Views:	77
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	365114  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 02:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
That may be bio film or just stuff growing from it being out in the sun. If you want to know if its hard get a liquid test kit for GH and KH (API has a cheap one) or a TDS (total dissolved solids) meter.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Naw it was crystal clear yesterday but I let the hose run in the pool to cycle the salt out and the biofilm appears after some hours of the water sitting.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 03:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Cycle the salt out? Stagnant water and biofilm? Is there some connection you are trying to make with hard water? I'm missing on quite a few points. If you are speaking of trying to remove the salt used in a softener, you are missing how they work but I'm still not getting the connection of the pool pictures and hard water.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 04:29 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Balls and air debri float on the surface of all water though...

post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Really? That the color the water ends up when I bypass my salt system. So yes cycle the softened water out of my pipes.

Air debris? I wish.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 09-03-2014 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 08:44 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeLove View Post
Really? That the color the water ends up when I bypass my salt system. So yes cycle the softened water out of my pipes.

Really. Surface tension is a thing. I could go up to any body of water and float a leaf and especially small airborne particles. As for colors I can't tell any of that from these pics. Unless you have highlight and a clear backdrop we can't really see the water color completely.

But again, I'm going off the fact that you wanted to display water that was really hard and then just posted pics of a pool of water.

It sounds like you may have a reef tank? You keep referring to salt.

It's kind of ironic because ppl around here harp on the fact that they can't help you without pictures....BUT...

and I think the huge BUT here is pictures...in addition to....the explanation.

You just posted pics of a pool of water and said in effect " check out how hard this water is....and salt"

I think we are just asking for the base of the topic you're starting.

No harm no foul. I would genuinely like to hear more.

You may just be on some level above my understanding but just the pics doesn't fully paint a picture of the point.

Is it a saltwater tank you are referring to?

I have liquid rock from my local tap so if you are willing I would love to have a conversation about very hard water.

post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 09:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffturneraz View Post
Really. Surface tension is a thing. I could go up to any body of water and float a leaf and especially small airborne particles. As for colors I can't tell any of that from these pics. Unless you have highlight and a clear backdrop we can't really see the water color completely.

But again, I'm going off the fact that you wanted to display water that was really hard and then just posted pics of a pool of water.

It sounds like you may have a reef tank? You keep referring to salt.

It's kind of ironic because ppl around here harp on the fact that they can't help you without pictures....BUT...

and I think the huge BUT here is pictures...in addition to....the explanation.

You just posted pics of a pool of water and said in effect " check out how hard this water is....and salt"

I think we are just asking for the base of the topic you're starting.

No harm no foul. I would genuinely like to hear more.

You may just be on some level above my understanding but just the pics doesn't fully paint a picture of the point.

Is it a saltwater tank you are referring to?

I have liquid rock from my local tap so if you are willing I would love to have a conversation about very hard water.
Sounds to me like the salt they are refering to is from a water softner
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just never mind. Everyone is thinking about it way too damn hard. The water comes out brown basically when I bypass my water softener, not really such a hard thing to understand. That bucket was filled with water couple hours later it's brown and you can't see to the bottom and it accumulates a nasty biofilm as you see but it's all straight from my well. That pool it's brownish because of my hard water. This isn't hard to get. It's like, did your water ends up brown after sitting in a cup on your kitchen counter? Jesus Christ guys.

This was supposed to be a light hearted topic about the condition that my water comes out of the tap when I bypass the water softener but everyone thought about it trying to figure out some deeper meaning or something...

Last edited by Darkblade48; 09-03-2014 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 02:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I see now that you really don't understand what you are saying. You have a water softener on your system because you need one. It is not there just to pour salt into. It is there to remove what you are complaining about. Duh! Turn off the filtering and softening and what do you get. Raw water! Raw water that has properties that people don't like so they put in equipment to treat the water!
Pretty simple. If you don't want to use a softener and don't want to use the raw water, MOVE! Unlike a plant, you are not stuck in the ground.

A small point on the softener. The salt used is not in your drinking water if it is operating as designed. It is injected into the resin tank and then flushed down the drain. It is not in the softened water. The only salt left in your drinking water is what can't be flushed out during the rinse cycle. Much the same as your dishes after they are washed. There is still some residue left.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 03:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeLove View Post
This was supposed to be a light hearted topic about the condition that my water comes out of the tap when I bypass the water softener but everyone thought about it trying to figure out some deeper meaning or something...

Breath there buddy...

Might have been helpful if you stated that this is what your water looks like when you bypass your filter/softer geez. Hardness in the respect of water chemistry isn't a matter of looks. Some of the softest waters are heavily tannin laden you can't see through them.

Aside from that it looks to me that you get a lot of silt in your well, there are filters that do not use salt that can and will remove that. Knowing what I'm looking at now it reminds me of the Indian Hole well I lived with about 20 years back, it was suggested to the owner (girl friends mom) that she either drill a new well or get a service to sump hers out.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
I see now that you really don't understand what you are saying. You have a water softener on your system because you need one. It is not there just to pour salt into. It is there to remove what you are complaining about. Duh! Turn off the filtering and softening and what do you get. Raw water! Raw water that has properties that people don't like so they put in equipment to treat the water!
Pretty simple. If you don't want to use a softener and don't want to use the raw water, MOVE! Unlike a plant, you are not stuck in the ground.

A small point on the softener. The salt used is not in your drinking water if it is operating as designed. It is injected into the resin tank and then flushed down the drain. It is not in the softened water. The only salt left in your drinking water is what can't be flushed out during the rinse cycle. Much the same as your dishes after they are washed. There is still some residue left.
Lol it still went over your head.

post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

For someone who tries to come off so smart you really missed the ball here. I wasn't asking for explanation I was making a joke about the water like "you say you have hard water but is it this hard" you don't get that? Dang. Sorry dude.

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 04:47 PM
Planted Member

This whole thread is confusing. Is the water supposed to be hard because it's dirty?

I would understand it more if the OP posted pics of his bathroom with mineral deposits etched into the tile or faucet fixtures. All I see is some dirt water.

Edit to add:
I would have even understood what OP was talking about if his pool was frozen or something, too.

You think YOU have hard water? Check this out.

post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Dirty water straight from the tap
It's not dirty just because it's a pool

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode