What do you suggest? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
What do you suggest?

Well I really don't like the tank (45 gallon) in my living room sitting empty, which it has been for the past 8 months. We were planning on doing a saltwater tank, complete with getting it drilled and installing a sump/fuge. But with a baby on the way, I'm not sure that I want to do a saltwater tank anymore just because the maintenance would be more difficult. I'm kind of leaning towards going back to my low-light planted tank, which was super low maintenance. I already have most of the stuff for the saltwater tank, including a nice 165 watt Nova Extreme light fixture.

So should I continue on with the Saltwater tank, since I already have most of the materials? I would still have to get the tank drilled and construct the sump, but everything else is ready to go. I love the thought of getting a pair of clownfish and a goby, along with some colorful corals, but I'm not sure I want to risk losing everything if I don't have time to maintain the tank. Or should I just make it a low-light freshwater tank, and sell all of my saltwater stuff? Hubby wants to sell everything, but I don't like that idea.

If I do decide to go freshwater, what should I put in it? I would like to get a nice pair of cons, because I've never kept them before and I think they are beautiful fish. But with all of my inverts, I would like to be able to throw some in this tank if the others get too crowded, and the cons would surely snack on shrimp & crays.

Morgan
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7 gallon in the works ~ planted ~ CPO's & Gardneri Killifish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 01:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
If your questioning the time it takes to maintain a salty tank, you may be best off with something low tech as you mentioned.
Corals and the like require almost as much attention as a new child.

Cheers, Orlando
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

That is exactly my concern. And saltwater is so much more expensive that I would hate to lose everything if I don't have the time to do a water change. There is much more room for error with freshwater than there is with saltwater.

Morgan
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 03:57 AM
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (66/100%)
Go Planted!!!

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltonorr View Post
Go Planted!!!
I figured that is what most people on here would say! But I don't want anything high tech. What would be a good wpg for the light? I was thinking between 2-3. I like the Coralife 96w or the Nova Extreme 78 watt ones.

Morgan

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 01:39 PM

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOsborne05 View Post
I figured that is what most people on here would say! But I don't want anything high tech. What would be a good wpg for the light? I was thinking between 2-3. I like the Coralife 96w or the Nova Extreme 78 watt ones.
Here is an idea, A Moss Heavy Invert tank, Say nothing but a Huge Colony of Shrimp! Much lower Maintenance that SW but still has that "SW" Look and feel Kinda, Especially if you get Subwassertang, it looks like Macro Algae.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 01:49 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
If I do decide to go freshwater, what should I put in it? I would like to get a nice pair of cons, because I've never kept them before and I think they are beautiful fish.
I like smaller fish that move around a lot. I recently bought 6 diamond tetras for my planted tank and they are really great aquarium fish because they are fast swimmers and are all over the tank. Plus they sparkle. I also have a school of cardinals that sort of hang around sedately in the middle of the tank. It would be a boring tank with just the cardinals but the movement of the diamond tetras make it interesting to look at.

Personally, I'm sold on active swimmers.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by vance71975 View Post
Here is an idea, A Moss Heavy Invert tank, Say nothing but a Huge Colony of Shrimp! Much lower Maintenance that SW but still has that "SW" Look and feel Kinda, Especially if you get Subwassertang, it looks like Macro Algae.
I'm tempted by that actually, because I already have yellows, cherries and dwarf orange crays, with some tigers on the way. I thought about just filling the tank with mosses & guppy grass, and let the inverts breed away! I'm just afraid that the inverts would look lost in a tank that size because they are so tiny!

I'm not a big fan of active swimmers actually. I've had so many tanks over the years, and I've always gotten bored with them rather quickly because I can't find any fish that are that interesting. The shrimp & crays, I could watch for hours!

Morgan

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
The shrimp & crays, I could watch for hours!
Same here. Shrimp are such bizarre little creatures. I have a few as well.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 04:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Planted low light and fill it with like 50 scarlet badis.

If you get a pair of cons they will breed and you will have hundreds of fry. Its just what they do.

SW with corals is quite a bit of work.

I would do a nice low light set up maybe a pair of apistos or GBRs with a small school of tetras or rasboras. That way if something pops up or you have to forget about it for a bit you don't have to worry.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 04:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
Send a message via MSN to fishbguy1
I would go with a low light asian bio-tope.

Gouramis, rasboras, loaches. Lots of low-light plants. Vals, crypts, java ferns and various mosses.

Sweetness!

65 gallon low tech planted
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks, those are both good ideas. I used to have one angel, a pair of apistos, some harlequin rasboras & some zebra loaches in this tank and it was nice.

Also, it is not the best footprint for saltwater (36x12x23) but it is the biggest tank that I can fit in the space right now. We are planning on moving in a year or so, so maybe I will buy a deeper tank to do saltwater, that way I can have more depth with my rockwork.

Morgan

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 07:12 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)
My vote for a giant invert/shrimp tank. Please post photos!!!

50 gal Planted (Always under construction).......
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 08:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRB77 View Post
My vote for a giant invert/shrimp tank. Please post photos!!!

Plus, add a couple snails and maybe a school of small tetras. Gouramis, Angels, and some loaches will eat shrimp, along with a many FW fish. I would think a ember tetras would look awesome. Great color, too small to cause any harm.

210 g - Empty right now
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I had embers in my 7 gallon tank and they didn't eat the adults, but I never saw any babies in the tank. That might be an idea.

I have decided that I am going to mod my 7 gallon for saltwater. I found a 32w retrofit kit that fits in the hood, and that would allow me to keep a nice variety of corals.

Morgan

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode