Do I need to fertilize if I have fluorite? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Do I need to fertilize if I have fluorite?

I have black fluorite (great stuff, not dusty) and I was wondering if i still need to add fertilizer to the water for the plants I added. The anubias shouldn't be planted, or so I have read, which means they won't be able to draw nutrients from the fluorite. What can I do for them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 03:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
i think the fluorite only provides iron so you still have to add the other neuts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 04:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
IT all depends on the environment. You could get by without ferts if you have lower light levels.

And anubias CAN be planted in the substrate. I have some planted that way and it does fine. Most people will attach it to driftwood or rocks but it does grow just as well when planted in substrate. It will take some practice and patience to get going that way but it will work......

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your responses guys, but I'm confused. You're saying if i have lower light I won't need to fertilize? You'd think it would be just the opposite? I do have low light though. About 1.5 watts per gallon. Plants seem to be thriving so far but i just bought the anubia yesterday and wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing.

And thanks for the tip about how anubias can actually be planted in the fluorite. In that case I would *think I don't need to add any liquid fertilizer at all?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 05:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
Send a message via AIM to resowner92
just dont bury the rhizome

Neil

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 05:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brette View Post
Thanks for your responses guys, but I'm confused. You're saying if i have lower light I won't need to fertilize?
Possibly. With low light the plants will grow slower, and as a result need less nutrients. In that case, fish food & waste might be enough.

and as resowner92 said, the rhizome needs to be above the substrate.

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 05:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just pick up some Flourish if you would like to dose something but not get too envolved.

Bury the roots and leave the rhizome above the substrate.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 05:26 PM
Planted Member

I grow lots of java fern, hygro, baby tear, certain blyxa, anubias, variety of floating plants, and certain mosses with about 1.5 watts per gallon. Growth is slower, but hey, I don't want to have my hands in the tank all the time!

I do use pressurized CO2, gasp!, which seems to help even in low light tanks. The only liquid fertilizer that I use is K. I don't have tons of experience with plants, but my limited knowledge has led me to believe that low light tanks need extra K. Someone please tell me if I'm off my rocker. I also dose (sparingly) Flourish-micros.

This set up grows a fair amount of GSA, but only GSA, which I'm happy with. I'm convinced the GSA has provided food for my dwarf cichlid fry, and keeps my SAE and otos happy.

One good gage for good plant growth, and algae, despite your other factors is measuring the Nitrate/Phosphate ratio (http://www.xs4all.nl/~buddendo/aquar...field_eng.htm).
I might be talkin' out my bum here, but I've noticed when I use higher light this ratio is much harder to keep in balance, and is when you need to start adding different nutrients, and more of them.

OK I will continue with my day .
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 08:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

please repost the above link as i cannot get to it.
thanks
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 08:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
Send a message via AIM to resowner92
im guessing this is it http://www.xs4all.nl/~buddendo/aquarium/redfield_eng.htm it had this ) on the end of it

Neil

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 08:51 PM
Planted Member

Sorry, somehow I added an extra ) at the end. Fixed.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~buddendo/aquar...dfield_eng.htm
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 04:39 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I never fertilized this tank, 1.8 wpg with Flourite as substrate.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode