Fish load for my 75 gallon - am I at the limit? - The Planted Tank Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Question Fish load for my 75 gallon - am I at the limit?

I've got a 75 gallon well planted tank, pressurized CO2, and xp2 and an xp3 filtering it. It's been established for three and a half months, plants and fish seem to be thriving. Current bio-load:

Angels - 6
Cardinals - 13
Rummy's - 10
Oto's - 5
Amano's - 15-ish

Is that pretty much at the limit for my setup, or could I add more? I was thinking of several options:

Filling out the cardinal and rummy's to 18 each
Adding 6-8 silver hatchets
Adding a third small fish (rasbora's or small pencil fish), maybe 10-ish
Adding 2 dwarf rainbows

Any one or any combination of the above I'm considering, but don't want to overload the tank capacity. So, could I add more fish? If so, about how many of the above? Any other recommendations?

My 75 gallon 'journal':

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 01:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
Wow... quite a stock list there. Tough call IMO. I think your either just at or might be a little over... I would lost the hatchet fish or the "third small fish" and see how things are. You could always add more as you go as opposed to doing it all at once.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't suggesting adding all of the listed options, I figured that was way too much. I was wondering if my current list is at the limit. If not, how much could I add? One of the options? Two? Three? Which ones? Would a couple of dwarf rainbows get along with 6 angels? I've got a free day so I could make a trip to That Fish Place.

My 75 gallon 'journal':

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 02:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
I don't think your current list is overstocked at all. I don't even count amanos to the bioload.

How big are the angels? thats really the question.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 02:32 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
How many full-grown Angels are able to live peacefully in a 75? I am debating whether to get a 75 or a 90 for my next tank, as I want a few pairs of Angels.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Right now the angels are about the size of a quarter. If they were full grown, would that max out the tank with the current number of fish, or would there be room for more?

My 75 gallon 'journal':

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 07:51 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Well angels usually become a size of around 4-6 inches max (just the body), so I Think you would be able to fill out the tetras to 18 like you wanted (both species). After you add those and the angels grow that will probably put you over the general rule of "1inch of fish (body) per gallon of water. But, since you have both an xp2 and xp3 (their capacity put together is more than enough to filter a 75 gallon), and you also have the plants which will help by using the fish waste as nutrients to grow. So with the filters and plants you should honestly be fine by filling out the tetras to 18 of each. If you feel that is a bit much, maybe stock up to 15 or 16 of each instead of 18. You will do fine.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 10:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
The inch per gallon rule is completely worthless. It should be eliminated from the internet and never mentioned again.

I think considering your filtration and the fact it is well planted, that you could add a significant amount of smaller fish. Are you having trouble keeping the tank clean? REalize that all of those fish could easily become angel snacks in the future.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

OK, so I'm supposed to take stocking advice from someone who uses "over_stocked" as their username!?

Anyway, no, no problems keeping it clean. I went to That Fish Place, and bought 4 dwarf neon rainbows and 10 lemon tetras. I think I'm done adding fish now.

My 75 gallon 'journal':

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 02:19 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by over_stocked View Post
The inch per gallon rule is completely worthless. It should be eliminated from the internet and never mentioned again.

I think considering your filtration and the fact it is well planted, that you could add a significant amount of smaller fish. Are you having trouble keeping the tank clean? REalize that all of those fish could easily become angel snacks in the future.
Lol,

I simply mentioned that general rule as a guideline, never once did I reccommend he abide by it or anyone else, even myself. There is no way to produce a means of determining what each individual fish's bioload is, so the 1inch per gallon rule is somewhat useful, of course if you do decide to abide by it, you could easily be able to add more than the inches alloted or less depending on what kind of bioload the lot of fish produce. And as far as what you said about filtration and the live plants, you did nothing constructive for this thread that I didn't already say, besides the fact that the smaller fish could become food for the angels which by common sense would have obtained.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 03:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 20 View Post
OK, so I'm supposed to take stocking advice from someone who uses "over_stocked" as their username!?

Anyway, no, no problems keeping it clean. I went to That Fish Place, and bought 4 dwarf neon rainbows and 10 lemon tetras. I think I'm done adding fish now.
I over stock African Cichlid tanks which is a common practice to reduce aggression.

You chose good fish as they should remain at a "non-edible" size for your angels.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 06:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Just a Heads Aquatic, we like to keep things on topic on these forums, and an Admin is gona mosey over and probably delete the whole arguement and give everyone involved a warning.

It's best to take that sort of foul languge argument to PMs, especially the end of your post, is insainly offensive in languge, so just a friendly warning to be careful with what words you chose in public posts ^^; Can get you into trouble! And no one likes that :[.

So come on guys, let's get back on topic and stop fighting over silly stuff!

---

I think you'd be fine to get some more fish, but as others say, you should keep an eye on your tank as you do this.

If it starts needing to get cleaned constantly, and your paramaters get all screwy, then it might be best to lay off, but hey, it's a large tank, you've got a lot of small fish, AND it's planted! Sounds like a perfect set up for "over stocking", =P.

While the 1in/1g guideline is useful in it's own respect, it's just that, a guideline, you can stray from it easily if the situation arises, and if you have your own guidelines to follow!

With your Angels.. Well, they get really territorial when they pair off, and will chase most fish right out of their new "territory", so I'd say your best bet is to just wait and see who pairs off, and how they treat the other fish/ how much area they "claim", and take out other pairs/non-paired angels if it causes too much of a problem, and just move them to whatever size tank you choose for next .

Good luck!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks! I'm not planning on adding any more fish, at least not until I see how this current load goes for a few months.

My 75 gallon 'journal':

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 06:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Good plan :]
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 07:39 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
it's always best to under stock. It'll save you lots of headaches.. And in a planted tank, it helps with the chances of algae outbreaks.

heh, we got some fire crackers in this forum.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode