Leeches:( Help please... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Leeches:( Help please...

I planned on moving my 10g to a new stand today. Drained the water out and began filling it and getting ready to remove the duckweed from it when I notice leeches coming out of the substrate I have lots of malaysian trumpet and ramshorn snails in the tank so if possible I wanted to know if there was a snail safe way to get rid of these creepy critters?

I think they came in on some guppy grass as that is the last plant I added. I wondered why my fish disappeared, now I know.
As a last resort I am willing to dump, dry out and bleech the tank, but only if this is the only option. Too many of them to manually remove, they're in the substrate, which is dirt capped with flora-max and topped with sand.

Also I wanted to know if they can hitch hike to other tanks by moving the snails to another aquarium?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 07:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile Nice Folks Them Leaches Were

Do you have a picture or at least give a description.

If the leeches killed your fish, trust me you would have noticed them. Odds are these guys are just looking to help you with tank maintenance. Fish tend to decompose very quickly and the cleanup crews are very efficient.

Not meaning any offence, but leeches generally require poor water conditions and they will hang out until the water conditions improve.

You have a good start large water changes, 50% plus every 3-days for a couple of weeks, clean every hard surface as well as you can, remove any dead organic material. You can try removing the leeches themselves, but until the water conditions drastically improve they well come back fast.

While you are in there make sure there are no stagnant area, water movement is our friend.

Generally a minor problem in the scheme of things.

Though it is always a good idea to clean, sanitize and/or sterilize (obviously living things cannot be sterilized), the fact is you do not know where the leeches came from, these things simply exist and when the conditions dictate, they appear. It’s a mystery!

Joe
FBTB

Last edited by JoeRoun; 09-03-2014 at 07:52 PM. Reason: y
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 07:58 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
could be planaria, detritus flat worms.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 08:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Smile A Picture is Worth... Well, You Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
could be planaria, detritus flat worms.
That is why a picture or detailed description would be nice, there are many possibilities most benign and with the same “cure.”

Joe
FBTB
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

After the fish went missing I did not pay much attention to this tank. I have a jungle of guppy grass in it and I would replace evaporated water but other than that and throwing in an algae wafer once a week for the snails it has not had a water change for a while. It was on a low shelf under another tank that made it hard to get to. They're not planeria, I had them in another tank and these guys are much bigger, about 1.5 in. when stretched out, and a light brown color. I tried to grab one with tweezers, but it was too fast. My camera is not that good but here is a video of one in my tank:
http://youtu.be/kA9roz0uH64
The photo was worse quality so I opted to take a vid. I put my finger next to the glass to show how long it is.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 10:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Smile Tenacious House Guests

Still cannot tell for sure, but if those were protrusions from the side of the head and should you notice two black dots for eyes, that is a Planaria, a large flat worm.

Not dangerous and just trying to help you clean up. They are very hard to eradicate and incredibly easy to transfer.

Pretty much everything I said earlier applies.

Joe
FBTB
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I cannot see any protrusions on the head, it is so small it just looks like a tapering point, similar to its back end. When it swims its tail end flattens. I will try to catch some and photograph them in a smaller container.

Last edited by Fishnshrimp2; 09-03-2014 at 10:59 PM. Reason: punctuation
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 11:00 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
yeah, that could be a leech.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 09:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Smile Which Way

Does it have a mouth (sucker) at both ends, if so it is a leech?

Anything other than planarians are easier to eradicate. With the ten gallon tank there are quite a few options. The problem with leeches is that unlike just about every other “helper,” Leeches won’t just die off and go away.

How important are saving the plants? Do you have any scale-less fish?

In a sense the plants are likely to be your biggest problem.

Though, really a little salt, a little Potassium permanganate, some water changes and a little patience. Five weeks I figure if you are going to save the plants.

Joe
FBTB

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode