A Better Longer lasting DIY CO2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (8/100%)
A Better Longer lasting DIY CO2

A better Longer lasting DIY CO2 Source.

Ok i have seen numerous post saying sugar water yeast and As a home wine maker i gotta say STOP THE MADNESS! Since Yeast needs Certain nutrients to grow and divide properly ill let you in on a better DIY recipe. It will Cost a few bucks more but will last longer and guess what it wont taste bad!

One Can 100% juice Has to be 100% Juice NOTHING ELSE ADDED Juicy Juice is a good brand for this.(any kind works i use Pineapple)

3 cups Sugar,Brown Sugar,or 3 lbs Honey

One package Wine yeast(may be hard to find there is a site grape and granary that sells it pretty cheap)Liquid yeast cost more But Eu de vie can ferment to 21% STRONG WINE!

Mix sugar,juice,and yeast in your bottle and hook it up as normal. This should last a bit longer with a drinkable end product Of course you can still use bakers yeast, but you get a cleaner more powerful ferment with Wine yeast, And usually Wine yeast tastes better not always though, i have had some really good "jail house Hooch"

http://www.grapeandgranary.com/ < all your home wine making needs are covered here or in this case all your DIY co2 needs and Maybe even Pressurized needs (sold for home beer making)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 03:30 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Very interesting!

I think it's worth a try just for the:
"Is that for your fish tank?"

"NO! I'm making us homemade wine. I just happen to be venting the excess gas into the fishtank so it doesn't smell. Clever huh?"

"Yeah right"

Fluval Pimp #3
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 03:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
How long does this mixture last?

Dave

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 04:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
Is their stability to this mixture? What type of longevity are we talking here?

From a DIY stand point, its pretty ingenious, but from a cost comparison to the "bread and butter" DIY CO2 mixture, then its quite a leap. Your looking at almost 10 bucks a batch (if not more, once you get the yeast and juice, etc.) as opposed to the less than $1 a batch of the "bread and butter". (unless the yeast packet can be used for multiple batches which I can't tell)

So unless their is some serious long term cost savings or benefit, I am skeptical.

But none the less, still nice to see something new in the DIY world!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 04:59 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccreedy View Post

From a DIY stand point, its pretty ingenious, but from a cost comparison to the "bread and butter" DIY CO2 mixture, then its quite a leap. Your looking at almost 10 bucks a batch (if not more, once you get the yeast and juice, etc.) as opposed to the less than $1 a batch of the "bread and butter". (unless the yeast packet can be used for multiple batches which I can't tell)

So unless their is some serious long term cost savings or benefit, I am skeptical.

Yeah, but would you want to drink your "Bread & Butter" DIY mix?
Also, I thought I came across a post saying with the wine mix you could pour off the "spent" liquid and re-use the sluge in the bottom to re-start the process.
Maybe somebody who's tried it can post....

50 gal Planted (Always under construction).......
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
To bad I didn't know this back when I was married. My ex would have loved to have had excuse for the house smelling like a winery when his parents came over. I could have had all kinds of planted tanks with DIY CO2.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 07:42 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Well I'm not sure if I am convinced to switch from water to juice, but I can vouch for ditching baker's yeast. In my case I am using champagne yeast, as I was told it is the most resistant to acid, the build up of which is supposed to be what limits CO2 production.

I found an alcoholic beverage store that sells supplies for home brewers and purchased several 2 oz. packs of dry champagne yeast for $1.50 each. The guy there did confirm that champagne yeast resists acid build up best and told me each package could last at least a year properly refrigerated (never frozen though). I only use a 1/8 teaspoon every week, and I would guess one pack is at least a two month supply in that case.

It is far superior to baker's yeast. Previously I had 1 cup of sugar for 1/8 teaspoon baker's yeast, and it would die off by the end of the week. Now I have 1 1/2 cups of sugar for 1/8 teaspoon champagne yeast and it will bubble for more than 3 weeks. And it produces a greater amount of CO2 due to the increase in sugar.

Since the cost of the yeast is so cheap, I just throw out the entire mixture and make a new batch. No idea what the mixture would taste like though, not brave enough to try it.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

Well i can get wine yeast locally it cost me .79 for a foil package of dry wine yeast. Each foil pack is enough yeast to do 5 gallons so yes you can do more than one 2 liter bottle from one package. I would Divide each packet into 5.

As far as stability it is MUCH more stable. Yeast needs acid,nutrients,and Sugar to grow properly the "bread and butter mix" doesn't provide anything but sugar. I suppose you could buy a commercial acid blend and Yeast Nutrient and still use Sugar,water and yeast but IMHO juice just works better.

Longevity i cant guarantee any thing but i have had home made wine take up to 2 months to stop producing CO2 depending on the yeast used.The key here is to use a yeast that can ferment to High Alcohol volume i recommend either Wyeast Eau de Vie 21%(which is liquid only) Or Lallamand K1-V116 which can go to 20% and a good overall choice is Red Star Montrachet. I do know the two liter batchs with juice seem to last 3 to 4 weeks as apposeed to 2 but then again that could simplely be that the sugar in the juice is more complex that White table sugar and ferments slower.

The Big sell point of doing it this way is the fact that you can drink it and it will taste FAR better than the plain sugar/water DIY CO2, Just make sure that if you want to drink it that their is NO WAY any tank water can get into it, i have 2 check valves AND a gas Seperator for just that purpose lol.

As far as cost savings if you are already a Wine drinker then yes BIG TIME savings making your own over store bought. But as far as Just to provide CO2 it prolly does cost more.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRB77 View Post
Also, I thought I came across a post saying with the wine mix you could pour off the "spent" liquid and re-use the sluge in the bottom to re-start the process.
Maybe somebody who's tried it can post....
This can be done and will work IF the alcohol didn't get high enough to Kill all the yeast, the "Gunk" is referred to as Lees in wine making, is is mostly yeast that has settled out. Lots of Old time home wine makers went Batch to Batch this way bit i wouldn't do it if your planning on drinking it.

Providing a Sterile environment is most important to make quality wine, so if your not gonna drink it i would try it and see if it works if you plan on drinking it Clean and sterilize the bottles well!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 05:32 AM
Lnb
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
Quote:

I can vouch for the champnage yeast. My first batch lasted 2 months. Nothing fancy, just tap water, sugar, baking soda and the yeast.

Side benefit is after it stops bubbling you can drink it to ease any pains you may have.

I see you're feeling better Vance.

Eheim #293 ~ 2 x 2217 ~ 1 X 2215 *** Filstar #138 ~ XP 1 x 2
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 01:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
Well Vance, looks like your onto something. Perhaps a nice write up on a step by step procedure??

Could be nice to add to the articles section for DIY CO2.

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnb View Post

I see you're feeling better Vance.
Nope not really feeling better, as with any Degenerative bones and Arthritis their are good days with minimal pain, Moderate days with the normal amount of pain, and Bad days where i just want to lay in the bed in the fetal position and not move. Most days are Moderate, i do get lucky and have a few minimal days here and their but its not because im drinking my DIY CO2 if that's what you were getting at, Actually i rarely drink. Way i see it ya i could get drunk and not feel anything but then when i wake up ill be in pain AND have a hangover not fun lol
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Well Vance, looks like your onto something. Perhaps a nice write up on a step by step procedure??

Could be nice to add to the articles section for DIY CO2.
Sure i could do that!
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 07:18 PM
Lnb
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vance71975 View Post
its not because im drinking my DIY CO2 if that's what you were getting at, Actually i rarely drink. Way i see it ya i could get drunk and not feel anything but then when i wake up ill be in pain AND have a hangover not fun lol
Why would I even think that you're drinking the Co2 juice? Besides you've got all of the really good home made stuff ............. yummy!

Wish I had the time to make my own wine. My neighbor does it and it's a tremendous amount of work and money involve. Though the finished product is well worth it.

White, Red or Rose'?

Eheim #293 ~ 2 x 2217 ~ 1 X 2215 *** Filstar #138 ~ XP 1 x 2
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnb View Post
Why would I even think that you're drinking the Co2 juice? Besides you've got all of the really good home made stuff ............. yummy!

Wish I had the time to make my own wine. My neighbor does it and it's a tremendous amount of work and money involve. Though the finished product is well worth it.

White, Red or Rose'?
i do a lot of odd wines. Pineapple,Blueberry,Orange. i really don't make conventional wines.i have done a nice Blush from Tomato.

Small batch wine isn't really costly, it only gets real expensive when your doing 5 gallons at a time or doing wine from kits, but a jug of Apple Juice at the store is less than 4 bucks, few cups of sugar,some yeast and your good to go.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode