Light for 5.5 gallon? Lamp vs. hood - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (3/100%)
Light for 5.5 gallon? Lamp vs. hood

I'm going to be setting up a 5.5 gallon planted tank. I'd kind of prefer for it to be lower tech for less maintenance. It looks like my choices are A) Hampton Bay desk lamp (assuming I can find one) with a 27 watt compact fluorescent bulb; or B) standard hood with 14 watt 15 inch fluorescent bulb.

Is the 27 watt going to necessitate serious ferts and CO2?

Someone is selling this Hagen CO2 system on Craigslist. Is that at all better than standard DIY CO2? Would it be a good option for growing more challenging plants in my new "nano"?

Thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 08:53 PM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
yes you will need ferts and DIY co2 with 27watts. i didnt dose or use CO2 for a week to see what would happen and i had a green dust algae and a hair algae outbreak.

you should get the desk lamp. growing plants will be so much more rewarding and will make up for the added effort
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris127 View Post
you should get the desk lamp. growing plants will be so much more rewarding and will make up for the added effort
Consider me sold.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 09:18 PM
Anti iwagumi

woo!!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 02:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
I have several 5.5gal tanks. One has this the 12" model while another has a DIY hood I made with the CF spiral bulbs. They both are high light with DIY co2 and ferts. The one with the 70 dollar hood looks more professional but they both grow plants equally well and pearl about the same.

The DIY hood cost me about 20 bucks to make but I can upgrade to two CF bulbs pumping out close to 10wpg in the tank. I think you can get the desk for about 20 and not have to make anything, which would be my choice.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 03:57 AM Thread Starter

OK, I got the lamp today and, as advertised by all the fish enthusiasts, it was $19.97.

And I learned from some searches here that the Hagen CO2 setup is not really any better than a DIY setup. But I'm afraid I might not be DIY enough to do the Coke bottle sort. So I'm going to sit on it for another day, but at $20 for the Hagen stuff (minus the airline tubing I think) plus three kinds of fertilizer, I might just snag it. We'll see.

Thanks again for the input! I hope no one gets sick of me as I overthink every aspect of this new tank -- I'll try not to ask any REALLY stupid questions.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 04:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris127 View Post
yes you will need ferts and DIY co2 with 27watts. i didnt dose or use CO2 for a week to see what would happen and i had a green dust algae and a hair algae outbreak.
*gulp* Really? Damn, now I have to figure out how this DIY CO2 voodoo stuff works. /o\

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pimp Club Member #313
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 04:17 AM
Anti iwagumi

DIY CO2 is easier than baking!

1 cup o sugar
1 tbsp of yeast
(some people add 1tsp of baking soda i think. i dont, but i still get a lot of CO2 and it starts up in about an hour)
enough water to fill your bottle 3/4 the way
shake it up, cap it, put the hose into a diffuser, and voila!

thats the recipie that works for me in my 1 liter gatorade bottle. lasts about a week. for a 2 liter i just double it and it lasts 2 weeks ish.

and ive seen people running the tube from their CO2 bottle into another bottle filled with just water and then the tube from that bottle into the diffuser.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 04:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Hm, I don't mean to jack this thread (doing it anyways, hrhr!), but is there a foolproof way to keep the connection b/w airline and bottle tight? Would I use glue or silicone? And couldn't I just get by with Excel? I also have a HydroII sponge in this 5.5, so I'm not entirely sure how much CO2 would survive even for a minute...

I am using a Hagen system on my 15g with great success, so I'm not against the DIY idea altogether.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pimp Club Member #313
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 04:34 AM
Anti iwagumi

i use this stuff i call roof goo(idk the real name ) my dad used it when we put up our metal roof. its like gum that doesnt harden over time. silicon would probably work too.

excel might be better than injecting co2 since you have so much surface agitation, but im not sure so dont take my word for it
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 08:39 AM

PTrader: (8/100%)
i use the Clip on "shop lights" from Ace hardware with a 6500k "twisty" bulb from wal Mart for my smaller tanks. the fixture is like 9 bucks and comes with the cone type reflector.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 11:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
[quote=Aquarist_Fist;666675]
but is there a foolproof way to keep the connection b/w airline and bottle tight?

I will have to dig for the post. But there is on on the web about DIY Co2 that is one of the best. In it he describes how he does it. This is the easiest, most foolproof way I have found.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXG849

I tried to find these fitting locally but couldn't. Tower Hobbies is fast on the shipping and the cost of the fitting is cheap. Drill the hole in the cap and screw in the fitting. I use a little aquarium silicone to be sure but it probably isn't necessary. The nipple is the size of you tubing.

Larry Bugg
Atlanta Area Aquarium Association
North American Discus Association - Vice President
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 07:29 PM
Anti iwagumi

this is how i have mine hooked up..

cut the airline diagonally so the hole you put it in doesnt need to be bigger than the tube itself. then, add something to seal it (soft putty, silicon, roof goo , etc) you only need to seal the outside of the cap.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 07:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
[quote=Bugman;666892]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarist_Fist View Post
will have to dig for the post. But there is one on the web about DIY Co2 that is one of the best. In it he describes how he does it. This is the easiest, most foolproof way I have found.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXG849

I tried to find these fitting locally but couldn't. Tower Hobbies is fast on the shipping and the cost of the fitting is cheap. Drill the hole in the cap and screw in the fitting. I use a little aquarium silicone to be sure but it probably isn't necessary. The nipple is the size of you tubing.
I found the link here it is

http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

Larry Bugg
Atlanta Area Aquarium Association
North American Discus Association - Vice President

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode