Need advice how should I do a 3 day blackout to combat BGA. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need advice how should I do a 3 day blackout to combat BGA.

Hi,

This is my first time, and soon after I found some had costly experience with blackouts on how it killed their fish, and some even taking a big hit with their plants.

My blackout just started 4 hours ago - and if you've done blackouts before, please let me know. Here's what I did.

Medium-heavy planted, CO2 tank, 16 gallons with HC, mini hairgrass, java moss, some stem plants, 2 dozen shrimps, 10 tetras.

Fed the fish their normal daily feed this morning, then I did a 60% water change/cleaning and siphoned off as much BGA as possible.

Then I wrapped my tank with aluminium foil, but was careful to leave a small crack to let some indirect light in at the top. This also lets air in. Is it really necessary for pitch black? I don't think so, but is that right?

I didn't place an airstone. Is it really necessary because the pump is running causing surface water agitation. I use a Lily pipe outlet but I don't break the surface. If needed, I can adjust to break the surface. From my opinion its not needed as long as there's surface movement, but some have experienced dead fish due to oxygen deprivation. Not sure about their setup.

Will my plants take a big hit after a 72 hour blackout?

Will the fish be okay for 3 days without feeding?

Some notes:-
Switched off the CO2
Did not dose the tank after WC

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 02:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
The black out isn't what killed others fish, something else happened to cause that. An air stone is suggested because during a blackout, plants use O2 along with the fish, depending on how much surface agitation you have will determine if you need to add one.
Fish and plants should be just fine, fish will look pale and plants will lose some of their color, but should bounce back in a day or two after the blackout. Remember that you don't want to uncover the tank and blast it with bright lights right away, ease into it like a slow sunrise to let your fish adjust.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,2x75g, 55g, 40g breeder, 29g, 2x10g, 100g stock pond..........MTS ? Nahhhhhh
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Just acquired a 150g tall and a 30g long
Fraternity of dirt #135 join--->

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 06:01 PM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
What are you fertilizing with? What's your NO3 readings? How much pearling are the plants doing?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 08:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've heard the blackouts are not very effective against BGA. Try erythromycin. Just make sure that you follow through with the full dose, and don't do any water changes for awhile - pouring antibiotics down the drain is environmentally a very [censored][censored][censored][censored]ty thing to do.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode