Do I need more filtration? (and bioload question) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Do I need more filtration? (and bioload question)

So I'm wondering if I need more filtration on my 30g tank or if what I have is good for my bio-load?

Currently it has an Aquaclear 50 HOB which is rated for tanks 20-50gallons. I currently have 6 pygmy cories, 1 sparkling Gourami and 1 bamboo shrimp. I have 15 Ember Tetras and 15 Boraras brigittae (microrasboras) on the way. I want to add 1-2 more Sparkling gourami's, and possibly round out the pygmy cories to an even school of 10. I know it's a lot of fish, but they're all tiny...is this too much bioload for the one filter or should I be ok? Am i still under my bioload given the absolutely tiny size of the my fish choices? I'm not new to keeping fish, but I am new to keeping itty bitty nano-fish so I'm not sure how to factor them in filtration / "inch per gallon" wise.

Thanks in advance!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 05:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Well tiny fish put out less of a bioload, and the inch/gallon rule is more like a guide line, Personally if I were you I'f wait for your microrasbora to arrive and watch your tank for a few weeks and see how it balances out, if everything is fine and dandy and your paramaters are healthy, and your tank has plenty of swimming room for everyone, you could try to round out your cories then.

Just add your fish slowly and keep an eye on everything, your tank will tell you if you've overloaded it :].
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the input!

That's sort of what I was thinking too, I'll definitely wait to add more Cories / gouramies until the new guys have acclimated and any mini-cycle to compensate the larger bioload i see is finished. That's a good point too, I'm sure my tank will let me know if i've overloaded it!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 06:10 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I used to have that filter on my 29G and it wasn't enough filtration. I had about 15 fish while I used, neons, glass cats, and some rainbows. The filter would get dirty enough that I was cleaning it once a week. If anything I would add a powerhead just to keep everything circulating in the tank.

33G: Eheim 2224, Finally have pressurized Co2 and Reactor
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Actually that's interesting to hear because I've been surprised how little cleaning it seem to need. I've had to clean off the intake a few times because of dead plant leaves sticking to it, but that's about it. I also had to turn it down to the lowest outflow because it was blowing everything around the tank, so i'm surprised to hear you say it wasn't enough...strange...I don't have a power head but I do have a bubble curtain along the back wall, there's definitely plenty of water circulation in the tank between the two things....I'll definitely keep a close eye on the filter and it's cleaning needs as the bioload increases though, thanks!

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 09:23 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I don't see anything wrong with your current filter as long as you keep it clean. Sure, you may have to clean it more often, but it should still be able to handle your tank. And if you run a chemical filtration agent, such as purigen, that would do even better as it'll suck organic wastes out of your system.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

thanks for the input! I think it's sounding like I should be able to just see how this one works for the moment, I'll hold off on adding a second filter then!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode