Substrate Q's - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Substrate Q's

I just picked up 50 lbs. of Turface Pro and was wondering if it would be better to add if first then cap it or mix it with my gravel. The grave I'm getting is about the same grain size as the Turface. What I'm wondering and concerned about is the Turface clouding up when I do gravel maintanance.
Thanks,
Fred
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 05:13 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Good ? since I'm picking up the same stuff but I don't plan on capping or mixing it..
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 02:49 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
You don't generally do "gravel maintenance" on planted tanks. It can be difficult on/break the plant roots. I haven't used Turface personally but I hear it's pretty lightweight, and would be likely to be sucked out of the tank if you tried.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 08:15 AM
Algae Grower

uhm yeah it is pretty light weight, just like the scuhltz aqua soil that i use in my 10. I didint top mines off with anything, and plants are rooting very nicely. But i think if you do decide to cap, just top it over.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Good deal. I just did the gravel last night and I capped it. SO now for the 64 dollar question..which comes first..the fish or the plants??
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 12:44 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

Plants. Hands down.

You need to cycle the tank before adding fish. I'd recommend fishless cycling: http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article14.html

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I already have established tanks holding the livestock for the 125 thats going to be planted. I ws just seeing if I had to plant first then add fish or if I can put the fish back in then add plants or if it doesn't matter.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 04:33 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

If it's already an established tank then it doesn't matter so much, but personally I'd still plant first just b/c then the fish won't be in the way.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode