2.5 Gallon Iwagami! CLOSE CALL! I'm Freaked out! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
2.5 Gallon Iwagami! CLOSE CALL! I'm Freaked out!

Hi guys,

well minutes ago I walked in upstairs after watching mythbusters for like 2 hours. Now I haven't been upstairs since the morning. So when I walk in the first thing that I see is a lovely carpet of HC Pearling. So I take a closer look and I see 2 dead baby shrimp. I bought 6 baby RCS about a month ago from HouseofCards. Great fellow he is! Anyways I find that they are dead. Then I look and see that 4 are huddled together in a corner along with one of my ottis. I have 2 ottis in this tank. I find one stuck in the background Hair grass and one laying on it belly barely breathing and the other one who was stuck was breathing maybe every 5 seconds. So I get the ottis unstuck and put him on his belly so he can breath better.

Next I turn my Mini Elite filter ( I highly recommend this filter) and turn it to full power so it shoot tiny bubbles like crazy into the tank. Next 2 minutes after this I am taking close observations of my tank. About 3 months ago I saw 1 lonely Hydra on a leaf of HC. No more was found since. I take Really really close observation of this tank almost everyday. So what I see hundreds and hundreds of these guys! Everywhere from substrate to the glass. I originally found these guys in my 55 gallon.

But anyways the culprit: DIY CO2. Now I have been using this for the last 4 months. It's been working out fabulous. Obviously this time it was overdose! But lately the DIY CO2 Water Bottle been slowing down. the Yeast was always stopping at about 1.5 inches of sugar. I diddn't know why so this time I thought add more. Welp I diddn't calculate it into the equation. More yeast put in more output coming out resulting in overdose of CO2.

So I guess this is my first real BAD experience in the planted tank hobby. I am glad that I went through it though. Lets me know what can happen in the future. So basically I am shaking and heart pounding as I typed this and I hope my ottis live and the shrimp.

My ottis really mean ALOT! I have spent for ever going through them and having them die and this pair has been working for a while and they ussually run around chasing eachother and pooping. lol Also I plan to set up shrimp tanks and be breeding them and selling them to the locals on this board.

I guess in this thread you can tell your Close Calls like I just have as I am sure this is a big event for everyone whos been in the hobby. I haven't had something like this since I started my first planted tank which is my 2.5 gallon here. I thought everything was going to go fine for ever and I am glad I was proven wrong.

Thanks for reading!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 05:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Hm, two thoughts...

1. I somehow doubt that your tank suffers from a CO2 OD. Why would this happen after months of use, and especially at the end of the day when the plants have been in the photoperiod for hours? I would definitely check my ammonia/nitrite etc.

2. (and this is more like a side note) If your ottos mean so much to you, don't keep two of them in such a tiny tank. Ottos are shoal fish, so five or six would be a more appropriate number; and since they are very active, put them into a larger tank. 2.5 is perfect for some small shrimp though...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pimp Club Member #313
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 01:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
Send a message via MSN to fishbguy1
I once overdosed on Co2. All my fish were gasping on the surface, not huddled at the bottom, and my shrimps were near dead, I did lose my vampire and 2 ghost shrimps however.

65 gallon low tech planted

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarist_Fist View Post
Hm, two thoughts...

1. I somehow doubt that your tank suffers from a CO2 OD. Why would this happen after months of use, and especially at the end of the day when the plants have been in the photoperiod for hours? I would definitely check my ammonia/nitrite etc.

2. (and this is more like a side note) If your ottos mean so much to you, don't keep two of them in such a tiny tank. Ottos are shoal fish, so five or six would be a more appropriate number; and since they are very active, put them into a larger tank. 2.5 is perfect for some small shrimp though...
Hey there,

Well I say overdose because first like a said up top I made a new mixture with way more yeast in it. Plus when I came up stairs the diffusor was diffusing like never before!

Also for the ottos I do not think it is necessary to put them in a new tank. I remember reading that it like for every 3-4 gallon one otto is good. And plus It has taken me so long to find a nice healthy pair of them to fit this tank and I know they are happy in there.

Update on the tank. This morning I find that they are moving around but they all are still a bit shell shocked and look tired.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode