manzanita driftwood questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
are you experienced?

PTrader: (108/98%)
manzanita driftwood questions

manzanita wood on here and read it doesnt leach tannis then read it does for weeks. im guessing it will also effect ph or kh like other wood?

i wonder why the info from online sources all have different stories about the wood leaching and changing water ph or kh. i know online sources are iffy anyway.

i got some driftwood here on apc that is very rotten in parts. should i wire brush this all off? there wont be much wood left if i do lol.
and is the more soft manzanita ok for the tank? seems like it woldnt leach asbad seeing it so old. this is my 1st manzanita wood and want to know if its any different than the mopani wood characteristics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 02:21 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
my manzanita leeched for about two weeks. one week in the bucket soaking it and then one week or so in the tank. cant answer your ph/kh question but the rotted wood needs to be removed from the good wood.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Join today!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)
If you have a big enough pot, boil the manzanita pieces to accelerate the leaching process.
Also, I have used purigen and fine filter floss to help clear the water of tannins.
Rotten/soft wood I wouldn't put in a fish tank, causes too many problems.

50 gal Planted (Always under construction).......

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
are you experienced?

i bought the wood from badcoponfishtank here last week.
alot of it is rotten and very soft. doesnt look good as half the wood has rotton spots in it and breaks very easily. im sure im the only person who will complain about the wood but seems like half soft wood lol. maybe this is how it looks ive never had it before now. these are older pieces which would probably be good for low tannis but seems to soft.
im used to mopani being hard as a rock lol.

the 2nd pic is what i just rolled off with my hand. theres alot of wood crumbs coming off of it easily in spots. other spots are harder and seem ok.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 08:01 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I'd let him know. Mine wasn't like that.

Since it's an organic product, it's to be expected that every person's batch will be different. How old the wood is, where the wood was found originally, etc. will all play into how much and how long tannins will leech. Mine leeched like crazy for at least 2 months, even though for the first month it was outside in a garbage can with daily hot water changes... I just threw some Purigen in my filter and it took care of that.

Yes, like all driftwood it will affect your water parameters- but how much will be different again from person to person, depending both on your particular batch of wood as well as your particular water parameters.

Like ash said, though, it's usually not something to worry about, other than I probably wouldn't use it in a hardwater African cichlid tank.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
are you experienced?

the 2nd pic had some termites in it at one time.o maybe that why that piece is soft.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 08:55 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Yeppers that would do it!

If it was just that one piece, I'd just not use that one. Jake usually sends lots of wood, so you should still have plenty for your 'scape, right?

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
are you experienced?

the 4 main pieces all have some rot in them. i guess ill just pressure wash and boil these pieces and see what happens with it. i wont buy anymore unless its already sand blasted.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode