55g+ tank owners, how do you do your water changes? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Question 55g+ tank owners, how do you do your water changes?

Soooooo.... we recently acquired a 55 gallon tank and I've already decided that doing water changes manually with 5 gallon buckets is a pain in the behind when you're trying not to disturb the substrate or shock the fish to death.

Until about a month or two ago, the only experience I've had with owning fish has been on the nano-scale. That being said, we've owned a 30g and a 10g QT tank for about a month or two now with great success.

I was thinking that maybe I should dechlorinate, aerate and age water in a large plastic tub and pump it into the fish tank with a submersible water pump. The advantage being that I will be able to aerate, and dechlorinate the water in the plastic tub and introduce it into the tank gradually (relative to pouring a bucketful of water in) thereby reducing stress on the fish and avoiding the disturbance of substrate. Am I making it more complicated than it needs to be? What do you guys think & do? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 11:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (45/98%)
probably the most easiest way of filling the tank, using a python. I say just filling because emptying at times is a pain.
Another way is a powerhead, some clear hose from homedepot and an adapter for your faucet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 11:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Get a python, you won't be sorry. Just put your Prime or whatever you use in the tank as you fill. I do both my 55's in about an hour this way. I do a 50% change weekly since I am using the EI dosing method. I drain the tank using the python, do whatever pruning or maintenance is needed. Put a frisby in the tank (upside down), put the prime in the frisby. Turn on the water with the python empting into the frisby so it deflects the water from disturbing the bottom of the tank.

Larry Bugg
Atlanta Area Aquarium Association
North American Discus Association - Vice President

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 11:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
pyhton all the way! i use the python on my 210g, couldnt imagine any other way!!!!!

~ Jose

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 11:52 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have tried every thing I guess over the years. buckets or a pain, python works good but I fine bringing in a hose to drain out side and filling up easy. But if you live in a apartment thats out. The best thing I found is having a drain and water supply right next to the tank. In my house I now have a washer/dryer hookup next to the tank. I use a power head to drain and a short hose to fill. Its the easiest way I have ever tried.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 12:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I use Kitty Litter jugs. The 21LB jug holds about 3gals these I use for removing water. I can then water plants and trees all around my property. Then I use the 14LB jugs to put new water into the tank. I have 5 of the large jugs = approx 15Gals - 3 cycles gives me a bit more than 50% water change in my 90. I have 7 of the smaller ones to replenish the water.

The reason I use two different sizes is that it is easier to handle the smaller jugs when pouring water into my tanks. I pour it through a worm feeder to diffuse the flow thereby preventing the disruption of plants and substrate.

I've debated getting a Python. But that would make it harder watering all of my plants outside. By using the kitty litter jugs I waste ZERO water. I likes that!

A long explaination but you asked
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 12:43 AM
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (66/100%)
Python...pretty darn easy, I just wish the sink attactment piece wasn't so cheap and crappy

Oh and I only use the faucet to get the syphon going then I turn it off and it flows on its own...and I don't waste water

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 01:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Python here, right into the tank with prime, 50% weekly WC, EI dosing.

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 01:20 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
In high school I worked at a pet shop and we changed thousands of gallons a week via a python. I've owned one ever since. There's nothing easier, as was mentioned earlier. Your entire water change should be under 10 minutes without so much as a single drop of water hitting your floor.

Fluval Pimp #3
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 01:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
actually, I like the python, but for better quality get the one made my aqueon sold at petsmart(or online many places). The "pump" is much, much better than the python. NExt, if you can, get a brass threaded/nickle plated threaded faucet adapter. I actually got one with an aerator in it and I don't ahve to take it off. Lowes and home depot sell these. If you have a sink that isn't in plain view it makes it easier. i use it in the kitchen, and it doesn't look "perfect" but doesn't stick out.

The aqueon pump has replaced 3 broke pyton pumps. I'd just go with the aqueon setup from the start. You'll thank yourself!
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Are you sure you guys aren't all workin' for Python Products? =P
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by over_stocked View Post
actually, I like the python, but for better quality get the one made my aqueon sold at petsmart(or online many places). The "pump" is much, much better than the python. NExt, if you can, get a brass threaded/nickle plated threaded faucet adapter. I actually got one with an aerator in it and I don't ahve to take it off. Lowes and home depot sell these. If you have a sink that isn't in plain view it makes it easier. i use it in the kitchen, and it doesn't look "perfect" but doesn't stick out.

The aqueon pump has replaced 3 broke pyton pumps. I'd just go with the aqueon setup from the start. You'll thank yourself!
Hmmmm could you help me with the part # for the said faucet adapter? I've never actually seen one of these guys in action so I'm don't even know what the faucet compatibility is like.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 01:51 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
Python here, too. But as far as what brand, I also prefer the Aqueon for the same reasons over_stocked mentioned. The Python brand flow control at the sink is a piece of junk (IMHO).

Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g -
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' —— • 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

• 29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' —-- • 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
• 5g - RCS colony —————————————————— • 2.5g -
Retired
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 01:52 AM
Algae Grower

The python connectors were crap and a pain to deal with so I just went to lowes and got similar adapters of better quality that work much better with less waste and less money.

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 02:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

All the Python users know of course that if you change 30gallons in a hundred gallon tank, you have to dose de-chlorinater for the whole 100gallons, right? Really, that's the only downside to filling with the Python.

4/26/2012, lost the finest man. Rest easy Pops...
<--Great Danes are people too!
180g, Fluval FX5, 404, 128watts t-8, low tech, heavily planted, with Albino and reg bristlenose plecs, Congo tetras, Amanos, a herd of Corydoras Sterbai, Boesmanis, a big old common plec, & Otos.
32g tall eclipse3, fluval403, with a handful of bristlenose plecs.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode