Critical tank temp for plants??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Critical tank temp for plants???

What is the critical tank water temp for plants? The temp right now in my high tech, high light tank is around 88f degree. My low tech, medium light tank is 84f degree. Obviously, the difference in the temp is caused by the amount of light I am using. So far, only some of my filler plants are experiencing some stress. My hygros are losing leaves but not a lot. My chainswords, with some of the leaves, turning transparent. My crypts are melting. However, my main plants, the big ball of blyxas and my DHG are doing great so far.

DSC_2855 by vracing, on Flickr

I can add fans to the tank but I want to conserve energy here. I did add fans to my tank last year but wasn't happy about paying another extra $15 on my electric bill. The fan was on 24/7 for a week or two. Right now, I have a big living room fan keeping the ambient room temp cooler.

Canon Pimp Club #005
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 08:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Constant 88F is really quite high. If 88f is the peak and the tank cools to 83f or below when the lights are off I think alot of species can still do okay. Some stuff like mosses really do better in cooler water below 80f. Some species can survive but have poor growth form (like rotala macrandra above 85f). [All anecdotal experience though]

Tropical species like crypts from south east asia or lotuses will do just fine at 88f. Given that for aquariums we mix plants from all over the world, it really depends on which species when its comes to max limits for temperature.

Regards, Dennis
47g Journal of sorts
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 02:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have had problems with some plants when I had the temperature up for Discus. I sure did not have a lot of different species in there, but since then I have tried to keep the tanks cooler than about 80*F, and warmer than about 70*F. This seems to be the optimum range for the biggest selection of the plants, and most fish can find their best range in there, too. I am not saying that any one tanks swings through that whole range, just that I try to keep them all somewhere in there.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Is 11:40pm in NYC right now. The room ambient temp is about 84f. Somehow, the tank water temp is 86 to 87 right now. The temp should drop cooler later in the night. Maybe 85f? Don't really know unless I wake up at 3am at night to check the temp. Looks like NYC has another hot day ahead. By Sunday and onward, it would get cooler around 80f. Whatever it is, the plants have survived this summer without adding any additional cooling.

Canon Pimp Club #005

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode