Bowfront suggestions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Bowfront suggestions

I am in the process of setting up a new planted tank with some fish and CO2 injection in the not-so-far future. This will go in my living room which will only allow 45-46" in length.

For many reasons the wife wants a bowfront or a half circle like this oceanic: http://www.oceanicsystems.com/products/half-circle.php

I am wondering if there are other options out there without spending a fortune.
I preferable wanted to use an EHEIM external filter like the 2215 classic.
I would prefer something with at least 40-45gallons.
Something thats not deeper than 20-21". Also something that has good lighting options with at least 4wpg.

Please come forth with ur suggestions.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 04:37 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
I have a 46G bowfront and am very happy with it. They do of course cost more than flat-sided tanks but I think the aesthetic look is worth it. Mine is a standard size and is 20 inches deep.

The key to most bowfronts is that they are compatible with most accessories sold for non-bowfront tanks - for instance a 36 inch light fits perfectly on my 46 gallon tank. Going with that half-circle design idea, you likely would have a lot of compatiblity issues when it comes to lighting and accessories. Could be wrong though, but certainly something to consider.

From your post you say you're not looking to spend a fortune but that you also desire 4wpg and CO2 injection...these lines of thinking are not congruent.

As for your more specific questions, I suggest you check around this site as well as fishforums.com for answers. Of course you'll get many!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by welchrock View Post
I have a 46G bowfront and am very happy with it. They do of course cost more than flat-sided tanks but I think the aesthetic look is worth it. Mine is a standard size and is 20 inches deep.

The key to most bowfronts is that they are compatible with most accessories sold for non-bowfront tanks - for instance a 36 inch light fits perfectly on my 46 gallon tank. Going with that half-circle design idea, you likely would have a lot of compatiblity issues when it comes to lighting and accessories. Could be wrong though, but certainly something to consider.

From your post you say you're not looking to spend a fortune but that you also desire 4wpg and CO2 injection...these lines of thinking are not congruent.

As for your more specific questions, I suggest you check around this site as well as fishforums.com for answers. Of course you'll get many!
I have been worried about the lighting fixtures for the half circle too.
From an expenditure point of view - my feeling is that I would rather spend about $200 on the CO2 and another 200 on the lights rather than $600 on a specialized cabinet from oceanic that looks very cool (of course, my wife might disagree). I am all for functionality rather than aesthetics. But that has led me to huge subwoofer in my audio system that my wife detests! Just trying to keep peace in the house at this point...

I am curious about ur 46G. Do u have any pics anywhere?
Where did u get it/ what make is it? And where have u mounted it?

Thank you for ur suggestions!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 04:57 PM
Planted Member

I have it on a 46G bowfront stand, similar but not identical to this one: http://www.petco.com/Assets/product_...255000132B.jpg

Here's a shot of my tank, just upgraded to real plants and pro-substrate, so it's still a work-in-progress:

The make of it is Perfecto (glass, not acrylic).

You can get nice looking cabinets for a 46G bowfront, and it might be a good compromise for you and your wife:
http://www.briaquaticcabinets.com/ht...ow_front_.html
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 05:10 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I really like my 46 bowfront. It's not yet converted to a planted tank (been set up as fish-only for about a decade) and it's going to be a low-tech with this lighting: http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...lestriplight36

If you want to go high light, I'd encourage you to look at T5HO lighting.

BTW, if you guys will paste those picture links inside the box that opens up when you click on the yellow icon with the mountain in the edit text box, you'll post the actual pic instead of just the link.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
I have it on a 46G bowfront stand, similar but not identical to this one: http://www.petco.com/Assets/product_...255000132B.jpg

Here's a shot of my tank, just upgraded to real plants and pro-substrate, so it's still a work-in-progress:

The make of it is Perfecto (glass, not acrylic).

You can get nice looking cabinets for a 46G bowfront, and it might be a good compromise for you and your wife:
http://www.briaquaticcabinets.com/ht...ow_front_.html
Thats a neat looking setup!
Need to put some more plants in there though.
What kind of filter do u have going there?
(ANd thanks for the linky!!)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
I really like my 46 bowfront. It's not yet converted to a planted tank (been set up as fish-only for about a decade) and it's going to be a low-tech with this lighting: http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...lestriplight36

If you want to go high light, I'd encourage you to look at T5HO lighting.

BTW, if you guys will paste those picture links inside the box that opens up when you click on the yellow icon with the mountain in the edit text box, you'll post the actual pic instead of just the link.
I was thinking of a PC like this: http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...ghtwlunarlight

Does the T5HO offer any advantages over a PC?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 01:05 AM
Planted Member

My filter is a Magnum 350 Canister Filter. It works okay but I'm not the hugest fan of it.

Yes more plants are coming! Just a few weeks ago I started the transition from all-fake to all-real.

As for your question about T5HO, I'm no expert on it so the only thing I can say with some certainty is that T5HO uses electricity more efficiently than PC. T5 bulbs are also smaller.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 01:17 AM
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (66/100%)
I have a 54 corner bowfront...its nice because it fits nicely in a corner

today...

The day I planted it...

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 01:32 AM
Planted Member

Nice looking tank! How long did it take to reach that level of growth?

Any fish in there?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:

Any fish in there?
Very nice light and shaded areas...

Do you have a plain black background?
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 01:46 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:

Any fish in there?
Hasn't been long... here's his Journal thread https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lo...-bowfront.html

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Got A Tank..

So I bit the bullet and brought home a 46G AGA tank. It comes with a cheapo light and cover.
I need to add the following ASAP:

1. A background - black or blue - where/what kind and what do I use to paste it?
2. Substrate - I have used Flourite with good success previosly but I am considering Aquasoil for this - How much should I get?
3. Filter - I am considering Eheim 2215 - any other strong contenders?

Please chime in with your suggestions...
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 02:03 AM
Planted Member

Congrats on the tank!

I have 80 lbs of substrate in my tank...might someday add another 20. I had 60 in briefly and it looked pretty sparse. So long story short, get 80-100 lbs.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 01:15 PM
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (66/100%)
Thanks Laura, I never even thought to link to it...LOL
tanks is just over a week.
no livestock yet...
black spraypainted background
nocrapman...good luck with your 46 bow.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode