medium grain black blasting sand - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
medium grain black blasting sand

I picked some up yesterday from tractor supply, will the grain size be ok? They didn't have course or extra course, and don't usually carry it. Also what's the best way to rinse this stuff?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 03:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Look on the side of the bag and see if it does not either say 20/40 grit or 30/60 grit.
Sometimes they just place a check mark on the bag over one or the other.
Easiest to pour some into a large tub ,rinse with water while sifting it with your hand.
Pour out the dirty water and repeat until water runs clear and then scoop it out and place it in the tank and repeat the process until you get it all rinsed.
I never rinse the stuff but use a saucer or bowl and fill the tank slowly while letting the water run into the bowl.
Then I let it sit for an hour or two before turning on the filter.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 05:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (45/100%)
I use the medium grade stuff (20/40) in my tanks and it works.

Fill up a large container half way with the sand then add water. Agitate and turnover the sand while adding the water then pour out the grey water when the container is almost full. Repeat this process several times until the water pours out clear.

The Fraternity of Dirt #112

Cryptocoryne farmer

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 05:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you are doing a lot, what I found works well is a kids play pool (and usually cheap enough to buy and dispose of).

I put about 300# in one, set it on ground at a slight angle, and left the hose running stuffed down into the middle. I then shoveled the sand on top of the running water, turning it over and over and over for a long time.

Some of it floats away, a lot of dirty water comes up. When you can dig down and turn it over and no dirt comes up (anywhere) you are golden.

Make a big pile, siphon the water from one side (maybe more than once), let it dry on top of the pile and shovel off from there. Repeatedly pile it up as you take a buck or so inside, it drains very fast, enough to lighten the load bucket by bucket to carry inside.

I first tried a bucket -- it's WAY too hard to stir adequately, and I looked at 6 bags, about half a bucket at a time, and decided I did not have nearly the patience for that.

Linwood

Latest tank build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 06:48 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Just wondering, have you folks never heard of a seive. Always works. Run water through it and wash all the dust away.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
I have the 20/40 grain size. I think i only need one bag for my 26 bowfront, I only needed one for my 30 gallon. I did not rinse that well enough, I tried to do too much at once I guess. I figured it will get better the more I siphon it. Did not want to do the same thing again! Thanks for the tips!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode