Panted 110G CO2 Issues - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Panted 110G CO2 Issues

I have a 110G tank setup since 7/22/14, I seeded from my old 16G. Tank is cycled but I have been having some algae and CO2 pressure issues lately.

Tank started (7/22/14)
CO2 Started (8/1/14)

Before I started the CO2 Water test were as follows
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 30
Nitrite: 0
Phosphates: .03
PH: 7.6
GH: 107.4
KH:53.7

CO2 Issues:
1. I have a green leaf GLA PRO PH controlled system. Tank ran out of CO2 after 3 weeks(I believe i found the main connector was loose and dumped the tank). I was running the PH controller @ 7.1. The CO2 leaked and I was out of town, my wife told me a few days later and when i returned the tank was starting an algae bloom and the PH was 6.5 mid day! I have 4 large pieces of driftwood that i assume the month i have been running the tank, lowered the PH. did a 30% water change and kept the lights off for 3 days. cleared up pretty good but the PH will not go higher then 6.7 so I am now running at 6.6 on the PH Controller.

is this PH change 7.6 to 6.6 caused from the driftwood normal?
I soaked them in a wheelbarrow for a few days refreshing the water often

algae issues:

now I seem to keep getting green water and algae destroying all my plants. I believe I have low lighting, I have 2 Ecoxotic E-Series Full Spectrum LED Light Fixtures running 9am-8pm

try to dose excel nutrients 1 time a week but have been very inconsistent as i have been in and out of town.

last question I have is about filtration. I have a Filstar XP-L running and it says it can handle up to 175gallon tanks but I have alot of particles floating in the tank and water is not very clear. is this filter enough for a 110Gallon tank?

latest tests are:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 5
Nitrite: 0
Phosphates: 0
PH: 6.7
GH: 89.5
KH: 35.8

Any advice you have is greatly appreciated. looking how to clear up the algae, CO2, PH issues.

Thank you!

I have 10 fish, neons, white skirts, small pleco, cory cat, gourami all very active and healthy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 10:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
It sounds to me like your biggest problem is consistency.

In a planet aquarium you need to be more consistent with everything.

I would reduce your light duration and reduce the light intensity just a little bit.

Next I would consider adding a powerhead for water circulation and if you do that your filtration should be fine.

But you've got to keep your CO2 and ferts very consistent. If you don't, you're going to run into more issues.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the advice, I agree i need a power head.

my idea was to dose the ferts once in a week, is that enough for a planted CO2 dosed tank?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 02:03 AM
Planted Member

I think you'll have better results spreading your ferts across the week, rather than all at once. Circulation is very important with big tanks - I like the Koralia pumps for moving water. I've had dead spots before and got hit with cyanobacteria (BGA). I have the same filter, and I put a fine floss pad in it to get rid of small particles. I can't remember if it comes with one, but you can get the two-sided blue-white floss material at chain stores.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 03:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
On all my low techs, I dose 2 times a week.

Macros on water change day

Micro 3 days later

Metricide daily

That's it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

bought a power head today. first I bought a Oceanic BioCube Circulation Aquarium Pump 1250gph recommended for my size tank but it was wayyy to strong! i had it on for a min and my sand was everywhere and plants ripped out of the ground! I also did not like the power cord coming out from the bottom and was too short

got a fluval sea circulation pump 480gph. it was much less water movement and i dont like how it is built ( you have to take it off its supports and the cage splits in half to adjust the angle but it looks better.

i was very surprised to see how well it supports the filter! there were no floating particles within half hour! awesome! thanks for the advice!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode