How many tries did it take you to get a beautifull planted tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
ER9
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
How many tries did it take you to get a beautifull planted tank?

a few days ago i order all my plants online and had a pretty good idea of what i wanted my tank to look like. i got all my plants today and was excited to plant them all. all plants are healthy and look pretty good on arrival except i'm surprised by a few that look alot different than i pictured.

undaunted i stick to my plan and start planting. after about an hour later i think i'm still trying to get the first group of jungle vals just right. it aint exactlly going like i planed. an hour later, frustrated because plants just dont look right and keep floating away (very hard to plant these suckers without long tweezers) i just decide to stick the damn plants anywhere they will fit. i didn't anticipate filter flow problems and space requirements for some of these suckers. trying to stuff aponogeton boivinainus in a corner because the place i wanted it originally, is in the path of the filter outflow, just aint happening.

to make a long story short...totally frustrated and a little drunk by now...i just start sticking plants wherever they fit. it ends up looking like a deranged gardener went cookoo. not what i thought i could accomplish.

i know it will look better with time when some plants fill out but i wonder how many attemps did it take some of you to get a really nice aquascape you were happy with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 01:33 AM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
Its been 3-4 years and I havent had one yet!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 01:55 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I got it the first time - my tank has been up about 9 weeks now, and (IMHO) looks pretty good.

The plants have been moved and moved and trimmed and replanted, etc. In fact, I just spent 3 hours + planting micro swords with glosso in front for my new / updated foreground.

Planted tanks are "very" time-consuming.

Advice would be to stick with it - you may be finished, but it seems you are never done. That is the hobby!

More advice, without question get the long tweezers - it's totally different, trust me.

Hang in there and post some pics when you get a chance.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 01:57 AM

BTW - please feel free to ask some questions - I'll be happy to try and help out.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 02:16 AM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
All mine are a work in progress, mostly still learning/experimenting. I have a couple grow out tanks where I'm learning about the plant's fert/light requirements and then applying that knowledge to a large tank/scape. After about 2 years I have learned a lot, but still haven't "completed" a tank yet. I am constantly changing/rearranging plants trying to find that perfect balance. I can say that it's been fun so far and I look forward to continuing to learn all that I can.

In the end it comes down to what makes you happy and the overall look that pleases your eye.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
ER9
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks for all your replies. i dont feel so bad now except i'm extremelly pissed right now because i just killed one of my gallexy raspbora by accident. it really pisses me off when they die because of something stupid i do. i was netting my gourami with a huge net and the raspbora was in the net as well. i didn't realize it until it was too late.

actually as random as it turned out....after looking at it more i kind of like the look of it. will try to post a pic.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 02:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
I think I have redone my large tank 2-3 times and really like where its at now. My first nano always looks really bad to me and I have redone that tank like 5-6 times now. The other nano I have always looks really nice and I think its been through 3 resets.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 02:48 AM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
One thing I've done in the past is try to change a few small parts of the scape and the whole thing gets thrown off. My friends make comments about how good it looked prior but I can never remake it the way it was. Then I end up tearing the whole thing down and trying something else.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 02:49 AM

You might want to lose that large net - the more a planted fills in, the more tedious the job becomes.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 02:53 AM

I will say this - if you dose up with ferts and hit it with light and Co2 it will grow in much faster. And, use a lot of plants. The faster the plants grow - it seems the easier it is to "fill in" the holes. Fast growing plants also choke out the algae. I jam mine with 3.7 wpg and have very little algae (knock on wood) - all because the plants are growing like mad. You are also able to see the results much quicker, which gives you the strength to carry on (LOL).
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
ER9
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyEdsul View Post
I will say this - if you dose up with ferts and hit it with light and Co2 it will grow in much faster. And, use a lot of plants. The faster the plants grow - it seems the easier it is to "fill in" the holes. Fast growing plants also choke out the algae. I jam mine with 3.7 wpg and have very little algae (knock on wood) - all because the plants are growing like mad. You are also able to see the results much quicker, which gives you the strength to carry on (LOL).
haha not sure theres going to be much nutrients left over for algae. think i might have planted it a bit too dense. unfortunatelly i only have 2 wpg but i do have yeast co2 system going. my co2 is heading towards 10ppm. not great but what i expected. i'm hoping using good wine yeast will bump that closer to 15ppm.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 03:34 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER9 View Post
.i just start sticking plants wherever they fit. it ends up looking like a deranged gardener went cookoo.
Isn't this how it's done? That's how it's always worked for me. Well, not worked. Just happened. I've never really had a scape. I have one that I'm working on now, but that's because Ingg drew a scape plan for me.

But even with a scape drawing, I've found myself getting stuck with the simplest of things. I had given him pictures of my rocks, and he showed me how to place them (numbered and all). But when I tried to lay it out, I couldn't figure out which way to turn each rock. Maybe this way? Or upright? What about that angle? Should I put this one in lengthwise or across? Which part of the rock looks most natural? On and on and on.

Finally, I got my rocks figured out. I raised a few by attaching some other rocks beneath the decor rocks, and then managed to cut my finger while trimming the dried waterfall foam. So much for getting my scape done. I can't put that hand inside of the tank until it closes off from the stitches.

I think I'm scape challenged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER9 View Post
i was netting my gourami with a huge net and the raspbora was in the net as well. i didn't realize it until it was too late.
I was removing my java ferns form the tank when a leaf dropped to the floor. No big deal. I'll just get it when I'm done.

Then, several minutes later, I looked down to discover the leaf looked very odd. It was a large amano shrimp!

It was out of the water for 10 minutes so I figured it had to be dead. But to my surprise, it was still alive! I put it in the tank, and after a minute, it swam away to a leaf. I've checked all day, and I don't see anything dead in the tank so it might have survived. Probably brain damaged, but alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyEdsul View Post
You might want to lose that large net - the more a planted fills in, the more tedious the job becomes.
I disagree. I have found large nets to be indispensable for planted tanks. The trick is to not chase the fish around. Put the net in and wait. Eventually, the fish will swim in front of the net. Then slowly and carefully pull the net up. Ta-Da! Got the fish! Not a single leaf blade was hurt.

You can only do this with a net so large that the fish can't really tell it's coming after him. Black nets seem to work best.

Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g -
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' —— • 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

• 29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' —-- • 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
• 5g - RCS colony —————————————————— • 2.5g -
Retired
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 03:36 AM
Banned

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via AIM to deleted_user_16
u cant really ask this question, it is hard to anser. because some people find their scapes hideous, but others find it nice.

but

i would say it took me 3 monthes to fill and shape mine to my likings.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 03:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick120 View Post
Its been 3-4 years and I havent had one yet!
Really humble and unassuming. Also complete, total, BS. Follow the links in his sig folks - impeccable tanks.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 03:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (87/100%)
Years to produce anything photo-worthy. I still only produce a nice layout 1 in 5 times I'd estimate but it's getting better every time.

Regards,
Robert

48G Rimless Mr Aqua

37G Oceanic "Cube"

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode