glass panel sticking out?! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
glass panel sticking out?!

Hello everybody.

I just came back to the aquarium hobby after a decade or so and found this forum very helpful in setting up my tank.
Normally i would like to start with an introduction and filling in my profiles and everything but i need some opinions as soon as possible.

since about a month now i have a 120l juwel tank that i got from a friend of mine after he used it a couple years.

Today when i was cleaning the tank i noticed that the side panel of the tank is sticking out a bit. it's only the front left vertical seam, all the other seams are squared. it looks like it's pushed out a bit.
i don't know if it was like this when i got it but now i've seen it, it freaks me out a bit.

Could anyone tell me if i need to be concerned or not?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-08 18.55.21.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	368009  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 07:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
OK, I'll take a shot here.

Since there's no before and after picture possible here, there's no way to tell if it was assembled in that fashion, or if in fact the inner bead is compromised and has started to shift. A side view of that seam looking through the side panel (from the right side of the top-down view) would be helpful. If it is in fact compromised and shifting it would look very different from the other four seams, and you should be worried. If that is the case, the panels are being held together by the outer silicone bead with the inner bead being totally compromised. That would not be good.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for your response.
I know it is hard to tell by sight but i thought maybe somebody had the same thing happened.

I made a couple more photo's of the seam, maybe you can see more on these.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-09-08 22.00.47.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	368161  

Name:	2014-09-08 21.59.41.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	368169  

Name:	2014-09-08 21.59.31.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	368177  

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

the other seams look the same. only difference is that the glass is square on all other seams with only a bit of silicone coming out.
Is there a possibility that the whole panel comes bursting out or something?

I don't want to risk it leaking so if there is any concern i would like to know.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 08:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The second picture is a little clearer. I personally think the panels were poorly aligned at assembly. If the inner bead had failed it would appear much lighter in color than the others. Would I worry about it? A little bit certainly. Mostly in the way the tank is handled. In moving it, I would be more concerned about that corner.

I have to say it's an odd construction even for a rimless. It seems like two totally different thicknesses in the those panels. If those dimensions were to be employed, I would've thought the thinner panel would overlap the thicker one rather than abut it. It may not be aesthetically pleasing, but the inner silicone bead would be much stronger.

Angelo

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

it is a strange construction indeed, but if there are no signs of a compromised seal then i hope i don't have to worry that much.

Because i don't know if i got it like this i have nothing to compare it with. I measured it sticks out 2mm, just less then half the side panel and if it gets any more i'll know it is moving and have the seam resealed.
I can't do any more i guess.

thank you for the advise.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 11:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I tend to agree. It seems to have been poorly aligned in assembly. Just take some extra precautions with it if you ever move around in the future. Best of luck with it.

Angelo

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 12:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah, I would be decommissioning that one...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Eheim Prof 3, 2217, 2213 (Purigen only) + 350 Skim, Reeflex UV 800 | HC300A Chiller | 3xKessil A360WE LED + Spectral Controller | Pres. CO2 + Aqua Medic Reactor1000 | DIY Fertz + 2 x Jabeo DP-4 | CAL AQUA LABSí Black Earth & GreenBase subst. + root tabs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Eheim 2217 + 2213 | Kessil A360WE LED + Spectral Controller | Pres. CO2 + atomiser | DIY Fertz | ADA Africana + root tabs.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 02:05 PM
Algae Grower

It looks a bit scary to me, if you can afford it I would get another. If not perhaps place it somewhere without carpet/rugs/hardwood floors just in case it decides to spring a leak.

55G High Tech, 3G High Tech, 3G Low Tech, 2.5G Low Tech, 5G Low Tech

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode