fish for 20 tall - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
fish for 20 tall

Hi all I have a 20 gallon planted tank with amazon swords java moss, banana plant, anachris, dwarf hairgrass, cardinal plants etc. I have a dual t5ho light with 10k bulbs and c02 in it with 60 gallons of filtration. It also has malaysian driftwood. My question is id like 1 or 2 larger fish for my tank. Pretty much the biggest fish I could get for the tank that will live happily their whole life in. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 03:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Since its a 20 high, you only have a 24" footprint.

How about a pair of rams? They are truly some beautiful fish. German/Electric/Bolivian/Gold? Not a big fish but will certainly make for a stunning centerpiece pair.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for relpy I was looking into rams and have waited 3 weeks for my lfs to get some but for some reason they are having problems getting them and finally gave up

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 01:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Ditto the concept that the biggest fish for this small footprint will be something not much larger than about 2".

Relatively sedentary would help.

Mated pair of almost any soft water dwarf size of cichlids:
Kribs (there are several species, might have to order from a breeder), Rams, Anomolochromus thomasi, Apistos (several species)

then a small school of some upper level fish, perhaps match the water system the Cichlids came from, definitely a smaller fish, so you can get enough to make a proper school.
Dwarf Rasboras, smallest Tetras or how about some of the smaller Killies that stay so high up?

Alternate pattern: Show fish at the top, lower swimming school:
Pick one: Betta, Honey Gourami
Pick one species, about a half a dozen fish:
Almost any small Rasbora, Tetra, Barb.
Pick one species, half a dozen:
Any of the Dwarf Cories (C. habrosus, pygmaeus etc.) or their close relatives, Aspidoras
Couple of Otos
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

What would be the best tetra besides neon tetras. I was interested in the red eye tetra. Or something similar but Im wanting something a fish that wont eat all the fish
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Honestly this may sound crazy but I want one larger fish because I had an oscar when I had my larger tank and he was really smart and friendly I could put my hand in tank and he would lay on top my hand and I trained him to do a few tricks but my tank cracked and I had to sell him so thats what I was looking for but in a smaller scale fish.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 04:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

The problem with having large fish in a fully planted tank with driftwood is that there really isn't any space to swim or hide. Small fish can dart in and out of the plants but a bigger fish, not so much.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah I understand what I meant by that was the largest smartest fish I could get for the 20 gallon nothing that would outgrow the tank. Im used to keeping cichlids and larger tanks but im really into planted tanks now and Id just like to find a smaller but smart fish something that could be trained and lived comfortably in the tank
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 01:14 PM
Planted Member

How about a giant Betta. They get larger than they typical Betta, but would still feel like he had plenty of room in a 20 gallon.

Betta sorority--25 Cube tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 01:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Maybe a dwarf gourami? Rams and apistos can become more interactive than your average fish, mine greet me at the glass most of the time, all food related but it's nice to be noticed I guess. .
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 01:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (43/100%)
Female convict which tops at around 3.5", or a Jewel Cichlid which is a bit more slender and tops out at 4". I have kept both in planted tanks with success and you could scape a fully planted tank to accommodate them with enough open swimming room and places for them to hide. Manzanita branches would work best for a scape IMO as the branches do not take up as much room and the fish would be able to weave in and out of the scape.

I have a 20G high currently with a single HM betta and a group of 15 pygmy cories...super active tank and the betta is truly the star of the tank.

3x75 gallons|2x55 gallons|2x50 gallons|3x40 gallons|1x29 gallon|1x10 gallon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 04:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

I have a 20 high with 10 Cardinals and 2 ottos and they really don't do anything but hoover around. I'm afraid to add more due to lack of space. In hind sight, I wish I would have got smaller fish that max out at 1"

I think a small school of 10-15 fish(single species) would be more enjoyable than a single large fish

Can you post a pic of your tank?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you for all the replies I appreciate it I think im going to go with a dwarf gourami I heard they were pretty smart and interactive if not the jewel convict interest me

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode