Pearling?? How?? HUH - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 04:38 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (8/100%)
Pearling?? How?? HUH

I have a bunch of plants, that i tossed in my 5g tank that will be a holding tank for yellow shrimp, this tank has NO Co2,Ferts,or even any fish, just snails, but the plants are pearling!!! Any ideas HOW? i was under the impression that At least CO2 or Some form of CO2 like additive like excel was needed to achieve pearling?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 04:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Pearling is due to water that becomes saturated with oxygen and any more oxygen produced by the plants is given off in a gaseous form.

So, CO2 and/or Excel are not necessary for pearling.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 04:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Yep hes right often when I change the water in the tank it will pearl in about 2 hours without any CO2.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 12:59 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Also low water flow can lead to the oxygen saturation easier that high water flow(surface disruption) as it cant off gas or equalize as easy. I saw pearling on my 10G w/ low flow and a couple of spiral screw in bulbs. Now that I upgraded the filter I get bubbles trapped under leaves which is pearling but nothing compared to what others actually mean when they say pearling
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 02:11 PM
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (203/100%)
Oxygen's saturation point at the temps we keep our tanks at is only about 8 ppm or so. Once that is achieved you will start to see pearling. Often times you will see this phenomenon right after doing a large water change.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In the D.C., Maryland, or NOVA area? Come check out The Greater Washington Aquatic Plants Association!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode