DIY c02 and Excel? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY c02 and Excel?

Does anyone here use a combination of DIY c02 and excel? If so how do you go about doing it? I'm planning on a DIY c02 for my 29 gallon and adding some excel to get the c02 levels a little higher.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 08:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
You can just add it at the recommended doses. I guess you could probably get away with reducing the dosages a bit, as the DIY CO2 will provide carbon as well.

FWIW, the excel doesn't increase co2, it just adds another source of carbon (the purpose of co2 in our tanks) that the plants can use

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 11:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have a 29 that i run DIY and Excell on i currently run 3 2L bottles of DIY and dose 3 caps of Excell daily it seems to work for me keeps most alge in check

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metageologist View Post
I have a 29 that i run DIY and Excell on i currently run 3 2L bottles of DIY and dose 3 caps of Excell daily it seems to work for me keeps most alge in check
That almost seems like overkill (IMO), that is unless you have a more so high tech tank with high lighting. But I guess every person's tank is different and each different person has their own success with their own regimens that other people might not have if they practiced such.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 08:42 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)
Excel also can be seen as a sort of algaecide. DIY CO2 is not very constant, so I think there is nothing wrong with supplementing your tank with Excel, especially if you're having algae issues.

Many individuals with pressurized CO2 also use Excel as well if they are having issues with certain types of algae!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic_Jungle View Post
That almost seems like overkill (IMO), that is unless you have a more so high tech tank with high lighting. But I guess every person's tank is different and each different person has their own success with their own regimens that other people might not have if they practiced such.
Sorry to but in the thread, but this has me thinking of a problem that I have a thread going on. I go by the daily dosing scedual the florish line and all trace. I just lost 3 fish in a day and the only thing I can come back to is my dosing and "Co2" I started pressurized Co2 about two weeks ago, 30bpm, and I haven't changed my dosing at all. Could I be hurting things instead of helping?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by metageologist View Post
One capful is recommended for what is it 40 or 50 gallons. Three capfuls for 29 gallons daily and no issues? Sounds excessive and expensive but it appears to be working for you. Did you try less and experience problems? Or did something else lead you to use this quanity? I'm curious because my non Co2 tanks are medium light and no Co2. One of the 20H's that has been running great for about 4 months now is just starting to get some algae for the first time. I might try upping the doseage if there are not issues. Or maybe I should just spot check the algae individually with excel and keep the doseage the same on a permanent basis.

I believe first time use or after a water change is one capful for 10 gallons which would come out to 3 for 29 gallons but that is not meant to be the daily doseage.

I use excel in 4 of my tanks that are low tech, medium light but no Co2. In my 2 high light Co2 tanks I only use it as a spot check for algae. Currently using it in one of my 55's to eradicate some BBA that has appeared.

Larry Bugg
Atlanta Area Aquarium Association
North American Discus Association - Vice President
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjordan525 View Post
Sorry to but in the thread, but this has me thinking of a problem that I have a thread going on. I go by the daily dosing scedual the florish line and all trace. I just lost 3 fish in a day and the only thing I can come back to is my dosing and "Co2" I started pressurized Co2 about two weeks ago, 30bpm, and I haven't changed my dosing at all. Could I be hurting things instead of helping?
It could depend on a couple of things, more than likey the problem is at night. You see when the lights are off, the plants aren't consuming the co2 during photosynthesis at this time. When the lights are off and they aren't photosynthesizing, they are just like we are, they take in oxygen and produce co2 (instead of taking in co2 and producing oxygen as in photosynthesis). So you may want to either turn the co2 down at night (if possible), or an easier way would be to set up an airstone that runs at night so there is additional sources of oxygen for both the plants and fish.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode