Ever had a fish Dissappear? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (8/100%)
Ever had a fish Dissappear?

My pictus catfish is just Gone, no remains in the tank, no fish on the floor, nothing he is just Gone, How can a 3 inch fish just Vanish? I seen him alive and Swimming 3 days ago Now he is just gone, I tore out ALL the rock work to make sure he wasn't hiding and nothing. Can Cory cats consume a body that fast???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
if you have snails in your tank they could eat it that fast
not sure on cories eatign another fish but i dont see why not

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Join today!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 01:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
I would say its a normal thing. Stuff disapears in my tanks all the time, even my 10g, 20 yellows disapeared without a trace.

Get used to it

-Andrew

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 01:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
I had a pair of nannacara anomala disappear in my 10g a couple months ago. I have no idea why or how, but I searched the tank and there was no trace. They seemed healthy cuz they spawned a week before they disappeared. It happens, I guess.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
do you have a cat or dog? maybe there WAS a body on the floor and they took advantage. course with a pictus id be alitle worried with those spines they have.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 02:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (34/100%)
Obviously nothing "disappears" unless you left the door open and your aquarium-enthusiast neighbor made a visit with a net one night. (Have you checked his tank? )

I've had things become no-where-to-be-found. Often they are found later (under the stand all dried up and full of dust bunnies, under the couch nearby--really!) and if not then they obviously died and someone else in the tank ate them.

I've had 6 jae barbs, 3 penguin tetras, one female German Ram and about 3-4 otos all "disappear in the last year or so from my 72 gal...(and that does not include those I did find all dried up under the stand later on).
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 04:00 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
I had a loach disappear. It turned out he was jumping into the HOB compartment.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 04:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

I've caught a fish "disappearing" 10 minutes after it died. Between shrimp, snails, and other fish, the dead fish was just a skeleton within 5 minutes, and nothing within 10
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
I had an injured guppy "disappear" in a few minutes. I knew it was somewhere in the tank, but couldn't find it. Although I did not take everything out to find it.

I also recently lost my blue german ram. One night he was hanging at the surface, but I had raised the CO2 too high so I thought that's what was stressing him. Next morning, no trace of him.

I also lost a microrasbora. I always try to count, but they're very small. Finally, I realized that I had one less than before. I have no idea what happened.

I've lost ottos, guppies, pygmy cories and probably some amanos and RCS along the way. I know the fish and inverts in the tank are eating the remains. But the tanks have so many fish, inverts and plants that I can't find the dead bodies before the fish clean them up. That's just part of their life cycle. This is one reason why I try to remove any sick fish the very instant I see it. Because if that fish dies, I know the others will feast on it, possibly becoming infected with whatever got the first fish.

I also just find it hard to count fish when I have a school of them. My dwarf chain loaches move so fast, I can never tell how many I have. And try counting 39 amanos in a planted 75g tank? No way! Who knows how many are in there now.

In all cases, my tanks have closed lids with my 75g having a canopy in addition to the glass lids. So the fish aren't jumping out. Nature is just doing what nature does.

I'm sorry you lost your catfish. But maybe you'll get lucky and find it alive and well in a few days. I've seen posts on here before with people having lost various fish, mostly catfish and plecos, even after tearing up their tanks, trying to find them, only to find absolutely no sign of them. And then a few days later, they either turn up dead on the floor or alive and well in the tank. It's amazing how well some fish can hide.

Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g -
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' —— • 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

• 29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' —-- • 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
• 5g - RCS colony —————————————————— • 2.5g -
Retired
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Now you guys want a REAL laugh. I had all the lights in my room off save the one on the new tank next to my bed, and Lo and behold who do i see happily swimming along the front of the tank munching on the shrimp pellets i put in at lights out for the Corys, The pictus catfish! After i literally had EVERY SINGLE piece of rock out looking for him he just "Shows up at feeding time" I guess if a fish don't wanna be found you ain't gonna find him!

Talk about relieved i didn't want to tell my 7 year old son his fish was dead!
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 01:00 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
heh, my sister's pleco was found all dried up behind the tank a few days ago. She hasn't told the kids yet.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 01:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have 4 loaches dissapear and only 2 show up at a time. I don't want to rip apart the tank so i am just leaving it at that they a got buried or something or died and have been eaten. Now i only see 2 at a time never more never less.

Thanks
Jonathan/SeaSerpant

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 01:41 AM
Algae Grower

I have had 2 nerites go AWOL on me. Still have seen no signs of their shells anywhere. Both have left the tank when they cleaned up all of the algae in the tank, but did they really think that leaving the water would lead them to more algae?

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugzboltz View Post
I have had 2 nerites go AWOL on me. Still have seen no signs of their shells anywhere. Both have left the tank when they cleaned up all of the algae in the tank, but did they really think that leaving the water would lead them to more algae?
I don't know about the freshwater kind but SW Nerites are Intertidal and tend to like to climb up out of the water to rest like they do when the tide goes out.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 02:12 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by vance71975 View Post
I don't know about the freshwater kind but SW Nerites are Intertidal and tend to like to climb up out of the water to rest like they do when the tide goes out.
That's interesting - I do notice that they do sometimes hang around the upper corners of the tank just under the surface of the water. Well, I guess the tide's not coming back in for the 2 missing ones!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode