City water and Algal Bloom - Bi-Annual Turn Over? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question City water and Algal Bloom - Bi-Annual Turn Over?

Hi,

I'm in the NJ/NYC area and today noticed my tap water tasting a little moldy. I read that Algae can bloom on the surface of lakes, reservoirs, and other water sources. It suppose to go away with colder temps coming in.

My question to you is would doing water changes around this time effect my tank negatively? With the presence of algae in the tap water?

Thanks!

55G Planted Ecoxitoc E-120 abd BML 10k LED Co2 Hi-Tech!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

C02 -EI Fertz - Marci/Bosemani Rainbows - - Bolivian Rams - Torpedo Barbs - Harlequin Rasboras - Otocinclus Cats - Murray River Rainbow - Herbietaxelrodi Rainbows - Iran Red Rainbows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 03:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If your city treats the water with chlorine, chloramine, ultra violet or other sterilizer the algae is likely dead, and filtered out. The remaining taste (or smell) is not enough to make algae grow in your tank.

However, if the water had changed in other ways (mineral content, other) then that might alter how your plants are growing, and this might invite algae to grow. Not because it came in with the water, but because it was there all along, but the plants were out growing it.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for such a quick reply Diana! I feel a little more at ease now.😌

55G Planted Ecoxitoc E-120 abd BML 10k LED Co2 Hi-Tech!

C02 -EI Fertz - Marci/Bosemani Rainbows - - Bolivian Rams - Torpedo Barbs - Harlequin Rasboras - Otocinclus Cats - Murray River Rainbow - Herbietaxelrodi Rainbows - Iran Red Rainbows

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 04:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
The taste may be from algae or other changes in the water supply but it is still safe for drinking or tank use. Algae comes in so many types and forms that it can be found lots of places, even underground. The rotten egg smell used to be thought of as coming from iron deposits underground and people just had to live with drinking bad water. We now find that the iron is not the cause other than there is bacteria who live on the iron and the bacteria cause the smell. We now can just do a bleach soak of the well casing and nearby and the well is good again. Wish I had known that when I was growing up! Lake turnover can change the flavor of water, especially if the lake is getting a pretty heavy dose of phosphates. You don't want to go water ski in a lake that has turned over. Too many gobs of gooey grung floating around. A larger problem in cold areas.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 02:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Dont forget all the old pipes in the info structure that that water travels thur, only RO for me and my fish.
Im in So Ca. With the hardest water in the nation not to mention all the stuff the city adds to it.

125g,75g,50g,40g,27g,10g
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 02:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I just read an article about the world's larger water treatment plant to use ocean water in San Diego. Expensive water and pretty late to get started on building but at least they do have it started.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 03:37 AM
Planted Member

Where i live i have problem with blue alge in the summer the water treatment facility is not big enough for the fast expension of the city. A friend of mine work for the town and inform me that the plant prosessr the water 75% faster then they should so yes in the summer i only do water change with my parent house water from there well and i get my water to drink in bottle too year long until i hear the expend the water treatment facilities

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode