Sump media suggestions? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Sump media suggestions?

What media would you use in which area?

I am unsure of the 2 areas in yellow which media I should use. I have 3 large buckets of seachem pond matrix, I was thinking of adding those to the right of the poret foam, but then I was wondering if it would be better to add the seachem pond matrix to the left section of the poret foam, the section with the probes.

I think either way I would have to order more media, maybe fill the section to the right of the poret foam with bioballs?

What do you guys think? The sump goes over about 2 more feet to the left as well as that where my pumps are and reactors.

Tanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140906_081951.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	367378  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 04:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Think about it in terms of the water flow.

1) Coming from the tank the water is the dirtiest. Might have chunks of larger debris.
The first media should be quite coarse, something that will stop leaves (or parts of leaves) from getting any farther into the sump. Often the water from the tank is spread out over this like a spray bar, too. This makes the first location a conflict:
Coarse media to screen out leaves? Or Wet/dry, and use a bacteria media like Poret?

2) Medium then finer sponge to trap finer and finer debris. This is your main mechanical media area.

3) Chemical media, if needed. Peat moss, coral sand, activated carbon, Purigen and others. These materials are after the mechanical media so they are not clogged with debris.

4) Bio. Again, after the mechanical media. I would not use the plastic bio balls designed for pond use. Way too small a surface area for bacteria. There are many other bio media options, and most have a lot more surface area. As long as the mechanical media is doing its job to keep the water clean these finer materials will not clog up.

5) Fine mechanical right before the pump, just to make sure. For example, Purigen or peat moss might escape from the chem. section, and this fine floss would keep it out of the tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode