not sure what this is - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
not sure what this is

I have a breeding set of blue rams. I did a water change today. and Now this is what she is doing. I checked the quality and it is right where it should be. No spikes in anything. None of the other fish are acting like this. I put an air wand thinking that she needs air. I did notice that her gills seem a little puffed out. I have a heavily planted tank so I would like to not to use toxic meds. I know that I said they were a breeding pair but I have never seen them lay eggs. She got really fat and then poof she wasn't anymore. If she does die what do I do with the male? Will he take to a new female? (the stains on the back of the photo are hard water stains I scrub them off but they reappear)I have
0 ppm ammonia
0 ppm nitrite
between 10 ppm - 20 ppm nitrate
my ph is high it is always high I drawl off a well
it can be 7.8-8.0
I have another set of gold rams in another tank with the same quality of water and they have laid eggs 2x's already.
I'm wondering if she is getting up in the years. I do not know how old she is she was full grown when we got the set of rams. The male is 3xs her size.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7922.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	364682 Please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 12:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Rams are almost always bottom fish, or at least the lower half of the tank.
They may investigate all over, but they usually make the center of their territory a flat rock in the bottom of the tank.

Any fish with sort of puffed out gills may have a problem.
When this fish also spends time at the top of the tank I know there is a problem. Most especially when it is a species that is normally found lower in the tank.

Any fish might gulp air or water rich in oxygen at the surface of the tank, or can learn there is food up there, so come up to eat. (I have seem more than one Pleco swimming up side down to catch flakes off the surface).

Look into the various parasites that can infest the gills. Ich is one of them. Have you added any new fish to this tank recently? There are other parasites that are slower to attack. Several fish diseases can affect the gills. Read up about Flavobacteria columnare. Usually makes its appearance as a grey or white patch on the fish, but can also attack the gills.

Her age could be a problem. I understand these are not long lived fish.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode