Backround Color? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Backround Color?

This may be a dumb question but I'm gonna ask it anyway- Why does everybody use a black backround when that color absorbs more light than any other color? Why wouldn't you use white?

I would think that would be the brightest and most beneficial. I build decks for a living and when I work on a house that has been painted white or another light color I find my self squinting all day and having a headache from the bright light.

I understand that black looks great as a backround color aesthetically.

I may just be dumb and missing something obvious but I am just to curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 03:12 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenmws View Post

I understand that black looks great as a backround color aesthetically.
That's the answer for me.

Some ppl do use white, though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
Send a message via MSN to fishbguy1
I use black and blue, depending on the tank. Black shows more color in plants and fish, but blue makes the tank look bigger. Show's more depth.

White will show ALL of the dirt in the tank, and all the algae growing on the wall. IME, back walls are hard to clean because of plants, pipes, tubes, etc. You would want something that would hide algae.

In my 40, I have a black background, mostly to show off my fish. I have black gravel, black slate, and a black background. As far as fish go, I have Psuedotropheus saulosi. Males are blue, females are golden yellow. It's my display tank in my room, so I wanted the fish to pop.

In my 29, I have a black background, because it shows all my plants really well. The fish show up well too. The gravel is a reddish color. This tank is in front of a window, so when the sun shines on it, the blue on the backside of the black background shows through a bit, so my background shows a hint of blue in it, which is pretty cool.

In my 16 bow, I have blue, because it has fake plants in it, so I wanted most of the color to come from the fish, which the blue helps with. I have glo danios, harlies, gouramis, etc. in it. I haev alot of reddish fish, and red and blue goes very well together IMO.

On my 20 long, I have a reflective silver background. It's like a mirror, so it reflects a bit of light, but it has my N. multifasctatus in it, and no plants, so it really doesn't matter much, but I would never have this color on a planted tank.

My friend has a blue background on her planted 29, and it looks really nice.

When I set up my 20 long shrimp tank, I'm prolly gonna use black, just cause it'll show the reds and blues in the shrimps I'm planning on getting really well.

65 gallon low tech planted

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 03:45 PM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Black for me too.

EHEIM PIMP #164
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 03:38 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Some people believe that a white background stresses the fish.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 01:43 PM
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (66/100%)
I think white not only would stress fish, but people too...remember Larenmws,
you get headaches from bright sunshine and light colored houses...I think black makes everything in the tank pop!! if you don't like plain colored backgrounds you could always make one or look into 3D backgrounds...

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/article...ackground2.php
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/article...ackground3.php

Good luck!

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 03:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I use black to help hide any equipment (most of which is gray) and is brings out the colors of plants and fish more.

I eventually want to make a 3D background, but breaking the tank down will be a PITA and haven't got the nerve to do that yet.

210 g - Empty right now
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 03:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
My 75 gallon has a light blue cloth on the back. I also have one of those printed ones.
But I like the blue one best. I can just threw it in the wash when I need too and it looks great.
Just go to my tank profiles and look at the tank it has pictures of both bg's.
Thinking I might get some other colors. I paid only 2 bucks for it. lol

My planted tank. 55 gallon fluorite substrate over soil, 64 watts of light, excel twice a week. Weekly water changes. Angelfish pair, guppies, BN plecos and otos. Redone 11/13/2012
One non planted tanks. 75 gallon.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 07:35 PM
Algae Grower

Black for me.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 08:22 PM
Planted Member

had black on my 20, then put white on. i dont really like the white though. imo it gives the tank a little more depth than the black but it also makes the background more noticeable in the spots where it can be seen. i think im gonna try blue on my 16g

20g
16g>
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 09:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Because white is unnatural in a sense, too. Having such bright light coming from seemingly below the surface, laterally from the fish, would probably freak the fish out. Black is perfect, in a sense, because it doesn't reflect any light, making sure that the plants and fish experience "daylight" in the natural way--from above.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 11:48 PM

Talking

Black for me too!!! It just makes every thing pop!!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I posted this out of curiousity. I have Black backrounds on all my tanks. I wasn't even thinking about the fact that any algae growth on the back would be really obvious.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 12:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
When I have a background it's black. The wall behind the tank is an adobe puke color and at times take the black plastic off for a change. Depends on how many plants are back there.

I have seen some (PJAN?) that use a muted violet and looks awesome.

Some experiments I've seen that is different is using low voltage LED to reflect colors up to splash different colors...

All depends on your taste.

Black just creates a big contrast that it usually wins in my book.

RIP - 55g - Eheim 2026 and 2217 - DIY CO2 reactor - Turbo Twist 3x - Tek Light t5 pendant w/ 2x54 6500k - ecocomplete mixed with Red Sea florabase.
"Better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed through a tube" - HST

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode