Temperature ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Temperature ?

what is the ideal temp for a planted tank?? for some reason my heater even set to 70 degrees heats my tank to 86. My heater sux. it heats when told not to. lol. its aliiveee.

Destinee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 10:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Most folks dont use heaters in the summer. I would just remove it till you really need it..
Whats the ambient room temp?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

it gets REALLY cold in my room at night cuz of my window ac unit, but during the day, it can hit the 80"s

Destinee

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 11:46 PM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
i took the heater off my tank cause it was a piece of crap. my room temp is 75 at night and 76-77 in the day. my tank stays at about 77 - 78 cause of the lights.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 12:36 AM

The type of plants you grow will dictate water temp. Most South American plants will tolerate higher temps then some mosses. North American plant like cooler temps. But in general I would say 72f to low 80s would be ok. I like a cooler tank but I use alot of mosses.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have
wisteria
moneywort
cobamba
creeping jenny
java fern
lutea
cryp balanase
jungle val
moss
anubias nana
anacharais

Destinee
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 12:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
If your heater is warming the water to 86 even though you have it set to 70, the switch is stuck. Unplug, give it time to cool, get rid of it, and then get a new one.

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 03:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazcrash69 View Post
If your heater is warming the water to 86 even though you have it set to 70, the switch is stuck. Unplug, give it time to cool, get rid of it, and then get a new one.

+++times two!!!!

If you have just purchased this heater I would immediately return it to the place of purchase. (Most retailers can easily charge back defective product to the manufacturer.)

Really, if your heater is "on the fritz", you may end up with a tank of death. Bad heaters are nothing to laugh or joke about, they may lead to a devastating event.

I personally swear by the Marineland Stealth Heaters. Love them! I've got over a dozen in breeding tanks; never any problems. (Be sure to size a heater correctly to the tank size.)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 05:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazcrash69 View Post
times 3!!!!

1 faulty heater + 1 fish tank = disaster

And i definitely agree, if you just got it you should be able to bring it back for a replacement, if not, then i guess it's just time for a new one, it's worth the cost of the new heater not to lose the rest of your investment in the tank for sure!

3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 06:28 PM

What does everyone have to read the temps of the tank? I have a stick on the glass temp reader around the bottom to the middle. It usually reads about 78 to 80, but sometimes the water feels colder than that. Are these not accurate?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 06:35 PM
Planted Member

Digital thermometer for $7 from dr foster & smith... spiffy and accurate...

Backup of stick on the outside temp strip near the top, since it is just reading the glass temp it doesn't matter where it is.

I got a 250watt stealth heater from there for $17.95, it actually adjusts the temp to what the temp on the knob says.

I had a faulty heater once, had just setup the tank and was stabilizing things before adding fish. BUT, had a large pleco in a 1 gallon jar because his previous tank cracked and I felt bad so I put him in once the temp was ok... went to work... came home to floating and boiled pleco... heater set to 75, water temp 95... I could see water inside the heater... so I returned it... poor pleco paid for my mistake.

46 gallon bowfront, Dalmatian Mollies, Swordtails, Otos
75 gallon Lake Malawi African Cichlids
3 gallon nano desktop with Betta at the office
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 11:44 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinee View Post
what is the ideal temp for a planted tank?? for some reason my heater even set to 70 degrees heats my tank to 86. My heater sux. it heats when told not to. lol. its aliiveee.
Are you sure that it's not your ambient air that causes the high temperature in your tank? My heater is not plugged in, but the water temp hovers around 78 degrees with my home A/C set to 76. Try unplugging your heater for a day and see what temp reading you get.

And if your room gets really cold at night, it means that your water temp is swinging from high to low everyday, which is not healthy for the tank's inhabitants.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 12:07 AM

Yes do make sure your heater is work properly. Heat from lights can also cause heat build up too.

I check temp with a digital thermometer as well as the sick ons.

I had a heater stick on one night and lost allot of fish in a 55gal. so do make sure its not going bad.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 12:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I agree, unplugging the heater and seeing if the tank temp is still really high is a better place to start instead of just ditching it, unless of course you said "it heats when told not to" because you've seen the little red light on that means the heater is on when the tank was well above 70 degrees.

3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode