Looking for ideas. Got any? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looking for ideas. Got any?

Here is a FTS. I know I need some more background plants. Anything else? DIY large background planned for next year. Any other inhabitants? I feel like something is missing.

210 g - Empty right now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 04:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
I think background plants will make a big difference. You might also what to consider a different leaf structure. By repeating the grass look with your vals in the back it doesn't really add interest. You also don't really have much of a color variance. Of course, I know some enjoy the monotone look.

Just keeping on keeping on....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 11:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
Its very green. Perhaps some color?

I also think putting a taller plant like c. helferi in the back right corner would help to break up the driftwood in the corner look. IN the mid ground left I see you have what looks like Crypt wendtii, that will help a bit, but you may need something a bit bigger to fill that void over there.

Just some suggestions. Looks great though. Good healthy growth.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thx. Keep them coming. Also, if you have any specific plant suggestions, or colors, please let me know. It makes it easier for my to picture in my head and find if decide to go that way.

FYI - approx 2 wpg, ferts, CO2

210 g - Empty right now
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 03:11 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Red swords. Your tank is big enough and they'd look fabulous in there!

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

While I do agree with red (or other colors), and my tank is big enough, I did a sword before and it ended up too large taking room. Here is a pic of the old one. I also seem to have issues pruning (thinning out) correctly, which makes them look like crap. I did swords in my old 75 before too.

210 g - Empty right now
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 03:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

it looks like "crap" cause it is smack dab in the middle of the tank!

under stock
over filter
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 03:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
Send a message via MSN to fishbguy1
I think that some red swords would look nice. I do agree that you do need some sort of different leaf shape and some reds and pinks in it.

Some rotala indica/rotundifolia would look pretty neat in the tank somewhere, as long as you kept it trimmed and prevented bushyness from overtaking it, it would look nice, and get a real pretty pink towards the top of the tank.

Maybe some type of ludwegia? Repens would prolly be the best option until you know it will do well in your tank. I had some in my 10 gallon, but I had 30 watts of light. It also did well for me in my 29 with 2.43 wpg's...haha

Perhaps red or purple cobomba? I've never had it so I'm not sure how well it would do, but the green seems to do well enough in lower light tanks.

I would throw some C. retrospiralis in the right corner. The stuff we have for sale at the lfs I work at has some reddish color coming into it, and it would do well in your lighting. The only thing is that it has a sort of grassy look to it. But it would still look nice.

I think the best option would be some type of red sword. Just as long as you keep them trimmed, you shouldn't have too much of a problem.

65 gallon low tech planted
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
a crypt would be nice.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by newshound View Post
it looks like "crap" cause it is smack dab in the middle of the tank!

No, I believe I said

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
I also seem to have issues pruning (thinning out) correctly, which makes them look like crap.
Yes, maybe in the middle at that point was a bad choice, but wasn't what made it look like crap to me. I wish I had a pic to show it further along where it got "ugly".

Anyways, I am hopefully going to hit a couple stores tomorrow (not too local), so hopefully I will find something there. Thanks for the ideas (especially names), and keep them coming.

210 g - Empty right now

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode