Comments invited on potential tank set up - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Comments invited on potential tank set up

Hi there

New to this forum, although I've been reading it for a long long time!

I'm potentially going to be setting up a really big tank (probably 10 ft, around 2500L), which will be built in to my house. It's all still a 'maybe', but I'm getting excited and making ridiculously detailed plans! I'll have a custom aquarium company do all the plumbing, etc. but I'll be designing and planting. I've had tanks before, including planted tanks, but nothing of this size...so I'm looking for some feedback from people more knowledgeable than me on my ideas.

I'm planning on shamelessly plagiarising from a tank that I've seen on the net - if you search 'Amano discus' it's the second picture - a carpet with driftwood, blue discus and rummy nose tetras, which I'm sure everyone has seen at some point. My tank will be longer, so I may have another two pieces of driftwood (one smaller with plants grafted, one minor without).

OK, so these are the details...

Equipment (still a work in progress and not well researched):
- Wet/dry filter under tank
- CO2 delivered in-line to return pipe
- In-line heater to avoid equipment in tank
- Lighting - metal halide

Plants:
- Microsorum pteropus ''Philippine’' (Philippine Java Fern) grafted to driftwood
- Glossostigma elatinoides carpet
- Eleocharis acicularis (Dwarf hair grass) around driftwood
- Eleocharis vivipara against back wall

I also noted in the picture that there are some reed-like plants in the back corner - I'm thinking thin val or or Echinodorus angustifolia...I was thinking either of those or Echinodorus vesuvius...or maybe should I just stick to hairgrass?

Livestock:
- Dark Green Shrimp or Emerald Green Shrimp (add once cycled) so that they can clean up but blend in to the carpet and not be obvious
- Cochu’s Blue Tetra (x50 - add once carpet complete so shrimp have places to hide) instead of the rummy noses
- Cobalt Blue Discus (x10 - add once tetras settled)

Substrate:
- ADA Tourmaline BC
- ADA Powersand
- ADA Amazonia AquaSoil Powder

I've read that the Tourmaline is good for glosso but I don't really know what substrate additives I should use. I've never used any before and done ok, but would love advice.
Any views on Powersand vs. Powersand Special?

Regular products for dosing:
- Seachem Cycle (start only)
- Seachem Prime
- Seachem Discus Trace
- Seachem Equilibrium (hardener, if required)
- Seachem Flourish N, P & K
- Seachem Flourish Trace
- Seachem Flourish Iron
- Bicarb for KH

I've used all these before (except the Discus Trace...is it worth it?) and, while I know they're probably overly expensive, I find them easy enough.

Parameters I'd aim for:
- pH 6
- Temp 27
- GH 5 degrees
- KH 3 degrees
- N 20ppm
- P 2ppm
- K 20ppm
- Fe 0.5ppm

How do these look? It's just the K I can't test for...unless anyone has found a decent kit?

I suspect that the temp is probably a bit high for shrimp and a bit low for discus. I'm wondering if I very gradually increase the temp for the shrimp (as they're going in first) whether they could cope ok. Have kept red cherries before and they seemed super hardy, but I don't know about other types.

Alright - I realise I've written an essay now, but I'm super nervous about making a mess of it.

Would appreciate any advice at all. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 04:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hello. You have very big plans and by the sounds of it money is not much of a problem. Do you mind me asking how much aquarium keeping experience you have and how much of it has been devoted to planted tanks?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 07:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

If your tank is deep and large, with a huge carpet, spare some thought on how maintenance is going to be done.

DHG - will take a long time to carpet a 10ft tank unless you buy a good amount of pots, on the other hand, once its done maintenance is easy as you can just mow the lawn so to speak.

Glosso - carpets much faster than DHG, which also means very frequent pruning if your light/CO2 is strong, its like 2X - 3X the growth speed of HC. Also network of runners can remain if you just prune off the leaves, so sometimes deeper pruning is required, which is troublesome for a very large tank.

Lastly dosing with liquid ferts in a large tank is very costly in the long run. Might as well spend 10 minutes learning about dosing dry fertilizers KNO3, K2HPo4 etc , which are 10-50 times cheaper. Also, the plants that you've listed are generally quite easy to grow. They'd grow in low tech setups, (though DHG will take very long to carpet) so you don't have to worry overly much about your substrate.

Regards, Dennis
47g Journal of sorts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve002 View Post
Hello. You have very big plans and by the sounds of it money is not much of a problem. Do you mind me asking how much aquarium keeping experience you have and how much of it has been devoted to planted tanks?
No probs. Have been keeping fish for over 10 years. Started with the usual freshwater community tank and moved into bigger freshwater tanks. Also got into a couple of different African cichlid biotopes. Also done shrimp in nanos. In terms of planted, I've kept a 6ft planted tank before with a couple of different scapes - but they weren't in the kind of minimalist style I'm looking at now. I had the foreground covered in a E. belem carpet. I've also had a couple of nano planted tanks, where I had HC carpet. So not massively experienced, but I'm hoping I can pull it off...

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaozhuang View Post
If your tank is deep and large, with a huge carpet, spare some thought on how maintenance is going to be done.

DHG - will take a long time to carpet a 10ft tank unless you buy a good amount of pots, on the other hand, once its done maintenance is easy as you can just mow the lawn so to speak.

Glosso - carpets much faster than DHG, which also means very frequent pruning if your light/CO2 is strong, its like 2X - 3X the growth speed of HC. Also network of runners can remain if you just prune off the leaves, so sometimes deeper pruning is required, which is troublesome for a very large tank.

Lastly dosing with liquid ferts in a large tank is very costly in the long run. Might as well spend 10 minutes learning about dosing dry fertilizers KNO3, K2HPo4 etc , which are 10-50 times cheaper. Also, the plants that you've listed are generally quite easy to grow. They'd grow in low tech setups, (though DHG will take very long to carpet) so you don't have to worry overly much about your substrate.
Thanks for the advice - I might try and get a longer, shallower tank to aid in maintenance. And I'll look into dry ferts - in my smaller tanks it was more affordable but, yep, see your point

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode