Additional filtration for 125g? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Additional filtration for 125g?

I've got a 125 gallon aquarium that has one 2028 eheim filter that I've had for around 4 years and been very happy with.

I've noticed since I moved out to san diego that the tank seems to have more crude floating in the water. So I've stepped up cleaning the filter to every other month and added more filter floss. I also changed the filter media to 2 baskets of the mechanical filtration and 1 of the biological stuff. I also tried adding a power head to increase flow. (I change 30-40% of the water once a week)

None of this has really helped as much as I'd like. So I'm wondering if I should be looking into another filter. Possibly the 2128 eheim???

Thanks
Heather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 08:57 PM
Planted Member

The 2028 is rated at 198 GPH... Everyone seems to be in agreement that the mfgs are very optomistic when they rate their filters and the actual output is considerably less.

Opinions vary, but you should shoot for 3~5 times an hour turn over. So, 375gph to 625gph actual flow.

So bigger filter, or more likely add a second filter the same size or larger.

46 gallon bowfront, Dalmatian Mollies, Swordtails, Otos
75 gallon Lake Malawi African Cichlids
3 gallon nano desktop with Betta at the office
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 10:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I was never impressed with San Diego water when I lived there, aside from the strong chlorine taste (I think it's so people don't have to chlorinate their pools) and multiple E.Coli warnings it always seemed clear though. I'd guess the issue has less to do with the water itself and more to do with something else that changed when you moved. Did you add more fish, less fish, different fish, more plants, less plants, different plants, different substrate, etc.

I'd try replacing some of the bio media in your filter with sponges or filter floss, or add a sponge prefilter to the intake. It sounds like the problem you have is insufficient mechanical filtering, which is easy and cheap to improve using the filter you already have. People like to tell you that you need another expensive filter but I'm not completely convinced that it is always the best option.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 11:40 PM
Planted Member

I rinse the floss in my filter weekly, it gets dirty quick and reduces flow.

You could add a filter to the intake of your power head with felt cloth on it, filters down to about 50 microns, but also reduces flow. Something like this might work for you depending on your power head.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=4638
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=5382

Pretty much anything mechanical you add to the intake of the filter will reduce flow and then you have to bag it inside the aquarium to pull it out without making a mess of things.

Can't hurt to try it. I have a fluval 405 on my 75 gallon cichlid tank, rated at 225 GPH and it isn't quit doing the job. I added a powerhead and quick filter with the 50 micron cloth and it does ok, but I am on the verge of adding a second canister for more flow/filtration.

Robert

46 gallon bowfront, Dalmatian Mollies, Swordtails, Otos
75 gallon Lake Malawi African Cichlids
3 gallon nano desktop with Betta at the office
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 02:34 AM
Algae is over rated

PTrader: (11/100%)
That 125 is way under filtered.
I would opt for a 2250,or 2260 Eheim to help out your 2028.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'Classic' EHFIPIMP #275
V/P # 5
VTS253A-1993
The first effect of a disaster is to spread a deeper gloom than is due the occasion.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

That filter that will work with a powerhead looks promising. I'll definately try one of those.

I don't want to put anymore floss in canister filter b/c too much can slow that flow. I've also tried other mechanical media but it's still not where I want it.

My setup is the same but I do have a slightly larger bioload than I had before. (Regardless its still way understocked so I don't usually worry about biological filtration.) I'm wondering the difference is that I have 3 bushynose catfish (instead of one) chewing on the wood.

(I also have 3 pearl gouramis, 5 SAE's, 5 rosy barbs, 6 cherry barbs, 5 khuli loachs, 1 molly)

The plants are essentially the same in that they are all the same genus crypts, anubias and most types of ferns, but the crypts are all different species (crypt lucens, beckmoni, balencae, ciliata) and I've added to the number of species of anubias (I added 5 new varieties)

Les, I noticed that ehiem has come out with some new filters since I looked last time. Why do you recommend the 2250 or 2260 over the Pro series 2128. I liked the idea of getting an internal heater on the new canister and I didn't see that option for the series of filters that you recommended. I also looked at the Pro III and the 3E but to be honest there were too many buttons on these filters.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 07:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

I have a 125 with SA/CA cichlids and I am running a 2028 and an FX5. The current might be a bit strong for your fishload though. Ever since I added the FX5 with a bag of Purigen, the water quality has really improved. It's quite a bit noiser than Eheims though, so if that's a problem (like you don't have a enclosed stand) then you may want to go the Eheim route.

Filstar pimp #59 (shhhh on the Eheim)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

So here is an update:
As luck would have it, a friend had tons of those filters that fit with a powerhead so I borrowed one of hers. It worked like a charm! I'm still looking into filters but for now the fish are fine until I figure out what I want.

Also the main reason I've only looked at the Eheims is because of the noise. It drives me literally nuts; silence is priceless.

H
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 05:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

I agree. If my 125 was in my living, I wouldn't run an FX5.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 06:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelsx2 View Post
I agree. If my 125 was in my living, I wouldn't run an FX5.
the FX5 is that loud eh?

90 gal.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 08:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sNApple View Post
the FX5 is that loud eh?
Compared to an Eheim 2028, yes. Even compared to the XP3 that I had before. When I do maintenance on the 2028, the humming is NOT noticeable, but when I do maintenance on the FX5, the silence is deafening.

Since the 125 is in my office/kid's playroom, I don't notice it as much, but it would be very noticeable in my living room.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 03:51 AM Thread Starter

This tank started out as a saltwater reef tank. Picture the noise of overflows, wet-dry filter and protein skimmer in a living room with wood floors and 25 ft vaulted ceilings.

When I decided to change it to a planted tank I thought I'd died and reached heaven.

For the eheim I have to check that water is coming out of it to even know that it is on.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 03:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by greerh View Post
Picture the noise of overflows, wet-dry filter and protein skimmer in a living room with wood floors and 25 ft vaulted ceilings.
Wow! That is quite the change in noise level. I bet your family really appreciates it.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 06:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (67/100%)
I cant hear my fx5 running, and its definitely quieter than my XP3.

I just have an FX5 on my 125 and it does well. I thought about adding another FX5 or maybe eheim to it just to make sure I am over the edge.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2008, 06:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
I have a 125 and run two XP3's on it. I just hooked up a mag drive 9.5, which says it pulls 950gph, on a UV and CO2 circuit. Have a nice gently flow in the tank. Stays clean and clear. Each month I clean one filter. Works great. Before I got the mag drive I had a korolai #3 in there. It was much less gentle. The difference is that with the mag drive I have the flow spread out through a 6' spray bar across the back of the tank.

Just keeping on keeping on....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode