Aquarium Structural Integrity Compromised; Logistics of Moving Aquatic Community? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Aquarium Structural Integrity Compromised; Logistics of Moving Aquatic Community?

So I did something I shouldn't have. The top rim of my aquarium was loose enough to just slip it off so I removed it. It has been fine for weeks now but this evening I heard the sound of trickling water and noticed the front glass had come free by about 1/4 of an inch. It could go at any second so I held it together and tried to get my roommates attention. He was passed out on the couch with headphones in so I had to toss the lid of the Aqua Clear at him to get his attention. Anyway, he held it together and I slipped the rim back on. We fastened a tie-down strap around it and slathered an ample amount of silicone over the seam so it has stopped leaking. For how long is anyone's guess. Anyway, I'm going to try to get another 55 long tomorrow and I need to move everything from one aquarium to the other.
The list includes:
Two Crypts, Two Java Ferns, A lot of Hornwort, Two Swords, Temple, and an Anubias
Seven Glo Tetras, One YoYo Loach, Two Rainbow Sharks, One Betta, 4 Otto Cats, and One Large Snail
The aquarium has been running for a little over a month and is 80% planted. So what I need to know is the best way to do this without killing the fish and plants. I am going to have to use the same substrate and aquarium stand which will entail completely emptying the damaged aquarium, placing the new one on the stand, transferring the substrate, then filling it with water. Do I have enough plants to avoid worrying about a major cycle? Because its only been going for a month will I have to worry about transferring the substrate kicking up a lot of ammonia and waste? What are the steps I need to take when doing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 06:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice job saving everything, must have be a scary moment.

I'm a novice but if you have a canister filter matured you should be ok, just try and have it turned off as little as possible so you don't loss the bacteria. When you fill up the new tank use extra prime. Also it might be a good idea to get a bottle of Tetra Safe Start as extra security. When I was cycling my tank it was taking long and nitrites were out of control, added a bottle of safe start and it solved the problem permanently so the stuff definitely works. Good luck!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to be recycling half of the water in the aquarium so hopefully I won't need any prime. I'll definitely get some Tetra Safe and see if that does the trick. I just don't know what this is going to do to the water parameters. Man, where's Raymond S. when you need him ;P

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 01:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Put the fish in a bucket. Put the plants in a bucket. Save as much water as you can. Transfer substrate. Plant plants. Add water. Add fish. Top off tank.

Even if you only save 50% of the water it's like a 50% water change. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode