Anyone in the Houston, TX area that can help move aquariums? I'll pay! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
Anyone in the Houston, TX area that can help move aquariums? I'll pay!

In a month or two, I will be moving from my apartment to my house and that means moving my aquariums.

The main tank I'll need help with is my 75g high tech tank. It's too heavy for my husband and I to move it. Plus, I want it properly leveled when its moved.

The pros:
  • I have plenty of extra tanks to hold the fish while the tank is being moved.
  • I can move the fish myself.
  • I can disconnect and reconnect the filters and all.
  • Just need the stand, tank and canopy moved and leveled. That's it.

The cons:
  • The tank is currently in a 3rd story apartment. Two flights of stairs. Ouch. Not hard for two strong men, but no way I can do it. It will be going into a single story house.
  • The stand and canopy is solid oak = heavy.
  • I'd like to paint the back of the tank with black paint which means waiting for paint to dry. It's okay if the move is done in two steps so the paint can dry in between.

My apartment contract is up on Nov 1 so I'd like to move the tank in Oct sometime. I'm willing to pay for the work done. I just want people to help me that truly care about aquariums and not just slap it up like the store from which I bought it did.

Also, if anyone knows of a service in my area that moves tanks, please let me know.

MODS: I didn't know where to post this since it's not really a club or local event type of thing so please move it if it's in the wrong forum. Thanks!

VickiStill running most of my tanks.

90g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
                     75g -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

29g -
                    8g - Plants only
5g - Plants only                 2.5g -
Retired
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 02:55 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
you can try posting here too
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/texas/
and check craigslist. You might just need a couple of movers... They'll have a truck to move all the tanks and stands

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Pelvicachromis Lover!

I thought about putting it in the Texas forum, but the description from that forum is "Discuss local pet stores, clubs, and conventions or any event happening in your local area" which does not fit what I'm posting.

I also thought about the SNS forum, but I'm not trading or selling anything. Maybe trying to buy a service? But that isn't exactly it either.

I'm hoping to avoid something like Craigslist if I can. I'd rather find true hobbyists and not just movers. I can hire movers any day. I'd like people who care about my tank as much as I do to move it, if at all possible.

90g -
                     75g -

29g -
                    8g - Plants only
Retired

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 04:13 PM
Children Boogie

don't rule out movers... Some are really good at what they do. Just ask around your area.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Pelvicachromis Lover!

How well will movers level the stand? Plus, wouldn't I have to hire them more than once since I want to paint the background?

I may use movers. I just wanted to see if there was anyone around here that would be willing to help with the specifics of a tank, such as properly leveling. If not, then I'll have to hire movers. They just better not knock it around.

90g -
                     75g -

29g -
                    8g - Plants only
Retired
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 04:45 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
i have a truck which would be useful but i doubt ill be able to help i got school and i work some weekends. sry

20g
16g>
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Thanks, Jack. We have a Suburban so we can haul it.

What I may do is have it moved and then hire someone from Fish Ranch or someplace to level it if it's not level. The leveling is what spooks me the most since I've had a tank crack on me, and the 75g isn't level even now (although I paid to have it leveled!).

I don't want a wham-bam-thank you, kind of thing. I want someone who cares about it being leveled and who knows how to properly level it.

Maybe I'm dreaming. It took forever just to buy the setup. If no one cared to sell one, then maybe I should just look for movers and hope the floor is level where I'm going to put it.

Oh, well. I doesn't hurt to ask.

At least I can handle the fish and equipment myself so it's not as if I'm completely at a loss of how to move it. I had first envisioned myself holding bags of fish while rushing to get the tank set up. But with so many extra tanks, that's not a problem. The fish might not like it, but it's better than having them bagged for a long time.

90g -
                     75g -

29g -
                    8g - Plants only
Retired
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 04:59 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
well idk anything about leveling tanks anyways haha sry

20g
16g>
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 05:32 PM
Children Boogie

ask the moving co if they've moved aquariums before. I'm sure you're not the only one with aquariums in Sugar Land. And don't they offer insurance for damages?

and find a level floor in the new house. That's your best bet. Buy a little level and check the floors.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Pelvicachromis Lover!

That's fine. I wasn't hinting at you or anyone else. I'm just trying to figure out how to move this tank. I don't want to be sitting here not knowing how to get it moved when my lease is up!

90g -
                     75g -

29g -
                    8g - Plants only
Retired
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Pelvicachromis Lover!

We bought the house when it was new (before even a slab was poured), but it's about 15 years old now. I have two choices of where to put the tank, and I'm still debating which place it'll go.

I first wanted it in my bedroom right across from where I sleep, but then I don't spend much time there during the day so that might not be a good idea. I could put the 20L (will be 29 when I move) at that place.

The other location is in my family room next to the TV which is directly across from the couch and all. My concern there is that my family room is pretty large and I like being able to see the fish closer than I would with it there.

I think I will check both locations with a level on top of furniture that's already in those locations. We have carpeting so trying to determine if the floor is level is very difficult, but if the furniture that's in those locations are level, then the floor is probably level, as well.

Maybe I'll just get lucky! Wouldn't that be nice!

90g -
                     75g -

29g -
                    8g - Plants only
Retired

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode