Can anyone identify these snails? They behave very strangely. *PICS* - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
Can anyone identify these snails? They behave very strangely. *PICS*

I received these snails by mistake. I've been told they are FW Nerite snails, but I have no clue. I'm not even sure if these snails belong in water. Their behavior is really strange. They do not seem to want to be in the water at all.

When they first arrived, I put these unidentified snails in a bucket with my zebra nerite snails. Instantly, these unidentified snails raced to the top of the bucket. All the zebra nerites stayed at the bottom.

Knowing that nerites are known to escape tanks, I didn't think much of it. But then I also noticed that these snails had a very strong suction on the bucket unlike the zebra nerites. The zebras had a suction, of course, but they were easily encouraged to let go so I could move them. But not these other snails. I would do just about everything to try to get them to let go, but it wasn't easy. They would eventually let go, but when they did, there was an actual sound of air when I moved them.

Okay, so then I put them in two different tanks. In both tanks, these snails made a bee-line for the top. I put the zebra nerites in one of the same two tanks, and they started munching on algae.

Only once did I ever see one of these other snails munching on algae. It ate for about 1.5" and then stopped. I swear it seemed to have gone to sleep or something!

I've lost one snail (need to check under the couch!), but I still have 5 of these. They are now in a tank with a lid which prevents the from escaping. These snails continue to go to the top and attach themselves to the lid (and out of the water). They barely move.

I found one snail hiding underneath a clay pot. I picked it up, moved it around, took pictures of it, then put it in another tank, and 24 hours later it was still in the exact same spot. It finally moved, only to go to the tank lid and stay there.

The whole thing is very odd behavior and makes me wonder if these are even snails that belong in the water?

Does anyone have any idea what kind of snails they are?

Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' —— • 75g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

• 29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' —-- • 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
• 5g - RCS colony —————————————————— • 2.5g -
Retired
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 02:17 AM

PTrader: (8/100%)
look like Neirites to me, but also color wise like golden mystery snails, but the black line is off hmmmmm
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Pelvicachromis Lover!

I'm expecting that they're nerites, but then why won't they eat algae? And why won't they stay in the water?

How do mystery snails behave?

I'm almost hoping they'll lay eggs so I can at least get a better ID on them based on their eggs.

Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g -

• 29g -
Retired

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 03:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
Look like nerites to me. Could it be your water conditions? Too soft? Too acidic? CO2 concentration too high?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Pelvicachromis Lover!

I don't think it's the water. The zebra nerites are in the same tank these were in, and the zebras are doing great. Even with the lid left open for almost a week, not one left the tank. I see them all over, and they are definitely cleaning the algae.

That's why I'm so puzzled about these. I've never heard of snails (intended to be under water) behave this way. It's really bizarre.

I'd like to give then away in the SNS for anyone who will pay shipping, but I wouldn't want to misrepresent the snails. Something's just off with them, but I can't figure out what. I'm hoping if they can be identified, then they can be sent to a home where they can be loved and enjoyed. I'd rather not euthanize them, but I certainly don't want them.

• 90g -

• 29g -
Retired
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyNYC View Post
Look like nerites to me. Could it be your water conditions? Too soft? Too acidic? CO2 concentration too high?
I didn't answer your questions directly so let me do that.

KH is 10 (I think it's KH, but you know what I mean).

pH is 8.0

The tank they're in now has no CO2 or ferts, very low light. Of the two tanks I originally put them in, one is low tech with no CO2/no ferts/med light while the other is high tech with CO2/ferts/med high light.

Same reaction in ALL 3 tanks I've put them in.

Heck, same reaction immediately when I put them in the bucket when I first got them.

• 90g -

• 29g -
Retired
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 03:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can't help with identity, but my Mystery snails are always coming out of the water in my breeder tank. I had 2 on the lid this evening.

210 g - Empty right now
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Pelvicachromis Lover!

How can you tell what snail is a nerite and what snail is a mystery snail? I'm pretty sure that these are nerites, but I'd like to know what to look for. The person from whom I received them couldn't ID them other than to say they were FW nerites.

I know nerites are usually brackish or saltwater snails that can live in FW. Is there another similar snail that is FW only?

I really don't know anything about snails, especially these larger kinds.

• 90g -

• 29g -
Retired
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 04:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
http://www.petfish.net/articles/Inve...bra_Nerite.php

"The only bad habit they have is that they tend to crawl out of the water from time to time so a secure cover over your tank is a good idea, unless you want snails exploring your home"

210 g - Empty right now
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Mike, I know. That's why I didn't think anything of it when I first saw them climbing out of the bucket.

But I've had them for almost a week, and I have never seen them eat! They barely ever move (other than to race to the top to get out of the water)! They are NEVER in the water! This is very different from my zebra nerites.

These snails don't just occasionally go to the top. They race to the top! As soon as they start moving, it's up they go. FAST (for snails). And that's where they stay.

Alternatively, they have found caves to hide in, such as the clay pot. One crawled under some driftwood and partially buried himself into the substrate (the one in the 3rd picture I posted). But they only did that when they were first put in the tank. Once they found a way to go up, they went to the top and never came back down.

It's like there's something wrong with either them or there's a reason they're don't want to be in the water or they need to hide? I don't know.

Aren't nerites acclimated to FW? What if these were never acclimated? Would that explain their behavior?

• 90g -

• 29g -
Retired
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 04:58 AM

Nerites are Inter tidal. IE they like to leave the water every now and then, they tend to hang out just above the water line.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 04:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (117/100%)
Acclimation will not explain their behavior. If they are not acclimate to FW, they would have died. The snails you have are from a Lake from Sulawesi which has no near access to the ocean. They are full FW nerites. They have been in FW for more than a month.

I am not sure what type of nerite they are as I only had the 6 sent to you and 1 more left. I had not noticed it before.

Nerites will stay above the water line for some time. Not sure how you call this.

Regards,
Pedro
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 05:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (117/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vance71975 View Post
Nerites are Inter tidal. IE they like to leave the water every now and then, they tend to hang out just above the water line.
gotta agree

Regards,
Pedro
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Will these snails ever behave like my zebras? It's not as if they are leaving the water every now and then, but more like they have left the water and never returned! I don't think they're eating anything either.

Is that how the one snail you still have is acting?

I'd like to find a good home for them, but I didn't want to give them to anyone if all they'd do is climb up, attach themselves to the lid, and just die.

What if I put an algae tablet in their tank? Any chance that would lure them to eating? Anything else I can do? They're in my 5g plant holding tank with no other animals so I can do whatever they need to at least ensure they are eating.

• 90g -

• 29g -
Retired
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
Will these snails ever behave like my zebras? It's not as if they are leaving the water every now and then, but more like they have left the water and never returned! I don't think they're eating anything either.

Is that how the one snail you still have is acting?

I'd like to find a good home for them, but I didn't want to give them to anyone if all they'd do is climb up, attach themselves to the lid, and just die.

What if I put an algae tablet in their tank? Any chance that would lure them to eating? Anything else I can do? They're in my 5g plant holding tank with no other animals so I can do whatever they need to at least ensure they are eating.
Unless your using time lapse camera or setting in front of your tank 24/7 your prolly just missing them eating and going back into the water, much like MTS that hide during the day maybe these are active at night? As long as they crawl back up when you knock them into the water i wouldn't worry too much about it.Its when you knock them in and they just lay on the bottom you gotta worry.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode