R/O Water reads 9.6 PH? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
R/O Water reads 9.6 PH?

I've had my R/O system hooked up for about a month now and its reading 0 Kh/GH. The water is also reading like 9.6 PH. I'm using digital pen and API test kit tube. Both read very high PH. My tap water is 7.5.

The PH lowers to about 7.5 after a day or 2 being settled in tank. I imagine its from the Co2 and the ADA soil?

I was wondering if I could use something to lower PH while setting a bucket of water aside for a day?

I don't understand why R/O water puts out that high PH...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 12:34 AM
Algae Grower

What kind of RO/DI unit are you using? My 5 stage bulk reef supply chloramine plus system consistently puts out 0 TDS water at 6.5 pH....I find myself having to buffer it to increase the pH to 6.8 which matches my aquarium water parameters. Also, are you remineralizing it with anything?
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 12:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Whats the ph on the tap water before it goes in the RO system? My tap water ph is 7.6 after it goes through my RO/DI system its below a ph of 6.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm using the Whirlpool WHER25 Reverse Osmosis Water Filtration System. I also use it for drinking. Its located under my sink. It is 3 stage filtration.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser84 View Post
Whats the ph on the tap water before it goes in the RO system? My tap water ph is 7.6 after it goes through my RO/DI system its below a ph of 6.
my tap is about 7.5 PH
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 12:49 AM
Algae Grower

What pH are you looking to achieve in the tank? I would suggest you look into some of the widely available "pH up" and "pH down" type products to buffer your RO water to the appropriate pH, and look into GH boosters to obtain favorable parameters based on you goals for the tank.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 12:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I would question the filtration system or the tap before making r/o water. R/O water should be neutral or fairly close to it. Also, I would not rule out having a bad test kit. They have been known to be faulty here and there.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yea Im not sure why my PH is so high coming out of the RO unit.

I am aiming for a ph of around 6.5.

I do use Seachem Equilibrium to boost GH.

If kits a off which I am always confident they are wouldnt they at least read lower PH than my tap?

Just not sure. Maybe I need to call Whirlpool customer service tomorrow? Is it even safe to drink water with such high PH? lol!
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 01:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
That's odd, so basically the water going in is 7.5 and the few seconds it goes through the RO system it comes out at 9.6. If that's the case then its obviously something in the RO system but what.........It could be the pen and api test kit are wrong but I doubt both are off. I'd be calling the manufacturer.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser84 View Post
That's odd, so basically the water going in is 7.5 and the few seconds it goes through the RO system it comes out at 9.6. If that's the case then its obviously something in the RO system but what.........It could be the pen and api test kit are wrong but I doubt both are off. I'd be calling the manufacturer.
Yea it really makes me scratch my head! I will be calling the manufacture tomorrow.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 01:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpsm222 View Post
What pH are you looking to achieve in the tank? I would suggest you look into some of the widely available "pH up" and "pH down" type products to buffer your RO water to the appropriate pH, and look into GH boosters to obtain favorable parameters based on you goals for the tank.
Worst thing one could do. It is well known that the PH up and PH down adjusting chemicals are unrelilable and create wild PH swings.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherLandDescendant View Post
Worst thing one could do. It is well known that the PH up and PH down adjusting chemicals are unrelilable and create wild PH swings.
Especially when you've removed all the buffering capability of the water.

The reason why your pH is high is probably dissolved gases. Let it sit for a few days...

| Eheim Prof 3, 2217, 2213 (Purigen only) + 350 Skim, Reeflex UV 800 | HC300A Chiller | 3xKessil A360WE LED + Spectral Controller | Pres. CO2 + Aqua Medic Reactor1000 | DIY Fertz + 2 x Jabeo DP-4 | CAL AQUA LABSí Black Earth & GreenBase subst. + root tabs

| Eheim 2217 + 2213 | Kessil A360WE LED + Spectral Controller | Pres. CO2 + atomiser | DIY Fertz | ADA Africana + root tabs.

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpsm222 View Post
What kind of RO/DI unit are you using? My 5 stage bulk reef supply chloramine plus system consistently puts out 0 TDS water at 6.5 pH....I find myself having to buffer it to increase the pH to 6.8 which matches my aquarium water parameters. Also, are you remineralizing it with anything?
I have the same system could you tell me please how you buffer your water ?

I buffer with seachem equilibrium fir GH then alkaline to raise KH along with Acid buffer & finally Neutral regulator to get to 7 PH it a lot to go thur.

Thanks......

125g,75g,50g,40g,27g,10g
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yea I'm not interested in messing around with the PH using chemicals.
I don't care for KH. I try and keep GH between 3-5. Seachem works wonders for that.

I wonder if I try running an air stone in a bucket of RO water it will lower PH?

I'm still going to be calling Whirlpool though.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 01:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Seachem or other GH booster for GH. Mostly these are Ca and Mg, but they also have potassium, and some have a few trace minerals. Do not use any GH booster with salt (NaCl)

Potassium bicarbonate for KH.

I am not sure why the RO water has such a high pH, but if letting it sit in a bucket overnight, perhaps with an air bubbler running will fix the problem, that is OK. Add whatever minerals you need to at the same time, and the water will be ready for the aquarium, with the minerals well dissolved.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 02:23 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherLandDescendant View Post
Thats strange, how would it be detrimental for one to adjust source water pH to match that of the tank water? I have use a wide variety of different acid/akaline chemicals to adjust source water in many different applications. What chemicals are you finding have this effect? I was not referring to any particular product, just the general increase ph/alkaline buffer and decrease pH/acidity buffer concept. Sorry for any confusion.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode