles are pushed throughout the tank. The drop checker will tell you when you've achieved proper diffusion. In the meantime, shoot the BBA point blank with a med syringe full of flourish Excel to kill it (do it while the filter is off for five minutes or so), note that it'll come back until you improve diffusion or lower your lighting.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 10:39 PM
rick4him

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaidexl View Post
You want an inline reactor and a drop checker, a good alternative to teh reactor is to diffuse micro-bubbles (from a limewood or glass diffuser) into the filter outflow so the bubbles are pushed throughout the tank. The drop checker will tell you when you've achieved proper diffusion. In the meantime, shoot the BBA point blank with a med syringe full of flourish Excel to kill it (do it while the filter is off for five minutes or so), note that it'll come back until you improve diffusion or lower your lighting.
Thanks I do use an inline reactor, and I do indeed use a drop checker. My drop checker is almost a clear yellow. I was told I could crank it up as much as I wanted as long as the fish seem to be doing ok. So I know I have a good deal of co2 in the tank. So I'm not sure where my issue is.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 01:03 AM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
One of my aquariums had BBA for a while and I couldn't get rid of it. Excel, H2O2, spot treating, etc didn't work.

I swapped out the 65w 6700K bulb for a 55w GE 9325K bulb and the BBA went away.

This aquarium has EC, pressurized CO2 with a pH controller, EI dosing and 50%+ weekly water changes.

Even if I get a little slack about dosing or water changes, the BBA doesn't come back.

I don't know how it keeps BBA away, but it does in this aquarium.

EHEIM PIMP #164
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 02:01 AM
rick4him

Hmm. that is strange. I am using the Grand Solar one light and the bulbs that came with it so I doubt the lights or any issue for me....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode